AVIC411.com

Z2 Freezes on start, but plays. What now???

My Z2 has been installed for a few months. All is well. Bypass worked like a charm and it is a great unit. No issues at all. Then, today, I have a issue with it freezing. It is frozen on the splash screen. BUT, it still plays. I can use my steering remote to change the AV to FM, XM, AM, Etc. I can also adjust the volume and play albums from the library. The display remains on the splash screen.

I was parked, had a video playing. (Likely only the 2nd DVD I have ever played. I don't use this feature.). I turned the car off while the video was playing. When I open the door the car cuts the power to the electronics. I got back in a few minutes later, start up and the video starts to play., The display is still on the splash screen but I think nothing of it. When I use my MP3 player on the AUX it plays before the screen is fully booted.

Now the screen stays on the pioneer splash with the software version. I can change the audio source, no map, no menu no usable display. I can open it and remove the disc. I have done a few resets, no change.

What can I do now?

In the process of downloading it now. I'm not sure it will work as I have no control over the screen.

Called Pioneer, they say send it in if this does not work. That stinks.

if it helps at all, run your A/C for awhile to try to get the cab of your car/truck cold before attempting the fix. Maybe even do it at night.

I can't remember, but I want to say you won't need to do anything on-screen. And it should just automatically start updating. I could be wrong. But your music should quit and about 15 to 20 minites later, your HU should reboot.

just be sure to burn the disc right....no multisession...mode 1....cd-r...etc...

I put the z2 firmware disk in, and it started the upgrade. Things were looking good.

Process seemed to be going fine, it went thru 92/92 of the files, then said the update failed, restarting. It did this a few times with no change. I took the disk out and it still boots to the same, Update Failed, restarting. Reset had no affect. Took it out and sending back to Pioneer at this point.

I burned the disc per the support site and verified it. Still, update failed.

Heat was not an issue. I'm in Indy and it is only 60 this AM. Car was in the garage most of the time and was in underground parking garage during the upgrade. Have never had the heat issue.

Search through here a bit. I know there were some recent posts about the update failing just like yours. I can't remember what the fix was. But maybe burn the disc at a slower speed. And make sure that the disc is finalized after the burn.

I want to say that some just kept trying until it worked.

Eiher way, I'm pretty sure, from what I read, that they all were able to finally get it updated.

I decided to try it once more. I made another CD, just in case.

I wired it up again, turned on the power (I'd forgotten to remove the firmware CD), it booted to the setup, ran thru again, no errors and now works. Wow, what a surprise.

I'd already power cycled and reset several times. Had planned to insert the disc at various times assuming a loop of upgrade failed" and Rebooting" taking place. Not what happened, 1st restart after disconnect worked.

Not sure why it decided to break the loop and work this time, just glad it did. Thanks for suggesting to re-try. Although I was not yet in tears so that must not be required, yet.

just be sure to burn the disc right....no multisession...mode 1....cd-r...etc...

Sorry to go offtopic on this but what do they mean by no multisession ... mode 1... cd-r? I burned the new firmware onto a cd-r but when i install the cd-r into the z2 it does nothing ... I'm an old school guy and can't get the hang of this. Can anyone give me some help?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a known issue/defect with the product. There is a software fix you can download, however, mine locked up permanenetly after about 6 months and you will always have the last audio function you used, even with a lock up. Mine was still under warranty so the Installer replaced it with a new unit that already had the fix