AVIC411.com

Improper Navigation

I have found the Avic-Z2 having poor navigation problems. Will route me past the street I need to turn on and take me a mile out of the way and bring me back to it to make the turn. Its routing is no where near the routing of mapquest. Have had many other routing problems. Called Pioneer over it and they gave me a case number and will pass it on to their engineers. It is not a unit defect, it is a programing problem. Anyone else have these problems?

You will find that this is the worst nav system on the market today. I have bitched about it since the day I had it installed. I have encouraged other people to complain to pioneer in an effort to get them to do something about it but to no avail. I also received a case number and was told he would forward it to an engineer. That was over a year ago. Don't know why but you will not receive much support from people on this forum. They seem to like the the Z1 and Z2. In fact you will be criticized for it. They will tell you why did you buy the nav system when you know where your going anyway. I encouraged one person to complain to pioneer and someone replied to me that I was setting him to fail. If you don't try to resolve a problem it still remains a problem, in this case an extremely poor routing program in a nav system. I didn't buy my Z1 for the music library, sirius,xm, am,fm, dvd,cd, blue tooth, I bought it for the navigation, and the poor routing is why I sold it . And buy the way the person I sold it to called me and wanted me to take it back because as he put it "man the routing sucks"

Yes apparently the Z series does have some routing issues. It seems to be location specific though as not all owners seem to be experiencing the problem on this scale.

daveva, why are you making comments like that about this forum. Please do not confuse the problems with the Z series as being anyones fault on here simply because we contribute to a forum that supports these units. Noone on here makes the units. I went through all your post and replies and I didn't see but 1 reply to you on your comment that someone asked you why you needed a nav system to tell you how to get to a place you already new how to get to. And I dont feel you were "criticized" as you claim. And I was the one that responded that you were "setting him up for disappointment" as far as calling Pioneer. The reason I said that is because as you have rightfully stated their support system sucks and I was merely stating that by telling him to call them was going to lead to disappointment. I do however agree that a problem will never be solved unless you address it with the proper officials. But I personally dont share your negative comments about this forum and I think the record shows that we have contributed a lot of help to people on here.

First, you have a valid point that there are routing issuses, all nav systems have their flaws. You state all the stuff you didn't buy it for, and the funny thing is that your list is exactly why most people did buy it--everything in one! I don't have a Z1 anymore (D3 now,) but had very few problems in my area when I did, just lucky I guess

What I don't think you realize is that there are much (MUCH) worse indash and portable nav systems out there. So why waste your time bashing a product that you don't even own anymore? And then waste more time bashing a forum that provides useful information for literally thousands of people a day? Its as if you think Pioneer runs this board and will chase down the one customer that is still bitter. Sorry man, just people chasing knowledge here and the others who help them. Nobody capable of writing new code and donating them to Pioneer

You will find that this is the worst nav system on the market today. I have bitched about it since the day I had it installed. I have encouraged other people to complain to pioneer in an effort to get them to do something about it but to no avail. I also received a case number and was told he would forward it to an engineer. That was over a year ago. Don't know why but you will not receive much support from people on this forum. They seem to like the the Z1 and Z2. In fact you will be criticized for it. They will tell you why did you buy the nav system when you know where your going anyway. I encouraged one person to complain to pioneer and someone replied to me that I was setting him to fail. If you don't try to resolve a problem it still remains a problem, in this case an extremely poor routing program in a nav system. I didn't buy my Z1 for the music library, sirius,xm, am,fm, dvd,cd, blue tooth, I bought it for the navigation, and the poor routing is why I sold it . And buy the way the person I sold it to called me and wanted me to take it back because as he put it "man the routing sucks"
I didn't buy my Z1 for the music library, sirius,xm, am,fm, dvd,cd, blue tooth, I bought it for the navigation, and the poor routing is why I sold it

I don't get this at all. You bought a $2000 system for navigation only!?! WHY!? I agree with you 100% that the navigation in the Z1 and Z2 is out matched by $400 portable systems but if you are looking to spend this much money, I would hope you are looking for other features besides Nav.

I don't think anyone on this forum would suggest the Z1 or Z2 if you only need a navigation system, but if you want a in-dash DVD player with a 7" screen, HD for ripping music, integration with XM, Sirius, radio, Bluetooth, etc, THEN you can start considering the Z1 or Z2. That's why most of us bought it; for it's integration and expandability. Would we want the Navigation to performed better? Absolutely, but it's not the only reason most of us installed it in our cars.

Lastly, it's the integration and expandability that this forum provides support for. It's about pushing your system to it's technological limits.

First let me say I am glad I found this forum. Second let me say, when I buy a product I expect it to work. All of it, not just part of it. Magnum, if your happy on all your purchases, to only partially work, I feel sorry for you. I wonder what song you would be singing if the shoes where changed and the things you bought it for didn't work like you expected! I bought this product for its Nav system, everything else was a bonus. I brought up this topic to the forum to see if there was anyone else with the same problem. I guess there must be! I also must say I found the support at pioneer very friendly and helpful. I would just like some feed back and honesty that they are going to look into this problem and a time span on correction. No different than the freeze out issue.

the only time I had a problem with mine, is when the excess wire from the antenna covered the antenna somehow, which was poor installation on my behalf. That being said, my antenna sits under my dash, similar to this guys.

step15_212.jpg

I've been blown away from how accurate the Nav is, I've zoomed in and watched as I passed little side-roads(55'ish mph), and saw that when the very point of the arrow matched up to the street, so was my front bumper of my truck. I have confused it once while inner-city driving(tall buildings), when I flipped a quick bitch, as I saw another road that I wanted to take. It took almost 3 blocks before it redirected me. Usually it just takes a second to redirect. But I think it was because I hammered the U-turn out so quickly, and the combination of the building blocking the sig.

More/less I'm thinking that there is either something wrong with your install, or with your HU.

First let me say I am glad I found this forum. Second let me say, when I buy a product I expect it to work. All of it, not just part of it. Magnum, if your happy on all your purchases, to only partially work, I feel sorry for you. I wonder what song you would be singing if the shoes where changed and the things you bought it for didn't work like you expected! I bought this product for its Nav system, everything else was a bonus. I brought up this topic to the forum to see if there was anyone else with the same problem. I guess there must be! I also must say I found the support at pioneer very friendly and helpful. I would just like some feed back and honesty that they are going to look into this problem and a time span on correction. No different than the freeze out issue.

I'm sorry F350, none of that was directed toward you. It was directed toward daveva who basically said the Z1 and Z2 are nothing more than a door stop then said this forum offers no support. I disagree.

As far as your nav issue is concerned, I understand completely your frustration and desire to document the issue with Pioneer. For me personally, I did a lot of research before buying the Z1 and knew it was not the most accurate navigation system out there, but it worked. I have the system for almost a year and I'm very happy. Most of that is due to the forum and through adding things such as the Bluetooth and XMNavtraffic.

I don't consider it to partially work. The navigation interface is great and eash to use (IMO). The routing could use some work because it has me go past my turn just to make a U-turn sometimes. Regardless, I rely on the nav system every time I need to find a business or address I've never been to and it always gets me there. Is it perfect, no. Am I happy, yes.

Thats Ok Mag..apology excepted...XXRequiemxx...Pioneer ran the same routes I was using and they came up with what I did, so we know it is not a problem with the unit or the antenna. They also ran the routes with mapquest and came up with more proper driving directions and know there is a problem in their data network. Hopefully they will react to it.