AVIC411.com

Mirroring HDMI to rear screens

When I used hdmi as input using the Apple Digital A/V adapter, I found Youtube videos played correctly without turning my phone horizontally, so I wanted to mirror Netflix and Youtube to my rear screens for the girls​, and found out hdmi cannot be mirrored to rear screens. So i thought about a workaround, and decided the only route would be getting a hdmi to composite converter, and connecting to A/V input on head unit.  

While we're on the subject of rear A/V out mirroring, does anyone know if the RGB input can be mirrored.  The reason I ask is I bought a Pioneer CD-IU201S cable (iPhone 30-pin to USB/RGB) for my iPod Classic... to keep other A/V inputs freed up for other devices.  If I ever wanted to connect an iPhone, was wondering if I could rear display mirror.  I also realize newer iPhones use a lightning port rather than 30-pin... but I see Apple has a lightning to 30-pin adapter...

EDIT: I see that Apple adapter does not support video output.

This is the reason for the post. Since the unit will not mirror RGB or HDMI, you have to convert to composite and connect to A/V input. You can only mirror DVD, USB, A/V, and SD inputs. Which leaves only A/V open to mirror. I have looked for lightning to composite cable, but no luck. Had to convert from digital to analog.

I have the 4000Nex and Ran into this problem aswell. I can mirror videos from flash drives on usb 1 and 2 however Iphone would not mirror to rear screens. I bought an HDMI to av converter and even bough a 3 in one out HDMI smart switch for 6 dollars and have the Iphone, a laptop, and chromecast connected and switch between them. I use an Android MHL adapter in the Main HDMI unit for a Galaxy Phone and use USB 1 for carplay or AV1 with the digital Iphone adaptor connected to the converter when I want Iphone mirrored on rear screens. 

New user here.  I've been researching and have been trying to decide between AppRadio4 and 4000NEX, leaning to the 4000NEX.  This topic answers a question I've had and never got answered from any of the reviews I've read.

It looks like the best way is the A/V solution.  My main goal would be to mirror my phone on the HU and be able to control it.  I have not been able to figure out whether ARU, MirrorLink (not really an option on my Samsung) or simply Bluetooth connectivity is required for touchscreen control.

A secondary desire, to bring it back to the topic, is to be able to mirror the phone screen to the back so that navigation and entertainment like PLEX can be seen there.  Looks like maybe an HDMI splitter with A/V converter connecting the phone to both HDMI and A/V.  Is there any visual difference between A/V and HDMI on the HU?

...  I have not been able to figure out whether ARU, MirrorLink (not really an option on my Samsung) or simply Bluetooth connectivity is required for touchscreen control....

Neither have I for certain... but I have to assume ARU and ML are not required because the unit will supposedly mirror supported apps.  I am far from savvy regarding smart phone mirroring.

...  Is there any visual difference between A/V and HDMI on the HU?

I imagine there is some regarding the signal, since HDMI is digital while A/V is composite analog.  The quality of the adapter will affect D/A conversion. The HU does an A/D conversion, but its quality is set upon purchase and installation.  While the ultimate question is really whether there is a noticeable difference to you, in use it'll be a question of tolerable difference... because at that point, you have little option for improving it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 4000Nex and Ran into this problem aswell. I can mirror videos from flash drives on usb 1 and 2 however Iphone would not mirror to rear screens. I bought an HDMI to av converter and even bough a 3 in one out HDMI smart switch for 6 dollars and have the Iphone, a laptop, and chromecast connected and switch between them. I use an Android MHL adapter in the Main HDMI unit for a Galaxy Phone and use USB 1 for carplay or AV1 with the digital Iphone adaptor connected to the converter when I want Iphone mirrored on rear screens. 

Can you explain again how you connected the iPhone to mirror video to your rear monitors.  I have the Apple HDMI adapter and will buy the HDMI to A/V converter.  How are these connections made?  Thanks.

• 4 months later...