AVIC411.com

IPOD touch & D3

No, I have 4 days off a week, I study then. I go to school Tues-Thurs and I have 3-5 hours in between classes. I was so looking forward to watching the new season of the Office in my car amongst other shows/movies. I'm so pissed right now, my iPod video 5G 30gb hard drive died a few weeks ago. So I wait on buying a replacement due to new ones coming out, and this is what I get.

On a positive note, browsing music on the D3 is now extremely fast. Instant really. I'm going to have to try and find someway to crack the firmware to allow video playback. I was thinking of trying the new iPod composite cables from apple and running them into the AV input on the D3. But these cables run into the dock connector so no place for the D3 dock connector. Apple just pissed me off so much. Freakin hand them $250 and they slap me in the face because they need to please all the copy protection-whore movie studios by implementing more useless DRM related crap. Seriously Apple, wtf. I wish there was some other device that had a decent level of control/integration from the D3. There's no real chance of Pioneer fixing this as only Apple has access to the chips to make the external output work.

/rant

so i take it you already tried and failed, as far as video output's concerned? browsing is really fast now, right...i might just buy the classic anyway just because of it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Authentication chips are only available to Apple and are brand new, so there is zero chance that the D3 has it or will ever have it. Our only hope is that someone creates a hacked firmware for the D3 that makes it emulate an apple device or creates a hacked firmware for the iPod that enables video out. Apple can go shove it with their $50 composite cables. I still see no reason for these chips. All they did was piss off anyone that has bought their old AV cables for iPod or any other device that outputs video from an iPod.

The Authentication chips are only available to Apple and are brand new, so there is zero chance that the D3 has it or will ever have it. Our only hope is that someone creates a hacked firmware for the D3 that makes it emulate an apple device or creates a hacked firmware for the iPod that enables video out. Apple can go shove it with their $50 composite cables. I still see no reason for these chips. All they did was piss off anyone that has bought their old AV cables for iPod or any other device that outputs video from an iPod.

oh i see...i thought the chips were around for some time, but yeah i see now not a lot of products have the said chips.

i believe someone will crack the ipod for universal playback; no one with the right mind would sit still and watch steve jobs try to get everyone into their stupid inner trust circle and milk every goddamn dime out of the consumers.

I actually would anticipate a Pioneer updated cable, I don't think it has to be built into the iPod. Sucks because I wanted to buy an 80GB last week and everyone in my area was out with the new ones expected. Dropped my vehicle off for install this morning, so I guess I will have to find a used 80GB older model, I would think they will be easy to find for a while.

This may cinch getting a Touch in the future though. With the built-in WiFi and more robust OS, someone will come up with an easy crack.

I actually would anticipate a Pioneer updated cable, I don't think it has to be built into the iPod. Sucks because I wanted to buy an 80GB last week and everyone in my area was out with the new ones expected. Dropped my vehicle off for install this morning, so I guess I will have to find a used 80GB older model, I would think they will be easy to find for a while.

This may cinch getting a Touch in the future though. With the built-in WiFi and more robust OS, someone will come up with an easy crack.

you mean built into the D3 right lol

but you could be right...could just be the cable.

I might just buy a PSP slim for movies, etc. I can get a new PSP slim with an 8GB Memstick for about $300. That provides web browser, youtube, MP4 video playback, and video output... Oh and I hear it plays those game things too, lol. The iPhone browser is 10x better than anything on the PSP tho.

So basically, as of now, if you are only using the ipod for audio, you should go with one of the new models because the file access through the D3 is much faster.

But if you're going to use it for video as well, you should either find one of the old models somewhere or wait to see if someone develops some workaround that lets the new models put the video signal out.

Right?

That would be correct. Also, beware that the scroll wheel on the classic is not as sensitive as previous models and does not always pickup on finger movements. Possibly could be fixed through firmware update, but if it's hardware, we're screwed. It's not just mine either. There's a thread of pissed off people on the Apple forums with the same issue. I also noticed lagging on the models in the store. It's not horrible, but if you have used previous models, it can be a bit frustrating. Apple seems like they're dropping the ball with the classic. One step forward, two steps back. The Coverflow for the album art is nice though.

so you did test it? and it does not work? i just wanna make sure - you didnt elaborate on that point...

I'm taking the ipod back tomorrow. I almost threw it out my window on a road trip today. The track titles/info do NOT update when the song changes. The new iPods are CRAP. I'm hoping to get an old 5.5G 80GB video. Other than that... F*CK APPLE. They changed the software on the iPods for NO REASON and all it did was create problems.

EDIT: My friend just picked up a new Nano today when I went to the Apple store to exchange my classic for a regular 5G iPod Video 30GB. The nano will also NOT play video through it. ALSO, with both, the song titles will not update on the screen once one song has played. The next song will play, but the previous song will still be shown on the screen unless you hit the button for next or previous track. It's like the iPod is not updating the D3 with track info the way the old ones do. Wait off to buy a new ipod or buy an old one like I did.

Just thinking outloud here...

Apple sells a A/V Composite cable that would work with the A/V inputs on the AVIC. couldn't someone just hack the pioneer cable and make a new apple pioneer hybrid cable to make it work? I assume since the apple cable includes the "Authorization" chip in it, maybe someone can wire it up to work? Then again, it's probably using the data connection to talk to the "Auth" chip and it couldn't talk to the AVIC and the "Auth" chip at the same time...hum...

Well regardless, you can still playback the video, just have to swap the connectors. (yeah, I know it sucks, but at least it's not totally a loss if you already bought one)