AVIC411.com

Avic-Z2 versus new Panasonic Strada CN-NVD905U

You do realize that the Panasonic doesn't store music to the HD right? The hard drive is only for the nav

Panasonic bypass: Ground green parking brake wire, enjoy. No headache.

Down fall to unit is that storing music to the hard drive slows nav features down.

Pro's--Cheaper than the Z2, couple cool background pictures, NavTeq

Con's--Looks cheap in person, Sticks out of your dash WAY more than a Z2, Can't store music to the HD, Requires a $150 "hub" to add any accessories besides the ipod, Menu and mapping are eerily similar to Eclipse--Not good in my opinion

Seem like fairly equivalent units . . . anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks . . . funny how we (me, actually) make product capability assumptions based on competing products. I had TOTALLY missed the fact that this unit (based on your post) does not store ripped music to the HD. What in the world is this unit DOING with 30 GB of space for Nav only?

• 7 months later...
Thanks . . . funny how we (me, actually) make product capability assumptions based on competing products. I had TOTALLY missed the fact that this unit (based on your post) does not store ripped music to the HD. What in the world is this unit DOING with 30 GB of space for Nav only?

well that isnt much of a worry to me as its hardware downsides, the strada is Panasonics first HU so you have to think of it on par with Pioneers first HU's things like music ripping can always be added later with firmware updates so thats not much to worry about and the ipod takes care of mosts music needs since ppl usually have mp3's which the z2 cant rip to the hdd either. the only downside i see to the strada is the hub at that price it basially means if you want to buy 2 addons for it, it will run u about as much as buying 3 addons for the z2 and as far as i know navtraffic still isnt available on the strada. also the z2 seems to be the only unit that has text-to-speech for fps where as the strada and kenwood dont.

CNET has a good review for the panasonic strada.

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigat ... 50650.html

They gave it normal scores cause it didn't really offer anything ground breaking.

While the Avic Z1/Z2 got the CNET editors choice award at the CES 2006 when it first came out. Pretty impressive.

But still it needs a lot of work to be considered the best. :roll:[/url]

Man, if it has NAVTEQ than it's the one for me.

My Z2s maps are not even close to some details shown in a Garmin Nuvi and the Routing in the Nuvi is 10 times better.

NAVTEQ is guaranteed to make it a better Navigation system and I can live with whatever other shortcomings the Pana has.