AVIC411.com

Bypassing the AVIC-N3

Hello, all. I saw the post below my signature on another forum (a Yahoo! Group) about how to bypass the N3 and I just thought I'd pass it on to anyone who was thinking about doing the bypass but was not sure how on the AVIC-N3.

Also, I have a question. Can I achieve the parking brake ground by simply pulling up the brake "not enough" to actually engage the brake but enough to turn on the light in my gauge cluster? Supposedly there's a switch that the E-Brake lever presses in when the E-Brake is pulled, and I can turn on the "BRAKE" light (engage the switch) w/o actually braking. I'm wondering b/c I won't dare install my own equipment (afraid to mess up or do messy install) and my installer will not do the bypass for me. Wouldn't it be obvious I was bypassing if I told him to ground the brake wire?

Thanks, and sorry for long post,
MIKE

--- In pioneermobile2@yahoogroups.com, "whtcrxghst"
wrote:
>
> The N3 really is just a switch. Pull the sticker, slide the switch,
> ground the light green parking brake wire and you are good to go.
> Obviously, you will void your warranty, just like people did when
> they soldered their N2.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikey38654-guest
I don't know... I'll [i]definitely[/i] be trying it, though. Otherwise, I figure I'll live with the limitations, at least until warranty runs out anyway, then it won't matter. I'll flip the switch on the unit, install a switch to ground the parking brake wire when needed, and flip when needed. If it works, I'll try both turning lights on/off and simply toggling the momentary brights switch three times (less suspicious to neighbors, lol).
i made my n3 think that my brake was always on but that still did not work. If you are going to do it that way you will have to create a switch that turns the GPS antenna and the speed sensor wire off. then you have to reset your unit ever time you turn it on or off. This is what i have gathered by making it think my brake was on. your best bet is to flip the switch for the bypass. I did and it works grate.
binderim is right. i have the handbrake bypass installed, but once the car is moving above about 4 mph, the nav and dvd functions quit. since the nav system is internal, it knows when the car is moving so it locks out these functions even though it thinks the brake is applied. i dont know about bypassing this. i thought about putting a switch in to toggle the gps antenna on/off, but i imagine you would have to do that for the speed pulse wire as well. im still glad i have an N3 tho. i love it
It's under a sticker that says something about the warranty will be voided if you remove this sticker - I think the sticker's yellow (haven't seen it yet, haven't opened my N3). It probably at least says "VOID WARRANTY" or something to that effect.

It should be on the Bottom of the AVIC-N3. The N2 and N1 didn't have the switch, but two leads you soldered together (carefully, lol).
Mikey38654 I will call my installer and see if there is anything else that he did other than Flip the switch.. The unit plays DVD's while driving forward and there has been no adverse effects to the N3..ALL Navigations systems are operable when driving forward also..No need to stop and apply the parking brake.
[quote name="LILJOHN"]Mikey38654 I will call my installer and see if there is anything else that he did other than Flip the switch.. The unit plays DVD's while driving forward and there has been no adverse effects to the N3..ALL Navigations systems are operable when driving forward also..No need to stop and apply the parking brake.[/quote]

John, were you able to find anything out?

Thanks man!
Rich