AVIC411.com

IPOD touch & D3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, keep hold of your 5th Gen iPods and wait for the 1.8" 160GB drives to hit the retail market, and manually update (i.e. crack it open and replace) the HD. There are plenty of sites out there that detail the procedures...

I'm thinking that's what I'm going to end up doing...

My $0.02,

Eric "GuitarEC"

So i am no genius here, but apple isn't totally interested in screwing us. us consumers do keep them in business after all. My thought on this is that its actually for the better. Did anyone notice that these new ipods output 480p through component cables now, and navigate faster. They obviously made hardware changes. What they are doing is forcing 3rd party accessory makers (i.e. Pioneer) to update there accessories and products to make our experience better. While it makes our lives harder for a few months as the companies catch up it will make the experience better for years to come. Im kinda of bummed to but i am excited to hook up component cables to my hdtv.

Is that confirmed to be true about the new ipods not updating the track info sent to the D3 when the song moves to the next one?

The non video playing part was fine for me, because I wasn't going to play them anyway...

But this I know for a fact would end up pissing me off to no end.

So are we certain that this is an actual problem or maybe just a couple of glitchy units?

The titles DO NOT update like they should. Same thing happened with my friend's new nano in my car. I was finally becoming OK with the lack of video until a road trip I took yesterday. I nearly shot my fist through the screen in anger when I saw that the track titles were not changing. I just can't stand it when I spend my hard earned money on expensive things only to have them not work. As for component output, I'm all for HD, etc, but there is still no reason to straight out disable the video output the way it used to be just to please the damn copyright holders. It's like this: The people that actually pay for the low res versions of movies/shows off of the iTunes store are not going to be ones trying to pirate them, so I don't know why apple would be worried of people getting perfect digital rips of DRM'd movies from their store. People who know how to rip/download a DVD rip of a movie via Bittorrent will know how to convert it to iPod format and watch it that way anyway. All this whole new update does is force users (both paying and pirating) to go spend $50 on new AV cables and throw away any of their "old" accessories that output video through the dock or minijack that no longer work. I would not count on any new update from Pioneer ever, or for at least some months. They haven't even fixed the "Menu" button not working for the iPod interface. If anything, they will have it fixed on next year's D3 equivalent.

I got a new 5G iPod video 30GB last night, and it works PERFECTLY. Videos play, song titles update as they should, and all is merry. I will have to look into upgrading the 1.8" HDD one of these days. Til' then, just stay away from the new iPods if you want to use them with the D3. Get an old one or wait for an update. I doubt they will fix the track titles not updating as that only occurs with the D3 itself and not on the iPod's screen when listening. Save your money or be prepared to pay a 10% restocking fee to return the new iPod.

I guess that turned out for the best. Found a guy selling a bunch of the old 30 gig ipods new in the box on ebay for $200 each, free shipping. If I ever get more than 30 gigs of music, I'll worry about that but for now I've got 19 gigs of music and it's so much I never listen to half of it, so that's where it's at.

I called like 15 or 20 stores around here as well as lookes just about everywhere on the internet for them. None to be found except ebay, and of course on Amazon, but they wates like $400 for just the old 30 gig one. Screw them.

I picked up an 80 gb ipod classic yesterday and worked fine on my D3 fwiw. They just released a firmware update so that might have fixed it. I installed the update as soon as i got it so I dont know if that would have fixed it.

Are you referring to the track info updating, or the video playback, or both?

I picked up an 80 gb ipod classic yesterday and worked fine on my D3 fwiw. They just released a firmware update so that might have fixed it. I installed the update as soon as i got it so I dont know if that would have fixed it.

Are you referring to the track info updating, or the video playback, or both?

The track info updating. Afaik, the video playback is a hardware issue but i dont plan on using it anyways.