AVIC411.com

And NOTE: If you hook up the illumination wire, the screen will dim and the background will change to a dark grey every time your car lights are on.

If you often turn on your headlights during the day (construction zones, highway driving etc), you might want to consider putting in a switch to the D3's illumination wire instead of hooking it up to something that is directly connected to the headlight system.

And NOTE: If you hook up the illumination wire, the screen will dim and the background will change to a dark grey every time your car lights are on.

So whenever the screen is dimmed the background changes to dark gray, even if you have a custom background? Or do you mean the nav screen changes to night mode?

If you often turn on your headlights during the day (construction zones, highway driving etc), you might want to consider putting in a switch to the D3's illumination wire instead of hooking it up to something that is directly connected to the headlight system.

sooo if I want to hook it up to a switch, I just take the illumination wire and look that to the positive to the switch? and then ground it? please explain

So whenever the screen is dimmed the background changes to dark gray, even if you have a custom background? Or do you mean the nav screen changes to night mode?

I'm referring to the navigation background going to gray.

Other backgrounds just dim.

sooo if I want to hook it up to a switch, I just take the illumination wire and look that to the positive to the switch? and then ground it? please explain

The illumination wire is normally connected to a wire in the car that becomes +12v when the headlights are turned on.

If you want to do this manually with a switch, then connect a +12v source wire to one side of a switch. Then connect the other side of the switch to the D3's illumination wire. When the switch is closed, the D3 will dim. When the switch is open, the D3 will be in full daytime mode.

Right now, mine is connected to a wire in my car that goes +12v when the parking lights come on. I may just put in a switch between that wire and the D3 so that most of the time, the dimming will be automatic, but if I want to override it, I can open the switch.

The illumination wire is normally connected to a wire in the car that becomes +12v when the headlights are turned on.

If you want to do this manually with a switch, then connect a +12v source wire to one side of a switch. Then connect the other side of the switch to the D3's illumination wire. When the switch is closed, the D3 will dim. When the switch is open, the D3 will be in full daytime mode.

Right now, mine is connected to a wire in my car that goes +12v when the parking lights come on. I may just put in a switch between that wire and the D3 so that most of the time, the dimming will be automatic, but if I want to override it, I can open the switch.

alright thanks alot man... do you like how it looks when its dim or does it look stupid

alright thanks alot man... do you like how it looks when its dim or does it look stupid

I think it looks pretty good dimmed. I preferred the look of our former Infiniti FX35 factory nav though. The map backgrounds went to a more solid black than the dark grey that the D3 does.

The only thing I don't like about the D3 is that you can't manually override the effect of the illumincation wire without adding an external switch. Pioneer even included an on-screen button that allows you to switch between nighttime and daytime but it only affects the screen brightness. It does not affect the nav colors.

Pioneer even included an on-screen button that allows you to switch between nighttime and daytime

I was messing around with that, but didn't notice any difference. Does it only work with the illumination hooked up?

I don't recall for sure but I THINK it works without the illumincation wire hooked up - as long as you set a daytime brightness and a nighttime brightness in the settings.

• 3 weeks later...
Pioneer even included an on-screen button that allows you to switch between nighttime and daytime

I was messing around with that, but didn't notice any difference. Does it only work with the illumination hooked up?

I don't recall for sure but I THINK it works without the illumincation wire hooked up - as long as you set a daytime brightness and a nighttime brightness in the settings.

No, it does not work when the illumination wires not hooked up.