AVIC411.com

What phone works best?

If you were to pick a phone to use with the 8000, which one would you choose and why? 

Here is what I'm after.  I'm after a phone that will allow me to use Waze and/or Google Maps on the 8000.  I'm sure there will be other apps I want to use some day, but those are the big two.  One or the other...or both.  (I guess using Google leaves iPhone out)  But I would consider iPhone if it works extremely well with Waze.  Please let me know your thoughts.  I have a Droid Maxx right now, but it doesn't have the HDMI port to it and it looks like that will be necessary to use a Droid phone the way I need.  Anyway, your input is greatly appreciated.

Here is list of compatible android phones and connection needed for appradio mode. To get full control of all apps on android, you must root the phone and purchase appradio unchained, or AR Liberator(both ob google store for 29.99) . With iphone you have carplay using only usb cord, or appradio using Apple digital A/V Adapter. Either way, app radio is limited to only official apps.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Android+Compatibility

I have an iPhone 6, I've tried both AppRadio and CarPlay. They both work well. But honestly, I think CarPay is a bit more refined. 

As for Waze, I really wish Google and Apple could just get along. But honestly, if you get the ClearChannel traffic service, the built in navigation does quite well. 

For other apps, it really comes down to whats available. I didn't play with AppRadio very long, because I don't like the interface. Though without a browser available for CarPlay, I will be be keeping the HDMI available for when I need it.

Galaxy S4 is working great with appRadio. Can't unchain it since it is a work phone which is kind of lame but I would assume anything in the compatability list would be great and even better if you can root and use appRadio unchained. 

I'm hoping they announce android radio firmware for the 8000 like the brand new 8100. Android radio is pretty good looking. 

CarPlay does look more polished so if an apple phone is an option for you it might not be a bad choice if one of your main factors is connecting to your NEX

This is all great information.  I sure wish I had waited a week for the new 8100.  Didn't even think about it.  Dumb. 

It sounds like iPhone is better adapted to this unit...which doesn't surprise me.  But I really don't want to give up Google.  xtelosx, does your Galaxy allow the use of Waze or Google Maps without being rooted?  If so, that may be good enough for me.

joemmamma1954...Are you saying that the AppRadio app I downloaded from the Play Store will not work with this?  It was free.  It even said it was for Pioneer.  I sure wish I had a better handle on all this stuff.

This is all great information.  I sure wish I had waited a week for the new 8100.  Didn't even think about it.  Dumb. 

It sounds like iPhone is better adapted to this unit...which doesn't surprise me.  But I really don't want to give up Google.  xtelosx, does your Galaxy allow the use of Waze or Google Maps without being rooted?  If so, that may be good enough for me.

joemmamma1954...Are you saying that the AppRadio app I downloaded from the Play Store will not work with this?  It was free.  It even said it was for Pioneer.  I sure wish I had a better handle on all this stuff.

The appradio app is limited to Pioneer approved apps and frankly more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Seriously, if you don't want to give up on Google consider getting a compatible (rootable) phone and installing ARU Reloaded on it. At $30 it's expensive as far as apps go, but there are no more limitations, no more inconsistencies, and it's well supported by the developer. Your HU simply becomes the display for your phone and thus all apps work exactly the way you expect them to. It's practically a no brainer.

Galaxy S4 is working great with appRadio. Can't unchain it since it is a work phone which is kind of lame but I would assume anything in the compatability list would be great and even better if you can root and use appRadio unchained. 

I'm hoping they announce android radio firmware for the 8000 like the brand new 8100. Android radio is pretty good looking. 

CarPlay does look more polished so if an apple phone is an option for you it might not be a bad choice if one of your main factors is connecting to your NEX

Isn't the S4 2G and 3G only?  No 4G?

Seriously, if you don't want to give up on Google consider getting a compatible (rootable) phone and installing ARU Reloaded on it. At $30 it's expensive as far as apps go, but there are no more limitations, no more inconsistencies, and it's well supported by the developer. Your HU simply becomes the display for your phone and thus all apps work exactly the way you expect them to. It's practically a no brainer.

This really appears to be the answer and I am probably going to go this way.  I have a question that you may or may not be able to asnwer.  I know you have to root your phone (my son is an executive with a major carrier and he's having heartburn over this.)  My current phone is a Droid Maxx.  MHL is not supported by the look of things.  Does rooting the phone allow MHL?  This phone does not have an HDMI port, so an MHL adapter would be required.  Otherwise, I need to go to a Droid Razr Maxx HD that has HDMI.  Does using ARU Reloaded get you past the phone restrictions placed by Pioneer? 

Thank you for your input.

This really appears to be the answer and I am probably going to go this way.  I have a question that you may or may not be able to asnwer.  I know you have to root your phone (my son is an executive with a major carrier and he's having heartburn over this.)  My current phone is a Droid Maxx.  MHL is not supported by the look of things.  Does rooting the phone allow MHL?  This phone does not have an HDMI port, so an MHL adapter would be required.  Otherwise, I need to go to a Droid Razr Maxx HD that has HDMI.  Does using ARU Reloaded get you past the phone restrictions placed by Pioneer? 

Thank you for your input.

Great questions! Unfortunately rooting will not allow you to use an MHL connection on a non MHL enabled device. For our purposes here rooting only removes some artificial restrictions that stop you from running ARU Reloaded. The Razr Maxx HD also doesn't support MHL (no Motorola devices do), but I believe it is confirmed to work with ARU Reloaded via a straight HDMI to HDMI connection.

You are not limited to just the MAXX HD...many devices can be connected to the 8000 and use ARUR in a variety of ways...some through straight HDMI, some through MHL or Slimport, and some via Chromecast (this last is a little more complicated to set up and I don't necessarily recommend it except as a last resort). There are a few considerations, but the primary thing you have to look out for is that you can achieve root on your phone. For example, based on your current phone I am assuming you are on Verizon, and thus would not recommend the Note 4 (the phone I use on Sprint), as unless something has changed very recently root access has not been achieved on the Verizon variant. However, something like a Samsung S5 should be OK using MHL, or an LG G3 via slimport.

The answer to your last question is a qualified...kind of. It doesn't mean you can run ARUR on any and every device willy nilly, but people are running ARUR on all kinds of devices...including some android devices that aren't even phones. For example, here is a video of someone demonstrating ARUR running via an LG G3. Granted, it's on a european HU, though the principle is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcDvsW0Q3_0

The point is that despite the fact that the G3 isn't officially on the Pioneer sanctioned phone list everything still works as intended. Generally speaking, where there's a will there's a way.

I hope your son doesn't get to bent out of shape over this, though I respect his position. Root access allows you to do things with your phone that the carriers sometimes frown upon, though in this case your need for root access is totally benign. If you've never rooted an android device before I suspect you are going to find your research a little overwhelming at first, but for most devices it's actually fairly simple to do. Many devices have a once click root method availalbe that will do all the heavy lifting for you.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you find at least some of this info helpful!

...I hope you find at least some of this info helpful!

Mods, this last post by Nillaz needs to be a sticky.  There are answers in there that I've been searching for quite some time now.  I know others have as well.

Thank you Nillaz for taking the time to help with this.  I can't tell you how much it's appreciated.