AVIC411.com

Brain location (part 2)

Ok, So as some of you know, I recently got an N3 installed in my 08 Scion tC. The place that installed it put the brain up under the carpet on the passenger side. My cousin says this is wrong, and that it HAS to be under the seat. Something about it would be harder to steal if it's under that seat.

Does it really make that big of a difference? And if so, would I come across as an asshole if when I go back to get my Ipod/Sirius installed I asked them to move it? (or is that fact that they did it this way in the first place a sign I should find a new installer?)

Thanks a lot for the replies,

Does anyone know off hand what kind of performance issues I would see. Sometimes it does seem like it has me as being 10-30 feet off of where I actually am, but having been in the military, I'm used to GPS not being 100% accurate.

I just want to know if I have an actual basis for asking them to move it, or if I'm just over-thinking this.

Ok, now I have the right part.

If it is sitting at an angle > 30 degrees then bring it back and insist they relocate it.

The units I use are very accurate. Check to see if yours is calibrated yet and the VSS wire is connected. I am impressed with the accuracy of my D2 and my Dad's N1. However the ones I install are never calibrated when they leave, so they are sometimes off a bit.

post-1773-12872753061159_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm definitely going to ask them to move it. My last question is, is there a way to know it's hooked up the VSS just from the unit itself in a settings menu or something, or do you have to visually verify the wire? I don't even know how to remove the head unit, let alone start tracking down wires. As I've said before, I'm technically inclined with computers and home stereo and such, but when it comes to car stuff, I'm completely new (I've forgotten what a shitty feeling that is).

Ok, I know the menu you mean, I can check it out tomorrow. I checked it stationary a little earlier and it has something about unit position and that says "OK".

So assuming that the VSS is hooked up, and the unit says the position is ok, is there really any reason I should make a big deal of this? I have a tendency to get obsessive about things, and want them to be perfect...

Yeah, I'm a freak.