AVIC411.com

Add-on navigation: AVIC-80DVD, AVIC-88DVD, etc.

I know the AVIC-88DVD claims to support touchscreen operation with a support head unit.

1. Is this also true of the AVIC-80DVD?
2. What is the difference between the 80 and 88?

I am curious what they are like connected to an AVH-P6800DVD. Will the touchscreen control the navigation? Is it as seamless as an HU with built-in navigation?

Are there any other add-on navigation units, perhaps even older CD navigation units? For me, CD navigation would actually be fine for mostly in-town driving.
The only difference between the two is the software that they came with. They updated the mapping on the units each year just like they do with current models (D1 vs. D2) They will both operate through touchscreen with a 6800DVD and will work seamlessly. The only catch is that they currently don't sell the 2006 software in a version that works with stand-alone units so you are stuck with 2005 mapping until they do (if they do.) Doesn's seem like a big deal in your case

[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]I know the AVIC-88DVD claims to support touchscreen operation with a support head unit.

1. Is this also true of the AVIC-80DVD?
2. What is the difference between the 80 and 88?

I am curious what they are like connected to an AVH-P6800DVD. Will the touchscreen control the navigation? Is it as seamless as an HU with built-in navigation?

Are there any other add-on navigation units, perhaps even older CD navigation units? For me, CD navigation would actually be fine for mostly in-town driving.[/quote]
  • 1 month later...
I don't know where to get a good deal on a new one, but occasionally you can get a deal on eBay. I saw an AVIC-80DVD there for $250 Buy It Now. Once I saw one go less than $200 so I watched every AVIC I could find on there. Finally last week I won one (AVIC-9DVD) for $152.50 shipped with no discs. I should get it this coming week, I hope it works!

If you need a warranty you'll have to get a new one, but I don't even see new ones very often. I just checked Froogle and the cheapest one listed (AVIC-88DVD) is $870.99. Ouch!
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...