AVIC411.com

2002 Porsche 911 (996) AVIC-Z1 Install Picture

[b]UPDATE - Having Used the AVIC-Z1 for over a year, I really wish I had not purchased this unit. The key reason for this is the EXTREAMLY poor / slow iPod interface. It does not appear that any of the later releases remedy this (Z2 or Z3).[/b]

Thought I would share the final install picture with the group. I did the install myself and took a few pictures along the way in case others want to do this.

If you have a 1999 - 2002 Porsche 911 these pictures may help with your install.

I also used Ducatiboy's flasher circuit to enable more functionality while driving.

I think my install looks as close to factory as you can get with the AVIC-Z1.

keyword: [color=green][b]mivey911[/b][/color]
Thanks I really appreciate the comments. I had a great time doing the Z1 install. As requested, here is a picture of the whole car. After this picture was taken I changed the side marker lights (orange in the picture) to the European style (clear lenses) but have not taken a more recent picture.
Yep. Those are BumperPlugs you're spying. No Bose here. The factory stereo / CD player was a single DIN Becker (now owned by Harman Kardon) unit with the Hi-Fi option (amp and 6 total speakers). Porsche introduced the optional Bose system in 2003 along with a 'MOST' system that uses fiber optics. Many people dislike the Bose / MOST system because it makes upgrading your system difficult.

I really liked my factory unit and thought it produced great sound but it would not let me play MP3 disks and it did not support the iPod and bluetooth very well. This is what got me on the path to switch to the AVIC-Z1.

P/S If I had not read about Ducatiboy's flasher circuit on this forum, I would have never purchased the Z1.

[b]UPDATE - Having Used the AVIC-Z1 for over a year, I really wish I had not purchased this unit. The key reason for this is the EXTREAMLY poor / slow iPod interface. It does not appear that any of the later releases remedy this (Z2 or Z3).[/b]
I had to fabricate the 'faceplate' (the entire trim piece that directly surrounds the Z1). After creating the trim, I sanded it and used Rust-Oleum Textured Paint for Plastic (Black) to get the color / texture to match.

Thanks for the kind words. I am really happy with the finished look.
  • 4 months later...
If I remember correctly, the yellow plug on models with the hifi option is for the speakers and go to the stock amp (these are not the high output speaker outs that you use if your not using an Amp). I spliced into these wires with RCA plugs and pluged them inot the amp outs on the back of the Z1.
  • 1 month later...
Hi, I'm hoping to do the same install this weekend (also a 2002 996 cab). Did you find any off the shelf connectors so that I can go a "nice" job of plugging the Z1 into the 996. I'd rather not cut the connectors off the Porsche wiring loom!

If you did find some, can you let me know as much as possible about which ones and where you got them from please?

Many Thanks,
Graham