AVIC411.com

CarPlay won't activate in AVIC 5000 unit

Hi,

I installed an AVIC-5000NEX in my 2011 Ram 1500 yesterday.  I used the iDataLink Maestro to enable steering controls.  The firmware shows to be 1.081000 on the head unit from the factory and I am using an iPhone 6 with the latest iOS installed.  When I plug the iPhone into the unit(in USB port 1) it immediately recognizes it as an iPod and does not enable CarPlay. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Nevermind - I had the SmartPhone set up as BlueTooth - not USB.  I now have it working.  On a side note I have a battery case on my iPhone 6 and CarPlay is enabling via the USB extension AND the Micro USB cable used for the battery case.  It appears the requirement of a Lightening cable directly to the head unit may not be 100% accurate.

I've gotten same setup in a Grand Cherokee.

So far, Spotify is super buggy but the other apps seem okay. I'm not blown away by the sound quality of phone calls... It's actually sounds pretty bad. I've heard Bluetooth calls sound better, but I haven't tried it yet...

Keep checking in no let us know how it is working for you.

• 1 month later...