AVIC411.com

Firmware update failed?

I'm having the same problem as workingman70... I called Pioneer and they told me that they would call me back tomorrow when the manager is in. He said it's the second one today that has had the problem. i asked him what we're going to have ot do to fix it and he said we would have to send them in to be repaired.. F**k that.. I'm going to be PISSED OFF if I have to take my Z2 out and pay to ship it to them and be without it till they fix it. Now I have a $1500 paperweight sitting in my dash because of a so-called "FIX" published by Pioneer. If anyone hs any feedback or is going through the same thing let me know. I did the bypass update yesterday and grounded the 2 wires. It worked great after I hit "retry" 100+ times. Now I have a "Pioneer Paperweight"

I have an early Z1 that has never been bypassed (bought a circuit, but never wanted to mess with it). The freezing that I have been experiencing daily in Tucson finally convinced me to pull out the unit and install the update. I downloaded the update from Pioneer's website and burned it on a CD using Sonic. Pulled the unit, completed the two wire bypass, and installed the update. Got a "parking brake" error message when the Z1 cycled back. Completed a Level 1 reset, and voila... no problems and completely bypassed. I'm pretty damn happy, but will report back tomorrow after my car sits in 100 degree heat during the workday.

Remember: If you have a back-up camera, you will need to change the setting back to ON in system settings after the reset, or it will not be recognized

I used a Maxwell CD-R and burned it as a Mode 1 single session cd. And it looked like it was updating fine got to 92/92 and then said "update program failed". It then rebooted and did a 1/1 update and came back and said "update program failed" again. Now it is caught in a continuous loop. And i know without a doubt mine is a AVIC Z2 model and not an Z1 updated to a Z2. I guess I will be with everyone else when I am calling Pioneer and Cussing them out for all the issues I have had to endure over the past couple months.

Update: I got in my truck tonight and I had already taken out the "firmware update" CD that I burned earlier that caused me all the problems. Without the CD in the HU, I started the truck to move it into the driveway and it did the 1/1 upload and now it's working just fine. Not sure what happened or what fixed it but I never put the CD back in because I expected to be sending it to Pioneer tomorrow. I drove it around the block a few times and everything seems to work fine... I'll update if I have any other issues after 200-300 miles.

I got up this morning and started up my wife's car, which has the avic z2 in it and it did a 1/1 update and then said "update program completed". The deck then rebooted and booted all the way up. I checked the Service Info Screen and held the top left corner of the screen for about 4-5 seconds and it displayed the updated code. So i will find out tonite how the deck does during the daytime. Just an FYI

Now I am going to attempt to do the bypass update tonite. :) Wish me luck!!!

Update: I got in my truck tonight and I had already taken out the "firmware update" CD that I burned earlier that caused me all the problems. Without the CD in the HU, I started the truck to move it into the driveway and it did the 1/1 upload and now it's working just fine. Not sure what happened or what fixed it but I never put the CD back in because I expected to be sending it to Pioneer tomorrow. I drove it around the block a few times and everything seems to work fine... I'll update if I have any other issues after 200-300 miles.

did you check the system info screen and make sure the correct versions are shown?

I had a similar problem with the bluetooth update. I burned 3 different copies and they all had problems. Finally, I downloaded an ISO extractor (they are free all over the internet) and extracted the image to a folder on my hard drive. I then burned the contents of the folder to a disc. I put that in my Z1, reset it and it finished just fine.

So, if you are having problems with the install, I would try this method before sending it in for service.

Yep, I checked the service info screen and everything is updated... I.'m not sure what happened or how it completed the update (1/1 file) without the CD in the drive, but as long as it works I'm happy.. I drove it today again, but only for 20 miles or so and all the features are working fine, just haven't exposed it to too much heat yet... We'll see what happens