AVIC411.com

AVIC-N4 video now on YouTube

Some of that stuff seems nice enough. But what I want to know is, is there some kind of hardware difference between the n3 and the n4 that allows the n4 to do this stuff, or is it just a matter of brand stratification?

I mean I'm not going to begrudge them their profit, but is there a reason my n3 can't play divx, or ipod videos or use bluetooth outside of a software update?

Yeah, from what I understand the N4 is a completely different hardware platform:

* Different DVD mechanism, which is why the additional formats.

* Different iPod control chip, with the direct connect cable. Looks like video control is even different than D3, so maybe the chip is even different than D3. (N3 has no iPod chip, has to use CD-IB100II adapter)

I think these products are more like PC motherboards in a way - when a new main feature is introduced, older boards cant just be bios flashed to get it. Need the new motherboard. Video cards are the same way too - I have a 8800GTS that I spent a fortune on, and now 6 months later, the new 8600 series models have PureVideo HD decoding built in (which the 8800GTS doesn't have). *sigh*

Yeah, from what I understand the N4 is a completely different hardware platform:

* Different DVD mechanism, which is why the additional formats.

* Different iPod control chip, with the direct connect cable. Looks like video control is even different than D3, so maybe the chip is even different than D3. (N3 has no iPod chip, has to use CD-IB100II adapter)

I think these products are more like PC motherboards in a way - when a new main feature is introduced, older boards cant just be bios flashed to get it. Need the new motherboard. Video cards are the same way too - I have a 8800GTS that I spent a fortune on, and now 6 months later, the new 8600 series models have PureVideo HD decoding built in (which the 8800GTS doesn't have). *sigh*

I agree, but you might be able to send ur unit off for upgrades in the near future to one of those ebayer shops that mod the hardware of the unit. But the N4 seems almost completely different in terms of hardware, so maybe its not possible. I paid 275 to upgrade my N1 to an n3 with full xm and ipod controls and unlocked with 70mt disks. Im hoping that something similar will pop up for the n4. I think its totally worth it to spend a little money to have the latest greatest machine

• 1 month later...