AVIC411.com

Navigation Feature Abroad

Guest z1abroad

Guest z1abroad
The z1 has cool features, but the navigation features does not work in countries other than US and Canasa. Hope they develop a software to at least use the GPS tracking features, even without maps....
Since it has a gps reciever and a learning function, it should be able to remember the tracks that your car has traveled. Most GPS systems has these features, e.g. Garmin GPS10+. I also beleive that the Z1 has offroad tracking capabilities

Anyway, if you can figure out a way to help, it will be very appreciated.
But even with the history feature, you would still not see any roads, likely the screen would be black, and you would still have no routing feature. You would be able to find your way back from somewhere you have been, that is about it. I have a friend that I sold my N1 to, and he put it in his trail jeep and uses that feature when off road exploring....
A1cntrlr -- that's kinda' where my head was at too . . . I mean, sure the Z1 would remember what GPS coordinates you had travelled, but what would be displayed on screen (if anything)? I gotta' believe that without streets, the GPS data's value would be . . . . uh, not so helpful. But that's just me. :?:
Very unfortunate, however, there are no navigation systems available here in the Philippines. Had there been one, it woud have been what I bought.

If in anyway, someone can realize a way to help, I mean aside from returning and or replacing the unit, I would very much appreciate it. :?
[quote name="z1abroad"]
If in anyway, someone can realize a way to help, I mean aside from returning and or replacing the unit, I would very much appreciate it. :?[/quote]

Hello kababayan, unfortunately, you are stuck with what you have. There are members here in this forum that are trying their best to figure out the HDD of the Z1. All of your map db is stored on the HD. I believe you will need to unlock the mystery of the HD before you can add third party map data on the HD...if it is even possible. Some have been successful replacing the drives but it is not consistent. Good luck.
Hope they are able to unravel the HDD soonest..... I like the z1 a lot because of its many other features and its sound output. For me the navigation is just a plus in the unit.

Just got my BT from crutchfeld. It'll be delivered on 3rd august here. Its another feature that will make my driving easily luxurious.

:)
Unfortunately, the Z1 will not work outside of North America because the European GPS uses different satellites and GPS systems than the US. The Z1 won't recognize this system - if anyone remembers the 'line of sight' speech from Independence Day, you'll understand.
[quote name="jimmy303"]Unfortunately, the Z1 will not work outside of North America because the European GPS uses different satellites and GPS systems than the US. The Z1 won't recognize this system - if anyone remembers the 'line of sight' speech from Independence Day, you'll understand.[/quote]
GOOD POINT! And Galileo isn't scheduled until 2008
  • 2 weeks later...
The whole GPS system worldwide was put up by the the US Military for their own use.They later allowed the rest of us access to it and they don't guarantee that they won't pull the plug on us in the future.I think they have a way to limit the use to themselves so as not to help the enemy.Probably only in a national emergency. Checkout [url=http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/]www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/[/url]