AVIC411.com

Update from Pioneer 'Address Lock-up/Freezing Issue'

I was going to ask the same question. I was thinking about updating anyway. Probably will get a new HD and image the Z2ish upgrade. But I would LOVE to get my unit to stop freezing. Either way, if it DOES include the bypass "fix", then I'm certain that the 2-wire method still works. I'm gonna try it I think. I'll let you know ther results.

I wouldn't worry about the bypass. I did the Z2 mod with a new 80GB HD and have no issues at all playing DVD's while driving.

actually I did the 2 wire bypass when I had the Z1 so for me didn't need to do anything.

Guess I'm lucky as I only had the unit lock up onces and that was about a 1yr ago.

I guess I'm a little confused, I haven't been on the site in about a year and a half since I installed my Z1 the flasher by-pass unit so please bare with me. I decided to get back on to check out what people were saying about the new firmware. If I install the firmware and the flasher unit no longer works, what then?

I guess I'm a little confused, I haven't been on the site in about a year and a half since I installed my Z1 the flasher by-pass unit so please bare with me. I decided to get back on to check out what people were saying about the new firmware. If I install the firmware and the flasher unit no longer works, what then?

then you just do the 2 wire bypass. also do the Z2 upgrade as well if you want.

then you just do the 2 wire bypass. also do the Z2 upgrade as well if you want.

Z2 upgrade? Sorry it's been a while since I was on this site. I guess I could search but just a quick rundown would be great. I'm not a tech savy guy by the way so if you are refering to that whole deal of hooking my Z1 HD to my computer, that's not going to happen. Thanks for your help. I can handle the 2 wire deal tho.

I have never experienced the lockup issue and even though I live in MI with a moderate climate, I have spent time in the past few years in the desert during July, with the temps have hit over 110, and I have never experienced a lockup.

So, I'm going to file this email away following this suggestion from Pioneer.

"If you are not experiencing any lock-up or freezing issues currently, there is no need to take action at this time because the one-time fix to resolve the issue will be available if an AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 later experiences the issue and because your system may never experience the issue."

Guess I believe in the old saying, if it is not broke, don't fix it. :D

I'm kind of in a Catch22 about installing the firmware. Looks like if I do install the firmware to help with the heat related lock-ups, my flasher by-pass will no longer work and I will have to pull the unit to ground 2 wires. It's freakin 108 degrees today and there is no way I'm doing it untill the temp outside drops (month or so). I'm gonna wait it out and see how this thing works itself out. I think it's just a half ass software solution to a hardware issue anyway.

I'm kind of in a Catch22 about installing the firmware. Looks like if I do install the firmware to help with the heat related lock-ups, my flasher by-pass will no longer work and I will have to pull the unit to ground 2 wires. It's freakin 108 degrees today and there is no way I'm doing it untill the temp outside drops (month or so). I'm gonna wait it out and see how this thing works itself out. I think it's just a half ass software solution to a hardware issue anyway.

with the 2 wire bypass you don't need to do anything when you start ur car. just go and enjoy, man 108!!!

I'm in San Diego and to me its very hot here. hit 100 the other day. Can't wait to move back to the Bay Area.

Borrow a light and do it in the garage at night. Takes about two minutes to do once you have the deck out

K. How bout a fan and a light? It should literally take you minutes unless your car is difficult to work on. Or wait til winter, whatever works

Borrow a light? That's funny, I think. Garage is still at least 90-100 even at night. I'll wait it out at least a few weeks and see if people see a difference. Thanks