AVIC411.com

3D calibration Bar @ 0 after 982 miles

[quote="shoman94

Speed Sense wire for your truck should a be a light blue wire that was part of the stock radio wiring.

VSS WIRE Lt.blue In harness on back of radio

Not always. Depends on the trim level. some of them there is no vss in the radio harness. You have to go to the gauge cluster to pickup vss.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I spent a whole day at the installer and after talking to both Nissan and Pioneer, he could not find a working vss wire in the instrument cluster. He says he previously hooked up the light blue wire in the wiring harness behind the radio which worked until I took it to teh dealer (see above). Nissan dealer faxed him a wiring diagram which indicated that the vss wires are light blue, green and yellow, and grey (I think he said grey or grey and white). This was also verbally confirmed by the service manager. It is not consistent with what I have seen on this site. The light blue didn't work and there was no green and yellow wire in the instrument cluster. I have read somewhere in this site that all you have to do is run a wire from the unit to pin 6 in the instrument cluster.....he says he did that too with no luck. At this point he is waiting for the Pioneer rep to figure it out. Of course, the nissan dealer put it all on Pioneer. I may have to start taking bids from some of you gurus to come to Jacksonville and figure this out.

If there is not blue wire in pin 6 of the gauge cluster harness. What he'll have to do is shove a wire into that pin and ziptie it to the other wires. That'll get you vss. have had to do that more than a couple times on various nissan trucks to get vss. Of course he could take the old school route and use an external vss signal generator. Though those things tend to be a bit on the expensive side.

My 3d calibration still isn't complete after nearly 2500 miles, lol.

The distance, right turn, and left turn meters were all filled up over 1500 miles ago. I guess it's just that I don't drive up and down hills enough, as the 3D meter at the bottom of the list that collects the incline data still has one bar left before it's full.

Seems like my problem is just as yours is, except I never noticed it.

How much during your daily driving do you go up or down inclines? If it's not much if at all, the 3D meter will fill up SLOOOOOOW.

My main problem that I am trying to figure out now is that my D-2 is picking up NO speed pulse when I view the hardware/connections screen. Bottom line it seems is that they need to find the right VSS wire to tap into so the unit will pick up a spped pulse and I will start registering 3D info and move from simple to 3D hybrid mode. Shouldn't Pioneer Electronics have specific and detailed install instructions by vehicle that tells the installer EXACTLY how to hook up the VSS ? Again, I am going thru this agony becuase my GPS is way off what it used to be before I took it to the dealer. And get this....although the installer has been very diligent about trying to find the problem, his boss actually told him not to spend so much time figuring out my problem. Duh ? I paid $180 for the install and shoudnt the vss wire hookup, so the unit will work as manufactured, be included ?

My main problem that I am trying to figure out now is that my D-2 is picking up NO speed pulse when I view the hardware/connections screen. Bottom line it seems is that they need to find the right VSS wire to tap into so the unit will pick up a spped pulse and I will start registering 3D info and move from simple to 3D hybrid mode. Shouldn't Pioneer Electronics have specific and detailed install instructions by vehicle that tells the installer EXACTLY how to hook up the VSS ? Again, I am going thru this agony becuase my GPS is way off what it used to be before I took it to the dealer. And get this....although the installer has been very diligent about trying to find the problem, his boss actually told him not to spend so much time figuring out my problem. Duh ? I paid $180 for the install and shoudnt the vss wire hookup, so the unit will work as manufactured, be included ?

Yes it is the installers obligation. Did you have a bose stereo before? what trim radio was it?

Shouldn't Pioneer Electronics have specific and detailed install instructions by vehicle that tells the installer EXACTLY how to hook up the VSS ?

Figuring out how to use a product in one of a thousand different applications is the installer's job, not pioneer's. I'd rather Pioneer spend their money researching how to make their products better, not wasting time providing info that is usually easily found somewhere else.

If there is not blue wire in pin 6 of the gauge cluster harness. What he'll have to do is shove a wire into that pin and ziptie it to the other wires. That'll get you vss. have had to do that more than a couple times on various nissan trucks to get vss. Of course he could take the old school route and use an external vss signal generator. Though those things tend to be a bit on the expensive side.

I just looked in the service manual... Like stated here... PIN-6 on the combination meter harness is the speed output. Tap into that and you'll be good.

Yes it is the installers obligation. Did you have a bose stereo before? what trim radio was it?

No bose, it was just the factory radio and 5 disc cd changer

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after taking my truck to another installer, I was told that my truck make, year, and trim, does not generate a speed pulse at all. In order to generate a speed pulse I am told that I have to tap off the databus in the vehicle and need a "canbus adapter". This seems very contrary to many of the posts on this site which make it look like it is a no brainer to hook up the VSS wire. To me it seems that this is the correct answer as two installers have been unable to get a speed pulse. Anybody know where I can get and how much a "canbus adapter" is ?

The CAN-Bus, also known as CAN Controller Area Network, is a serial data bus with a transmission rate of up to 1,000,000 Bit/s, equivalent to approximately 30 A4 pages. This involves the consistent networking of the vehicle electronics in so-called CAN-Bus systems. In this case, pulses are no longer transmitted via individual wiring harnesses, but along a single "data highway".

This seems very contrary to many of the posts on this site which make it look like it is a no brainer to hook up the VSS wire.

But that's just what it is, a no-brainer... on ALMOST all cars. There are always some that stray from the norm.

Good Day everyone,

I have never seen the speed pulse..... change from 0.

3,500 plus miles that have been recorded on the system.

3D area is still empty.

The D3 is in Simple Hybrid Mode.

I live in Florida which is pretty much flat. However, I was up in Maynardville,Knoxville, TN over the Holidays. Not huge altitude changes but enough one would think.

My speed is definitely being read by the D3 through the guage screen and in 3D calibration mode(above left, right turn), but no speed pulse change as far as I have seen.

Is the Hybrid Mode supposed to be something other then "Simple Hybrid"?

I have set my speeds in the avic for the roads.

It seems to depend what area I'm in(locally) as far as how close the navi system instructs me to turn. Sometimes she is bam bam right on it and others if I just left it up to the system, I would have missed my turn, but not by much. "Turn left now" just as the left turn lane is almost ending. If the left turn lane was lined with cars then one would be passing the turn.

Is this somewhat normal depending on signal(gps antenna is in the front right of the dash-2006 Mazda Tribute) or other calibration settings such as speed pulse, etc.

The hardware info screen also displays the back signal as being low...

She has been fairly decent so far, but some hiccups here and there(to be expected I think)