AVIC411.com

Added security

Hey everyone, First time post, long time reader!! :D Just would like to say thanks for this great forum. It has been so much help!!

So to my topic or more of a suggestion. How about, if enabled, a security pin code needed to allow use of the unit! I thought of this because I live in and near the city and alot of times I have to put my Truck in a garage. I would just hate for a parking attendant to be able to turn the unit on and gain access to all my stored names, phone numbers and addresses. I can see this a very big security problem. As of now does anyone know a way around this. I really hope Pioneer puts this into the upgrade software!!

Thanks for reading if you did!!

P.S. A mute button wouldn't hurt as well!
This might be a stupid thought but sometimes the dumbest ideas are the best. I remember that ages ago, the best security system was a self installed kill switch where you were the one who designed it and placed it. No one would know where it was. How about taking the 12V switched line and run it through a toggle switch before going to the Z1 and hide it under the seat or something. Then when you take it somewhere, flip the toggle switch the Z1 will think you turned the car off and untill you flip the switch again, when the car is on or off it won't boot up and won't come on. It's kind of simple and old school, but it would probably get the job done.
[quote name="hasher13"]Hey everyone, First time post, long time reader!! :D Just would like to say thanks for this great forum. It has been so much help!!

So to my topic or more of a suggestion. How about, if enabled, a security pin code needed to allow use of the unit! I thought of this because I live in and near the city and alot of times I have to put my Truck in a garage. I would just hate for a parking attendant to be able to turn the unit on and gain access to all my stored names, phone numbers and addresses. I can see this a very big security problem. As of now does anyone know a way around this. I really hope Pioneer puts this into the upgrade software!!

Thanks for reading if you did!!

P.S. A mute button wouldn't hurt as well![/quote]

That is one helluva idea! I had never thought of that! What I had thought of is I need to take the car in for some warranty work and I hate the thoughts of everyone in the shop playing around with it. But you are correct...they would have access to your data.

Steve (Ducatiboy) also makes an excellent suggestion until such a thing as a password can be implemented. It's such a good idea I'm going to do it. It will take about 20 minutes to do too.

There is a "suggestion" thread in the hacks forum. I would add this password idea to that thread. That way, maybe they can do something with it when they hack the OS and hard drive.
[quote name="hasher13"]Where is that suggestion by Ducatiboy? I looked in the hack section and could not find it![/list][/quote]

He was referring to my suggestion in this thread talking about putting in a hidden switch somewhere to make it so the unit wouldn't turn on with the key. It's like cheap security.

As for the hack section, there is a "wish list" thread that people were hoping Pioneer was reading and he was saying that maybe you (or someone) should post something in the "wish list" thread and maybe if Pioneer reads it they will include it in a future software update or if people get really good hacking the hard drive us customers might be able to add it. But I would be VERY amazed if any of us could do more than add music to the drive or change boot up pictures and stuff. Changing the way the unit functions would require major code re-writes I would guess.
I'm also concerned about access to private data in the Z1 when my vehicle is brought in for repair. I believe the best option would be to have Pioneer implement a firmware update to include an option for a PIN number to lock the Z1 at boot time. Once unlocked it would stay unlocked (so you don’t have to enter each time you start your vehicle) unless you enter a PIN to lock it.

For now, I've thought of installing one of these options;

1. A keypad switch (similar in operation to the ones used for externally mounted garage door openers – but smaller)

2. A simple keylock switch on the dash

3. A lock on the access door (My Navigator has a door that closes and covers the Z1 completely). I’m leaning towards this option as it protects my screen from being poked at by an upset mechanic who can’t get the Z1 to boot if I used one of the other options. I would need to include a “door locked” indicator so a mechanic doesn’t think that the door is jammed and try to repair it. :roll:

Of course all these options are just to keep the honest people from playing with the Z1.
I wonder if it would be possible to somehow tie the Z1 into your aftermarket alarm. Like when you put your alarm in valet mode, it will also keep the z1 off. That way, if you are getting your vehicle valet parked or worked on in a shop, you can put the alarm in valet mode, which will then put the z1 in some sort of sleep mode preventing it from booting up when in valet mode. Is that something that is possible?