AVIC411.com

Pioneer 2015 second generation NEX

If Android Auto is anything like Apple Carplay, then the software and UI will run from the phone and not the head unit. All Pioneer would need to do is add the software hooks to existing units, which is trivial especially if the NEX HUs are running Android themselves.

Now as to a TRUE working MirrorLink, AVICSYNC, IDatalink functionality, and the documented data-connectivity for the 2014 NEX HUs, these should have been fixed months ago and there's no excuses, especially since these units are running an easily maintained OS now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it funny that before the new models were released, iDataLink had the AVIC-8100NEX, but not the 5/6/7/8000 available models listed when I punched in my 2014 Honda CR-V Base:

missing-avic-models.png

After I reported it, they fixed the list, and did not remove the AVIC-8100NEX from the list:

missing-avic-models-FIXED.png

I guess its moot now. The PAC RP4-HD11 just arrived. Now I just need to find someone who can install it...and get it right the first time! :D

Any suggestions for an ace installer in the Delaware area? Willing to drive if it is to a person who studies the combo (car, head unit and connector).

Don

I found it funny that before the new models were released, iDataLink had the AVIC-8100NEX, but not the 5/6/7/8000 available models listed when I punched in my 2014 Honda CR-V Base:

missing-avic-models.png

After I reported it, they fixed the list, and did not remove the AVIC-8100NEX from the list:

missing-avic-models-FIXED.png

I guess its moot now. The PAC RP4-HD11 just arrived. Now I just need to find someone who can install it...and get it right the first time! :D

Any suggestions for an ace installer in the Delaware area? Willing to drive if it is to a person who studies the combo (car, head unit and connector).

Don

Except the only thing the Idatalink module is providing is steering wheel control adapter. There's still no car diagnostics or OEM telematics connection like you can get with Kenwood or Alpine systems. So in other words, nothing has changed.

Bushing has a great overview of the guts of the 5000NEX - https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.html . Hopefully his work and maybe some others will lead to firmware mods for the 2014 NEX owners.

In the case of the 5000NEX, it's running a dual core 1Ghz Cortex, which is most likely the same thing the entire NEX line is running, possibly give or take a couple hundred Mhz depending on the particular unit's price. Cheap, no-name android devices like $99 tablets and $50 android media sticks and boxes have better specs than these. There's no technical limitation preventing the 2014 NEX units from running the exact same features the new units run. This is purely planned obsolescence, which is no longer an excuse in any way given the prices people are paying and the technology involved.

While I'm not thrilled by these developments overall, there are ways around these issues. Speaking of no-name android devices, I'm currently running my 8000NEX with an android media stick which works perfectly from the touch screen and let's me effectively have a complete android car-puter for the 50 bucks I paid for the stick and without having to deal with all the annoying issues connecting my cell phone and getting the appradio app to work. In fact, I just came across a video of someone that used his Chromecast as a wireless screen mirror for his phone, and the 8000's touch screen works with this perfectly. So in the end, even if we as 2014 NEX owners don't get these new features in future firmware upgrades, there are definitely good work arounds for us.

Planned obsolescence is the way of the world these days.  I've caught various manufacturers doing specifically crappy things in this regard such as soldering in CMOS batteries onto a PCB in such a way that you can't get them out for replacement without risking destroying the PCB -- even with a proper SMT hot-air rework station (the high thermal mass of the battery makes this an extremely tricky operation.) Then there are all the newer cellphones with non field-replaceable PRIMARY batteries -- a lithium cell that has a known cycle life of approximately 500, which pretty-much guarantees that in two years you are buying a new phone.

Never mind the explodo-chinese-electrolytic cap issues with LCD monitors on the power boards which typically fail about a year and a half in for those who use their computers on a "workday" basis.  Those I can easily fix and have several times for both myself and friends; $5 worth of caps instead of a new $200+ monitor.

This contrasts with the old Pioneer receiver, also full of electrolytic caps, that currently runs my PC speakers.  It's nearing being of legal drinking age and works just fine, or my KEF 104/2s that I just rebuilt -- and the crossovers, including the caps on them, have no problems at all.

Bushing has a great overview of the guts of the 5000NEX - https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.html . Hopefully his work and maybe some others will lead to firmware mods for the 2014 NEX owners.

In the case of the 5000NEX, it's running a dual core 1Ghz Cortex, which is most likely the same thing the entire NEX line is running, possibly give or take a couple hundred Mhz depending on the particular unit's price. Cheap, no-name android devices like $99 tablets and $50 android media sticks and boxes have better specs than these. There's no technical limitation preventing the 2014 NEX units from running the exact same features the new units run. This is purely planned obsolescence, which is no longer an excuse in any way given the prices people are paying and the technology involved.

While I'm not thrilled by these developments overall, there are ways around these issues. Speaking of no-name android devices, I'm currently running my 8000NEX with an android media stick which works perfectly from the touch screen and let's me effectively have a complete android car-puter for the 50 bucks I paid for the stick and without having to deal with all the annoying issues connecting my cell phone and getting the appradio app to work. In fact, I just came across a video of someone that used his Chromecast as a wireless screen mirror for his phone, and the 8000's touch screen works with this perfectly. So in the end, even if we as 2014 NEX owners don't get these new features in future firmware upgrades, there are definitely good work arounds for us.

Which android stick are you using?  (I'm assuming you are referring to ARUnchained)

I'm currently trying to use my OnePlus One with Chromecast but it doesn't work that great.  I've thought about buying a cheap android stick though.

I'm currently running my 8000NEX with an android media stick which works perfectly from the touch screen and let's me effectively have a complete android car-puter for the 50 bucks I paid for the stick and without having to deal with all the annoying issues connecting my cell phone and getting the appradio app to work. In fact, I just came across a video of someone that used his Chromecast as a wireless screen mirror for his phone, and the 8000's touch screen works with this perfectly. So in the end, even if we as 2014 NEX owners don't get these new features in future firmware upgrades, there are definitely good work arounds for us.

If you don't mind, can you tell us what the boot time of your Android stick is?

Which android stick are you using? (I'm assuming you are referring to ARUnchained)

I'm currently trying to use my OnePlus One with Chromecast but it doesn't work that great. I've thought about buying a cheap android stick though.

I'm using one of the many mx809iii sticks with AR Unchained Reloaded. There are also a number of car oriented launchers on the store that I've been trying. The stick is up and running in about 2 minutes. I just tether it to my phone and and it works pretty nicely. The only issue is no phone calls, but I'm still looking at options.

Hell, there are 100% android car stereos that ive seen recently that look really cool that have good specs and features and they may end up being better buys than continuing to buy units from the big names only to be abandoned at the beginning of the next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Crutchfield has the 8000NEX at $500 off. Same price now as the 6000NEX. Hope they continue to provide firmware updates for the x000 series as well as the x100 ones. Hardware can't be that different in order to accommodate the Android Auto.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1308000NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-8000NEX.html?showAll=N&search=Avic_8000nex&skipvs=T

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Pioneer continue to support even their current generation product let alone one that is less than a year out of date? Nope. They are horrible at supporting legacy hardware unless something on them becomes utterly broken like the iOS 7 update and the Appradio 1. 

Except the only thing the Idatalink module is providing is steering wheel control adapter. There's still no car diagnostics or OEM telematics connection like you can get with Kenwood or Alpine systems. So in other words, nothing has changed.

Sorry for the late response, just catching up to this thread.

From what I've read, its not a module limitation, but its a Pioneer limitation.

And that Pioneer doesn't plan to enable these functions on the AVIC NEX models.

Sorry for the late response, just catching up to this thread.

From what I've read, its not a module limitation, but its a Pioneer limitation.

And that Pioneer doesn't plan to enable these functions on the AVIC NEX models.

Which is hilarious because in their CES 2014 videos they were showing the features off working from iDatalink. 

The moment I can reasonably afford to buy a new head unit, I'm going to buy a different brand than Pioneer and never look back. The way this company treats its customers is a joke. Customer satisfaction is an afterthought at best.

Like what?  I am looking for a head unit and I was thinking Kenwood DNN 991hd or the alpine unit.