AVIC411.com

Just had it installed!!

I just had the Z1 installed in my 04 Explorer at Best Buy. They did a very good job. I had them add the sirius adapter, rear view adapter, ipod adapter and bluetooth adapter. They installed the circuit to bypass the security feature, put the factory CD player under the middle seat to keep the factory DVD functional (for power), installed an adapter I got from Crutchfield to keep the steering wheel controls functional and lastly installed a mount for my ipod built into the dash. It took them from 10AM to about 8PM ( I called for updates throughout the day) and they charged me about 700.00 out the door for installation. Additionally they connected the Z1 to the factory DVD player so a DVD in the Z1 shows up in both. If the DVD is put in the factory player the sound can only be heard through the headphones but if put in the Z1 can be heard through the speakers. I was very happy with their install and professionalism. Does anyone think I paid too much for the install ?

steven
Additionally, I purchased most of my equipment though 6thave.com. Roberto was very up from with the bluetooth backlog and how it was not going to be available for some time. Everything else I got in a few days at a great price. I definitely had a good experience through 6thave.com.

Steven
Well $700 seems to be a lot of money, but if everything works and they even installed the bypass circuit (something a lot of big chains will not do) then be happy. There are a lot of people here and who contact me who have trouble getting shops to even install the thing correctly. I guess it's a bit high, but you didn't even buy the unit there?

They spent 10 hours on your vehicle? That's $70/hour. I spent quite a lot of my own time on mine (an 03 Aviator which is very close to your 04 Explorer) and it wasn't hard but it was very time consuming.

I'm sure people will come here and post that you paid too much and some people would be able to do it for less money. But it depends on your area. In the NYC tri-state area (where I happen to live), I would think it would cost more than in other parts of the country (houses cost more too). :) But all that really matters is that you found a knowledgable installer, one who didn't kill you for bothering him multiple times during the day :) And that you are happy with the install. Isn't that all that really matters? A good job? And sometimes that's worth a little extra.

Congratulations with your successful install. Use it well!
That doesn't sound too bad, considering you didn't buy from them. Surprised they would install it. I paid a premium to buy from CC because I was unplugging a custom install on a Pioneer P9. The factory harness had been pulled out by the previous installer. They charged me $180 and installed the Z1 and a GEX-920 plus a custom dash kit that they crafted. Sounds like we ended up spending close to the same amount.
[quote name="sdp1969"]I just had the Z1 installed in my 04 Explorer at Best Buy. They did a very good job. I had them add the sirius adapter, rear view adapter, ipod adapter and bluetooth adapter. They installed the circuit to bypass the security feature, put the factory CD player under the middle seat to keep the factory DVD functional (for power), installed an adapter I got from Crutchfield to keep the steering wheel controls functional and lastly installed a mount for my ipod built into the dash. It took them from 10AM to about 8PM ( I called for updates throughout the day) and they charged me about 700.00 out the door for installation. Additionally they connected the Z1 to the factory DVD player so a DVD in the Z1 shows up in both. If the DVD is put in the factory player the sound can only be heard through the headphones but if put in the Z1 can be heard through the speakers. I was very happy with their install and professionalism. Does anyone think I paid too much for the install ?

Your setup works the sam as mine in my F150. Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this setup. I love it and so does my kids. Nice to hear that everything went well.

steven[/quote]
I think I spent about 5 hours installing mine overall (including ripping out the old system which included Kenwood Keg... For sale if anyone wants it, KCA-R70FM for the keg, Original Sirius adapter with Sirius FM transmitter, Shaker 500 and a PIE interface)

THEN

Installing... Z1, ND-BT1, SIR-PNR1, GEX-P10XMT, CD-IB100, that freakin Microphone and the Amp Tweak so I don't thump heavily on turn-on. THEN another 30 minutes installing Ducati's flasher bypass circuit once that got delivered