AVIC411.com

Can I Input My Own Route?

I have an AVIC-Z1 and am going to be driving from Maryland to Toronto, Canada and then from Toronto to Ottawa, before returning to Maryland. Looking at my home address and the address of the first hotel in Toronto, using Yahoo Maps, Google Maps and Mapquest, I get routes that claim to only take me 9 hours to get to my destination. Inputting the same hotel address into my Z1, I get a route that appears to be taking me the long way, as the time it says to travel there is 14 hours and 22 minutes. I'm already less then thrilled to be driving anywhere for 9 hours, but that sounds better than 14 hours behind the wheel. is there a way to take the Google Maps directions or Yahoo, Mapquest, etc, and load the route into my AVIC-Z1? If I drive the way the computer printout tells me to go, at what point will the AVIC-Z1 reroute and decide to then go the way Yahoo, Google and MapQuest are telling me to go now? I don't want to have to listen to the nav voice for 9+ hours constantly telling me that I should make a legal U-turn at the next street, or whatever it needs to say to keep trying to get me to go the way it originally wanted me to. My hope would be that eventually, it would logically default to a route that it should have chosen from the very beginning. Even choosing one of the other 5 routes that is color-coded along the side of the screen, NONE of them are are short as the Google, Yahoo or Mapquest routes.

You have the option to change the route when you select the destination. You can also add in waypoints along the route so that you can make it take the route you want it to. But it is a pain in the ass. I came from using a real GPS where you could build your own and this was a major pain in the ass for me to get used to. But the short answer is no. I wish there was that option.

If you don't mind, tell me more. You are saying that with waypoints, I can touch the screen and make it use the highways that Yahoo, Mapquest or Google offers up as driving directions? Rather than looking at 8x10 printer paper in my lap, I'd rather my $2K navigation system talk me through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario province.

Find some POI or addresses along the route you would like to take. When you go to leave for your trip, enter them like you were really going there, and the nav will count them as way points (stops along the way to your final destination.) You can have five of them, and your final destination

Mapquest claims 8 hours 51 minutes and 540.59 miles total. Highlights are 29N to I-70W, to I-76W, to I-79N, to I-90E, to I-190N, to Peace Bridge, to QEW to Queens Quay W.

Yahoo Maps claims 8 hours and 24 minutes and 494.7 miles total. Highlights are 175E, to 29N, to I-70W, to I-99N, to US-220N, to US-322W, to PA-970, to I-80, to US-219, to I-86W, to I-90E, to I-190N, to Peace Bridge, to QEW, to Garden City Skyway, to QEW, to James Allen Bridge, to QEW, to Gardiner Expressway, to Spadina and Lake Shore Blvd, to Brenner Blvd, to Queens Quay.

Google Maps claims 9 hours and 2 minutes and 551 miles total. Highlights are 29N to I-70W, to I-76W, to I-79N, to I-90N, I-190N, to Peace Bridge, to QEW, to Gardiner Expressway, to Jameson Ave, to Lake Shore Blvd. W, to Queens Quay.

AVIC-Z1 claims 14 hours and 12 minutes and 598 miles total.

How does the AVIC Z1 calculate its time? It has me taking 29N to 695 to 83N and so on, everyone else wants to take me around the Western border of Pennsylvania (close to Pittsburgh) and then loop around the Northern part of Pennsylvania, to head into New York, through Buffalo, across the Peace Bridge, and into Ontario, Canada. If things are this off to get from Maryland to Toronto, I have little confidence in what it will tell me to do once I need to drive from Toronto to Ottawa, and then all the way back down to Maryland.

Welcome to the world of the worst routing in a navigation system on the market. Hey pioneer heres another one of your " We haven't had any complaints about that" Please call pioneer tech support and inform them of your problem and let me know what there response was.

lol i know for a fact Pioneer tech read this site i was told by a buddy that works for Pioneer :D

so no need to call them lol they know but there is fuck all they can do about it just make a log of it and hope some nerd @ Pioneer will fix that

Have you tried using the multiple route button. It will let you see six different routes(some of them useless). They may sometimes show you a better way Also as stated earlier adjusting the average road speed should give you a more accurate measure of trip time.

Road speed? I see one area where I can change that, but it gives me 30, 40 and 50. So, you are saying that I can change that to what I would really drive (65 or 70MPH)? Okay. That might get me down from 14 hours. However, the miles are still higher with the AVIC-Z1 than any distance quoted from Mapquest, GoogleMaps and Yahoo.

I need a good address for my waypoints though. I don't want to just, for example, pick any old McDonalds out in the middle of nowhere and assume it is going to get me to my final destination quicker. :-) If I force it to take me to Bedford, Pennsylvania, I think it has to at that point adopt the route being shown from Mapquest, Googlemaps and Yahoo and route me around the rest of Western Pennsylvania and then along New York's border with Pennsylvania and Lake Erie. I mean the route I want to take is the one that takes me around the Western part of Pennsylvania and then into New York, through Buffalo, past Nigara, and across the Peace Bridge and into Ontario Province. From there, it should be a relatively straight shot into downtown Toronto's harborfront and the Raddison Admiral hotel which is right in front of the Skydome (Rogers Centre) and CN Tower, and a few blocks away from the Air Canada Centre. After a few days there I want to then drive up 4 hours to Ottawa to the Les Suites hotel and enjoy the Canadian capital for 5 days or so before returning to Columbia, Maryland.