Is the Z1/Z2 right for me?

Which would suit me better?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which would suit me better?

• Eclipse 6610
    • Avic Z1/Z2
    • Other (please specify below)

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, and am not trying to stir the waters with my question. However, I'm in need of some good advice.

6 months ago, I was 100% sold on the Z1/Z2. Now that I'm within a few months of purchasing one, I'm having second thoughts. I've read so many issues with routing...which is not what I want to hear if I drop $1500. However, I've also read many individuals in the SoCal area claim routing is fine in our area. So, I've been looking at the Eclipse 6610 now.

If I had to rank in order of importance, I'd rank functionality as:

1) NAV/routing - very important

2) iPod - very important

3) Video (for additional monitors in the back seat - I like how the 6610 can have video running for other monitors...is the Z2 capable of this?) - important

4) Bluetooth (sounds like the 6610 uses Parrot BT?) - somewhat important

5) Sirius/traffic - somewhat important

6) Rear camera - somewhat important

7) Voice recognition - somewhat important

8) Screen / Appearance / resolution - not that important

9) HDD - not that important

I'm not too concerned about audio quality, since I'm not an audio nut. OEM systems sound fine to me, so I'm sure I'd be happy with the 6610 or Z2. I'm torn, because I REALLY wanted the Z2...but the routing thing would be a huge show-stopper for me.

With the above ranked in order of importance, what would you HONESTLY recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

1-eclipse

2-z1

3-same

4-z1

5-same

6-same

7-never used it on either

8-menus and maps- z1, video-eclipse

9-6610 does not have a hard drive

if you decide on a z1, i got a barely used one for sale with bluetooth and ipod

Misfit,

Thanks for your opinion! Why are you selling your Z1? Are you getting something different?

Just the routing alone, might sway me more towards the Eclipse. I'll be curious to see what other say as well (even though I realize I'm on an Avic forum).

Many thanks!

gonna try the d3. i never keep anything too long.

i shouldnt really say the routing is bad. both of them will take you half ass ways sometimes. its actually just a couple of little things that the eclipse did during navigation that i liked better.

The Z1 gives multiple route choices when it calculates your trip. It will display each route on the map with estimated time and distance.

Pick the one you like and go. If you miss a turn or freeway exit, it will automaticly and quickly recalculate your route. The gps tracking is very accurate. Nice thing about the HDD is that you don't have to load nav disks. I got a refurbed Z1 on ebay for $1400. and a 2 year money back warranty from Square-Trade for $126.

The unit came factory packed in a brown box and in brand new condition.

Here is a cool link where you can check out the features of the Z1.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... NTEGRATION

I've been having this same debate for some time now. Why not go with the Kenwood DNX7100? It's a little cheaper at CF than the Eclipse and it seems to review pretty good. I am looking at getting this unit instead. I like the USB port......

I'm not a professional by any means, just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in there.

Thanks guys!

Misfit,

I might be PM'ing you in the next month, if you still have Z1 for sale. Did you use the ipod module? I've heard it's a bit clumsy. I have an ipod module for one of my other DEH HU's, and it's extremely slow (but works).

Namasaki,

I completely overlooked the number of routing choices. If you were in a completely new city and needed to get somewhere, would you be 100% confident that the nav is doing it's job? I've been reading of many negative comments about the nav making people do illegal u-turns, forcing them to south several miles even though they needed to go north, etc... Sorry for all the questions, but do the route choices get overlayed on the map so you can see each one before you decide on the route?

joebanks,

The Kenwood looks like a nice unit as well, and is definitely another one I'll be looking at. It looked like the only downfall to this unit, is the complexity of using it (which I'm okay with). The choices are killing me.

As I said, routing is the most important thing for me...then ipod integration (which I've heard is painfully slow on the Z1 unless you have tons of playlists). Can anyone comment on the Kenwood? Thanks for your input everyone!

When the Z1 first calcs your route it displays choice #1 which will be determined by your preference settings that include shortest,fastest,avoid freeways,avoid ferreys,etc.etc..

With a map of route choice #1 there will be a touch bar of numbers to the left. there will be apx up to 7 route choices. As you touch the various numbers, their corresponding route map will be displayed. When you decide which one you like, you press the ok button. I am learning to trust the routing more and more. Today I used it to find a jet ski shop and thinking that it was taking me off the freeway too soon, I ignored the directions and took a latter exit. Turned out that the Z1 was right and I was wrong. Someone had told me the location incorrectly.The Z1 tried to take me to it the easiest way. It seems that it usally tries to route you so that your destination will be on the right side of the street. I played around a little with other navs at Al and Ed's and did not see anything as nice as the Z1/Z2. There menus are very extensive but easy to navigate once you get used to them. I chose the Z1 over the Z2 because of the abillty to bypass the Z1.

Many thanks, Namasaki! I ended up heading to Best Buy an hour ago, just to look at the system. It looks like a very nice and intuitive unit. Ultimately, it'll come down to whether or not I think the routing will be good enough for me. This is something I'll need to research more.

I appreciate your honest feedback! It seems that some say it's fine, some say it's okay, and others say it's unacceptable. Thanks again for the feedback!

Gary

I am also trying to decide between eclipse and a pioneer z1 (bypass is critical to me). i am heavily leaning towards z1 after reviewing the posts on this forum. My only remaining concern is with the Z1's map discs. How up to date are they? I live in Phoenix,AZ so i am in a major city... I have read in a few places that they are somewhat out of date. Are they newer or older the the N3?

I have also read that the Z1's imported music (from cd) is laking in playback quality, a couple of posts flamed it pretty bad, does everyone consider this accurate?

thx

Fenton, in regards to your questions. I have ripped 3 cd's onto the HDD and the playback quality from the library sounds the same as it does playing the discs no loss and no distortion at all. In the audio settings, there is a high pass filter that you can set at 50hz,80hz or 125hz. This filter is for the front and back 6" speakers. The sub woofer channel has a seperate low pass filter. The high pass filter will not allow freqs bellow the setting to be sent to your front and rear speakers. I found that by setting the high pass on 80hz, I get good clean bass with no distortion no rattling and no buzzing. 6" speakers don't handle anything under 80hz very well.

The Z1 also has 12 band EQ's. Several pre-set and 2 custom. The Z1 will

allow and remember different custom EQ settings for various audio choices ie: am/fm, XM, Library, It's like having 6 or more seperate custom 12 band EQ's.

Thanks you for the detailed response regardingt he sound quality of the digital rip! It has relieved any concerns I had in that respect.

What about the map DB on the Z1 though? Is it newer, older or the same as the n3? From what I have read the N3 uses the 60m disc and maps/firmware, does the z1 have all the same data as the N3 in regards to navi? I am torn between getting a z1 and getting an N3 w/ a p6 changer add on. It is important to me to have a navi that will have at least reasonably up to date information.

THX