AVIC411.com

Installed AVH-4000NEX - no Car Play but got AppRadio to work

I purchased a new 4000NEX and installed it today.  The head unit works great via Bluetooth, but I cannot seem to get the iPhone to work in App Radio or in Car Play.

I followed the instructions and attached an HDMI to an Apple HDMI/lightning to lightning module.  I plugged an iPhone lightning cable into USB1 and into the HDMI/lightning to lightning module.

I attached a pic of what I get when I go to USB1 as a source

post-129310-0-90897700-1427084690_thumb.jpg

and another pic of what the home screen shows (no iPod attached)

post-129310-0-64919000-1427084748_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks, John

If the unit is new,   you need to do the update:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-4000NEX?tab=firmware

The AVH-4000NEX features Apple CarPlay (firmware update required). CarPlay is the smarter, safer and more fun way to use your iPhone® in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch

If the unit is new,   you need to do the update:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-4000NEX?tab=firmware

The AVH-4000NEX features Apple CarPlay (firmware update required). CarPlay is the smarter, safer and more fun way to use your iPhone® in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch

The firmware update is for version 1.08 and the instructions say to check to see what version is loaded before you update.  The version from the factory was 1.08 so I did not do the firmware update.

CarPlay only requires lightning cable to usb1, and in smartphone setup in the nex, select the usb setting. It does not require HDMI, THAT IS for app radio

Can you use the HDMI/lightning to lightning adapter like below?

Lightning still goes from USB1 through this and into the iPhone 5S.  I still get power, I just don't get access to Car Play or App Radio.

post-129310-0-26082900-1427121477_thumb.jpg

Update - I talked to Pioneer and the guy told me that I needed to change the settings in order to use either Car Play or AppRadio.  I changed the settings and got AppRadio to sort of work but still cannot get Car Play to work.

When I change the Phone setting to "av adapter" I am able to access my AppRadio compatible apps (Waze shows up but displays a message that it is not supported).  I tried Maps and it works.  The thing is when I am in AppRadio mode, I can no longer use the Bluetooth connection to play music.  How do I play my iPhone play lists when in AppRadio mode?

Pioneer told me that to use Car Play I needed to connect to USB1 and set the Phone setting to USB - Well that does not work still.

I am new with this and have been trying to find my answers in the manual but to no avail.

Thanks, John

I yanked the unit back out and disconnected the hdmi adapter and ran the lighting directly from USB1.  Car Play works.  So it seems that I can have AppRadio OR Car Play and not both.

I plan to route all of the ports (HDMI, USB1, USB2 & AUX) out to the dash so I can hook up whatever config I want without removing the head unit.

If you ran an hdmi cable to the same spot where you ran your phone lightning connector couldn't you plug in the digital av connector to the hdmi and lightning cable when you wanted to use app radio and then just remove the adapter and connect directly to the regular lightning cable when you want carplay? When I look at the digital av adapter it has a female lightning port..