AVIC411.com

I just want a radio with a high quality display, carplay, and great amp support

I literally need nothing else. I went to a store today that had all the different Pioneer NEX units, the Alpine ILX-007 and the Appradio 4. 

The 8000 has the best display by far, but costs way too much and does too many things that I don't care about to justify that ludicrous price. 

The Alpine has gimped carplay like my 4000 even though it has a capacitive display. 

The display on the appradio 4 is absolutely horrendous. 

I just can't win. Here's hoping someone gets it right eventually. 

Nope. On the 4000-7000 you get arrows on the sides of any menus with scrolling and scroll by section. On the Appradio 4 and 8000 NEX you have smooth inertial scrolling like on the iPhone.

You also can pan through the map on the Appradio 4 and 8000. No up down left right arrows.

I'm not sure I'd want a capacitive screen on a head unit. Too reflective, and too sensitive.

But maybe I'm in denial, I dunno.  :wink:  

I guess it would really depend on the vehicle. I get what you're saying about reflections and I might hesitate on a capacitive display in a vehicle where the HU is mounted high on the dash.

Having said that, after using the 8000NEX in my Z after a very long line of HU's with resistive screens there is simply no way I could go back. I've found that the capacitive screen provides superior performance in just about every way.

I'm not too concerned about the sensitivity, I guess I never had a problem controlling my iPhone when it was on a Pro-Clip mount (before CarPlay).

Mostly a reflection concern, but I guess I should have read the 8000 features, didn't know you could change the screen angle on the 7000/8000...maybe its time for me to upgrade! :)

I had the capacitive screen with my Appradio 3, and gave it up to get the 4000NEX so I could have CarPlay (and the better EQ/tuning capabilities).

I have to say, I do miss the smoothness of the capacitive screen. It scrolled so nicely, while I feel like the screen in the 4000 is a bit more difficult to manage.

Would you care to elaborate on the "horrendous" display of the AR4. I just don't see it. It has the same resolution as the 8000 in a smaller screen so it should actually look sharper. I'm genuinely curious about why you think that.

Display quality is what I'm talking about. The blacks on the Appradio 4 are grey. They display backlight is so poorly done that there is light bleed from the bottom and top of the unit, the viewing angles are horrendous, and both units ive seen so far have had a faint flicker when staring at them. 

In comparison the colors on the 8000 are far more accurate, there isn't light bleed, and the viewing angles are far superior. 

Are they both 800x480 displays? Yes. Are they the same breed of displays? Not even close. 

Display quality is what I'm talking about. The blacks on the Appradio 4 are grey. They display backlight is so poorly done that there is light bleed from the bottom and top of the unit, the viewing angles are horrendous, and both units ive seen so far have had a faint flicker when staring at them. 

In comparison the colors on the 8000 are far more accurate, there isn't light bleed, and the viewing angles are far superior. 

Are they both 800x480 displays? Yes. Are they the same breed of displays? Not even close.

Got it. I notice that the backlighting is less than perfect. If you turn it down to more acceptable black levels It helps to alleviate the bleed. The AR4 in my car looks good as far as my particular viewing angle. Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

I had a chance to look at AppRadio 4 and AVIC-8000NEX side by side, and I've got to agree, the later wins hands down.

To be honest, never thought to compare, never thought the monitors could vary so widely, this is a great educational thread!

I'm not too concerned about the sensitivity, I guess I never had a problem controlling my iPhone when it was on a Pro-Clip mount (before CarPlay).

Mostly a reflection concern, but I guess I should have read the 8000 features, didn't know you could change the screen angle on the 7000/8000...maybe its time for me to upgrade! :)

Another thread on this forum mentioned cutting an anti-reflective iPad screen film to fit the 8000 display.

I did this, and it still looks and works great 7 months later!