AVIC411.com

My blackberry Q10 gave up the ghost so it was time to upgrade my device.  Due to my employers inability to adequately support anything but iPhones I went to the dark side and settled for an iPhone6.  At first I thought it might be cool to make use of the "integration" between my AVIC and iPhone rather than the limited Bluetooth streaming supported via my BB.  Well, here is how my first three attempts to use CarPlay went:

Attempt #1) I updated the AVIC firmware to 1.08 as required and plugged my iPhone into USB1 with the apple supplied lightning cable.  About 10 secs later the AVIC crashed and rebooted itself.  When it came back up it was as if it was being powered on for the first time.  I was forced to go through the entire setup sequence again.  ALL of my settings had been lost; navigation, sound, lighting preferences, everything - blown away.

Attempt #2) After going through all the setup I decided I would risk it another time and try to use CarPlay again.  This time it worked for about 10 minutes (that's an order of magnitude improvement!) before the screen went totally blank and a loud (and I mean ear piercing loud) high pitched sound was emitted from all channels.  The unit was totally unresponsive.  The only way I could get it to stop was to turn the car off.  The only consolation was that at least it didn't lose all my settings.

Attempt #3) same as attempt #2.

I also noticed that the Bluetooth (and CarPlay) integration with the iPhone is less functional than my BB Q10.  The Q10 enabled all of the play features on the AVIC interface you would expect; e.g. shuffle,  repeat, art work, etc. while control of the iPhone through the head unit is dumber than a door knob.  This is true when using either the device's built-in music app or the Neutron app (for both BB and iPhone).  All-in-all, the iPhone is a significant step down from my former Blackberry Q10.

I don't know who's fault it is but I like to think it's Apple since a. I hate them and b. everything worked fine between the NEX and BB (though that was only the Bluetooth interface).  One thing is for sure, this was pushed out the door way before it was ready.  Boy do I feel like a sucker.  I guess Sirius/XM can breath a sigh of relief - for now.  Apple CarPlay kind'a reminds me of the Apple Newton. :)

My blackberry Q10 gave up the ghost so it was time to upgrade my device.  Due to my employers inability to adequately support anything but iPhones I went to the dark side and settled for an iPhone6.  At first I thought it might be cool to make use of the "integration" between my AVIC and iPhone rather than the limited Bluetooth streaming supported via my BB.  Well, here is how my first three attempts to use CarPlay went:

Attempt #1) I updated the AVIC firmware to 1.08 as required and plugged my iPhone into USB1 with the apple supplied lightning cable.  About 10 secs later the AVIC crashed and rebooted itself.  When it came back up it was as if it was being powered on for the first time.  I was forced to go through the entire setup sequence again.  ALL of my settings had been lost; navigation, sound, lighting preferences, everything - blown away.

Attempt #2) After going through all the setup I decided I would risk it another time and try to use CarPlay again.  This time it worked for about 10 minutes (that's an order of magnitude improvement!) before the screen went totally blank and a loud (and I mean ear piercing loud) high pitched sound was emitted from all channels.  The unit was totally unresponsive.  The only way I could get it to stop was to turn the car off.  The only consolation was that at least it didn't lose all my settings.

Attempt #3) same as attempt #2.

I also noticed that the Bluetooth (and CarPlay) integration with the iPhone is less functional than my BB Q10.  The Q10 enabled all of the play features on the AVIC interface you would expect; e.g. shuffle,  repeat, art work, etc. while control of the iPhone through the head unit is dumber than a door knob.  This is true when using either the device's built-in music app or the Neutron app (for both BB and iPhone).  All-in-all, the iPhone is a significant step down from my former Blackberry Q10.

I don't know who's fault it is but I like to think it's Apple since a. I hate them and b. everything worked fine between the NEX and BB (though that was only the Bluetooth interface).  One thing is for sure, this was pushed out the door way before it was ready.  Boy do I feel like a sucker.  I guess Sirius/XM can breath a sigh of relief - for now.  Apple CarPlay kind'a reminds me of the Apple Newton. :)

what is more to expect from an iPhone Hater.  Fact is,, your problem has nothing to do with iPhone but more so in user error upgrading firmware.   I would offer help but i don't want to get blamed for your stupidly.  good luck! 

what is more to expect from an iPhone Hater. Fact is,, your problem has nothing to do with iPhone but more so in user error upgrading firmware. I would offer help but i don't want to get blamed for your stupidly. good luck!

It almost seems like he was hoping CarPlay wouldn't work so he could go on an anti-Apple rant. Mine works great, by the way. Some minor bumps, but I use it and enjoy it every day.

what is more to expect from an iPhone Hater.  Fact is,, your problem has nothing to do with iPhone but more so in user error upgrading firmware.   I would offer help but i don't want to get blamed for your stupidly.  good luck! 

Think before you reply to someone. Do you appreciate people calling you names?  Neither do they. Cut it out.

Think before you reply to someone. Do you appreciate people calling you names?  Neither do they. Cut it out.

Trust me,, I thought about it and decided to question one's ability to follow instruction, much less attack or blame a device not causing issue. In other words, no name calling, just questioning one's ability...

BTW. Stupidity is defined as behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment.

You're in check......thanks

I use mine every day, and I immediately load CarPlay as my main interface for using my NEX8000. Any "minor bumps" are few and far between, even running Beta iOS 9... Sounds like a hardware/firmware issue.

It almost seems like he was hoping CarPlay wouldn't work so he could go on an anti-Apple rant. Mine works great, by the way. Some minor bumps, but I use it and enjoy it every day.