AVIC411.com

Z2 Bypass "Issue" ?

Yea but doesnt the brake wire have to have a resistor and led in it to since it senses that? I know i read about that because I have a switch on my brake wire and itll work for a few mins but eventually i get the brake warning (straight ground) Gonna get in there this weekend and do this for sure.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but doesnt the brake wire have to have a resistor and led in it to since it senses that? I know i read about that because I have a switch on my brake wire and itll work for a few mins but eventually i get the brake warning (straight ground) Gonna get in there this weekend and do this for sure.

Huh? I think you might be confused.

No resistor or LED needed.

The parking brake sense wire and the second wire in connector 2 just have to be grounded (straight ground). If you are getting the break warning, you don't have the wire in connector 2 grounded.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I didn't get a chance to take my car over to the installer until today... I'm not exactly sure what the problem was (don't know the details) but there was indeed something that was not wired exactly right. The picture posted here was extremely helpful, and he got it resolved.

I've now driven about 40 miles and so far so good... bypass seems to be working great.

I'm having the same exact problem as the OP.. And I have taken it back to the isntaller already and he said he grounded a second wire just like the picture shows.... SIGH guess I have to take it back again

ALSO. Ducati, what do you mean a "Avic that can't be bypassed" I thought they all could be bypassed now?

I'm having the same exact problem as the OP.. And I have taken it back to the isntaller already and he said he grounded a second wire just like the picture shows.... SIGH guess I have to take it back again

Is OP short for Other People? My guess is the installer is focusing on the end of the wire which is connected to a ground wire and not at the end that's shoved into connector 2. 99 times out of 100 even with installers who have DOZENS of years experience when they have problems, it's problems inserting the wire and terminal end into connector 2.

I don't know why, but it seems that's by FAR the biggest problem with people and it causes the unit to be unlocked while stationary and even sometimes works for 50 - 100 miles, then will start locking you out while moving. If that's what's happening, that second wire in connector 2 is not grounded.

The problem is that it's not the "wire" that needs to be grounded and that wire just "hangs out in thin air". The end in connector 2, HAS TO MAKE CONTACT with the pin inside the Z1/Z2. If it doesn't you can ground the other end till the cows come home (mooooo) but it won't do anything. You (or your installer) has to get both ends right and most can ground a wire. Fewer have the experience taking apart and reinserting a wire/terminal end into another location inside a connector. Why? I don't know. But answer this question a few hundred times (I might be approaching 1000 times for this same question) from installers who SWEAR they did it right, finally get it and thank me. Why is connector 2 such a problem? I don't know.

ALSO. Ducati, what do you mean a "Avic that can't be bypassed" I thought they all could be bypassed now?

Technically that was "you have an Avic Z unit which is not bypassable with the 2 wire ground" Older Z1's without a software update are not bypassable with the 2 wire ground. They all can be bypassed, but without the software update, they are bypassed a different way, flashing the headlights.

OP= Original Poster

Yeah first time I went there when I got it installed, I printed out the 2 pin method even the part that says there are problems with wire #2 and to double check it etc....

So install was done and parking break error popped up so I brought it back. And then he says he grounded the wire like in the picture, as if he didnt ground it to begin with.

So I don't know if hes even reading the damn thing... But from what I have read and from what you say its the only thing that can be going wrong with the unit...

I think I'm just going to tell him to show me how to take the dash apart so I can mess with it myself heh

The GPS being inaccurate isnt that big of an issue for me, because it fixes itself after about 2-3 mins after driving, but when I brought it the 2nd time he also said that he will hook up the VSS for me. But I'm still not getting a speed pulse. wtf?

Ugh, yeah I wish I went somewhere else.. Cost me $300 to install the Z2 with rear view cam, bluetooth, Ipod adapter and XM

Pilot, what kind of car is this again (not sure if you already stated this)? If its possible, try and get the service manual for your vehicle. The one the dealerships use, in that manual it will have removal and install instructions for all your interior trim peices and dash and all that.

I had to do this with my 07 camry. I couldnt take it back to my original installer because he said they cant do any bypasses at all due to liability issues. So, thanks to www.toyotanation.com I was able to get ahold of every section of my service manual in .pdf format. Printed out the applicable pages and proceeded to take apart my dash myself. Turned out that it was EXTREMELY easy. Sure glad i got free install on my z2 or i'd be kickin myself in the dingaling for paying someone to take apart my "lego-like" interior.

If you need help finding your service manual give a shout. :D (also, if you dont mind, where abouts are you located?)

Honda Pilot 2007.. And I live in Jupiter, FL..

I'll check out the manual today and when I take it to the installer Ill see if he can show me how to take it apart.. Unfortunately you can see some pry marks where he has taken it apart not sure how good that is heh

OUCH! There are pry marks on your 07 pilot from your installer?! I'd be mad as hell, those puppies are not cheap thats for sure. I was looking into one of those for the wife earlier this year, price tag for a loaded on is a bit steep.

Anyway, im gonna do a little diggin for ya, im an ex-honda guy and I used to have access to TONS of service manuals for various hondas. Hopefully those links still work, lol.

Honda Pilot 2007.. And I live in Jupiter, FL..

I'll check out the manual today and when I take it to the installer Ill see if he can show me how to take it apart.. Unfortunately you can see some pry marks where he has taken it apart not sure how good that is heh

OUCH! There are pry marks on your 07 pilot from your installer?! I'd be mad as hell, those puppies are not cheap thats for sure. I was looking into one of those for the wife earlier this year, price tag for a loaded on is a bit steep.

Anyway, im gonna do a little diggin for ya, im an ex-honda guy and I used to have access to TONS of service manuals for various hondas. Hopefully those links still work, lol.

Yeah I am pretty damn pissed.. But I don't want to bitch about it just yet, I'm gonna tell him to be more careful but I'll complain when its done, cause I don't want pry marks out of spite heh..

And to the previous 2 posters thanks for the PDF. I'm taking a look at it, just a bit worried I might break something myself as I haven't done this before. But it does look a bit simple. Only problem is I'm not sure where the installer put the XM unit. I'll be trying to take apart the dash today after he takes another look at it if its not fixed just because he knows where he put the XM unit.

To take the pilot radio out

http://handaaccessories.com/pilot/06audio.pdf

WOW! Looking at that, yours is even easier to take apart than mine. It should be fairly easy too considering how new the vehicle is. I remember with my 93 civic, it was a crap shoot if plastic snaped or not, but I think that had more to do with aged plastic, the elements, and so on and so forth.

I bet you'll do fine. :D