AVIC411.com

D3 blacked out on startup....?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems worse when it's cold (ok it doesn't ever really get cold here...cool). Did you get an RMA # from Pioneer? When I called, the instructions didn't give me confidence. :-(

No, I'm sending back to the vendor I bought it from and he's handling it....at least I hope he'll handle it correctly.

My d3 also blacks out on start up but not all the time mostly in a.m. When it does the lights on the d3 come on for 2 seconds and then the screen is black but will come on if i restart. Unit is in a 05 silverado diesel. Is it possible to I need to wire the power in different.

That's interesting. My trucks an 07 with the duramax. I used a metra GMOS-04 harness. Not sure why you would have to wire it in differently...?

I thought about that and thought maybe it was due to my Astrostart remote start but it does it when I remote start it or key start it. Unless the harness is screwed up but then why would it do it normally once the truck is started and for the rest of the day? I would think if it was wiring it would do it regardless of temperature and it would do it throughout the day but once my truck is started in the am it does not do it the rest of the starts during the day...

WHEN IT IS COLD (approx. 38f and below) My D3 also has a black screen @ start up. The first time it happened was after my dad had been driving the truck for a while, but it was also the first time the weather got below 40. I could have jumped to conclusions blaming him for screwing up my NAV, but instead I READ THE D3 MANUAL A BIT MORE and it states that the screen uses a florescent bulb and it will not charge up when it is cold.

I am quite certain this is the problem: 1. started happening when mother nature turned the temp. dial down below 40f at night. 2. only happens at start up(until the inside cab temp. reaches approx. toasty warm.) 3. Once the truck is shut off to reset the HU I am very happy to look @ the working screen playing one of my MOST VERY BESTEST snowmobile videos, SLEDNECKS or 2STROKECOLDSMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

In conclusion, when i bought the D3 I had no idea the weather would affect the screen as much as it does. Instead of wasting time taking my unit out and being without, I will put my efforts into a practical solution, like........wiring a switch into the acc. wire and manually turning the unit off and on to reset instead of turning the whole truck off and on, because that gets a little dangerous running down the highway @ 75mph. Or perhaps one of the electronic gurus here can tell us about some thermostat switch that will turn the unit on @ a designated temp. :D

Have a graet day

I'm experiencing a similiar problem. I drive an 07 Chevy with a duramax diesel. I first had the problem when it got cold. The first time it happened to me I turned the key to on and waited for the wait to start light to go off (glow plugs), while I was waiting the unit started like normal. It was in the middle of its loading process (the one with my custom picture, not the text it has right at first) and I turned the key to start. This is when the screen went blank. It looks to me that the screen back light is on, but there is no picture. I have audio, but it's like there is no video going to the screen. If I skip the wait to start it usually works like normal, or if I wait until it gets past the loading screen it will work like normal. I am thinking about adding another accessory wire from the one under the dash in addition to the one you get out of the harness. I will use a diode or a relay to make it work right. Any thoughts????

I'm experiencing a similiar problem. I drive an 07 Chevy with a duramax diesel. I first had the problem when it got cold. The first time it happened to me I turned the key to on and waited for the wait to start light to go off (glow plugs), while I was waiting the unit started like normal. It was in the middle of its loading process (the one with my custom picture, not the text it has right at first) and I turned the key to start. This is when the screen went blank. It looks to me that the screen back light is on, but there is no picture. I have audio, but it's like there is no video going to the screen. If I skip the wait to start it usually works like normal, or if I wait until it gets past the loading screen it will work like normal. I am thinking about adding another accessory wire from the one under the dash in addition to the one you get out of the harness. I will use a diode or a relay to make it work right. Any thoughts????

I think it's the head unit. If it were the wiring it would do it throughout the day. I thought the same thing with my glow plugs. First I thought it was my remote start then I thought I needed an extra wire connected and then I thought it was the GMOS-04 harness.

Is this issue only happening on diesel trucks? I also have a diesel truck. I'm trying to figure out when and why this is only happening intermittently when it's cold. I have noticed that it does it when it's around 40* or below. I also have noticed it only does it when the unit shuts off when I start the truck after waiting for the glowplug light to go off. However, I also have noticed that the unit doesn't shut off everytime when I start the truck. Anyone know why this would be?

Example:

This morning is was 31* when I went out to start the truck. I turned the key on, waited for the glowplug light to go off (which is only a second or two), then started the truck. The radio did not turn off when I started the truck.

Yesterday, the temp. was about the same. Did the same thing to start the truck. When I actually started the truck, the radio shut off then turned back on.

I believe the issue lies with the radio shutting off when the truck is started. If you have ever tried to turn on, say, a high pressure sodium bulb it too will not come back on for a while if it's immediately turned off after being lit.

I don't think I'd buy another Pioneer. I just got my unit back and it is a refurbished unit. I wouldn't have minded if the unit was ever right but it was screwed up since it was installed. I told the vendor I bought if from but have not heard anything back from him. I could see if I had it for a couple of months and it was operating properly and then just broke but paying full price for a refurbished unit is crap!

Is this normal for them to do this?

Anyhow, tomorrow I'll get it put back in and see what happens. If it still doesn't work I'm going to demand a brand new one or demand my money back. P