AVIC411.com

Annoying navigation errors on the D3

My D3 cannot pick a reasonable route to get me home if I'm on the west side of a nearby freeway. I think the problem is that the D3 thinks I can't make a right turn onto the road that crosses over the freeway. I guess there's no way to fix that. Is there a place to send in navigation error fixes?

I'm trying to determine how confident I should be of the routes my D3 builds so I'm still just using it to get me home from various places where I already know the possible routes. I found an error that I just can't explain. The correct route would have been to go straight south on a freeway and exit after about 15 km. Instead, the route the D3 built eventually took the correct exit but also took a little side trip at 10 km. It went straight south 10 km, exited the freeway, went due west for one km, did a uturn, came back and entered onto the SAME FREEWAY and continued south again. WTF? I can't imagine the algorithm that would create that and I think I would call it broken.

Yeah, I've been randomly trying out my nav here in this area and this thing gives me the worse directions. I also think that some of my POI are wrong. I can't figure out why that would be considering my disc is for 2007. I set it to take me to the local subway that I know is only about 5 miles away. For some reason, it won't show me the address of the 2 that it has available. Well one is in another town and I know I'm not going that far. The other is located in a vacant lot. I was like, ok, I don't have anything to do today, so I'll humor myself by following this thing. Sure enough, it took me to a junkyard/industrial area and told me that the subway was on my right.

I also set it to take me to an IHOP which isn't to far from my house. The directions were pretty accurate for the most part. Up until it told me that my destination was on the right side of the street when IHOP is clearly located on the left side. I was planning on using this thing for a trip to a friends house, but I'm pretty weary of it now. I'll give it a few more chances and to see what happens. I guess I better stick with good old stalker quest... er I mean map quest.

I'm trying to determine how confident I should be of the routes my D3 builds so I'm still just using it to get me home from various places where I already know the possible routes. I found an error that I just can't explain. The correct route would have been to go straight south on a freeway and exit after about 15 km. Instead, the route the D3 built eventually took the correct exit but also took a little side trip at 10 km. It went straight south 10 km, exited the freeway, went due west for one km, did a uturn, came back and entered onto the SAME FREEWAY and continued south again. WTF? I can't imagine the algorithm that would create that and I think I would call it broken.

I just posted in another thread that mine does the same thing going to my mother's. It has me turn off of her road, drive a mile, make a u turn, and come back to the same exact intersection. We need to all start emailing Pioneer about this POS so they can get a firmware update together for the 2008 discs. As it is now it's pretty much useless.

Emailing Pioneer isn't going to do any good, they have always used the same bad routing algorithm. Make sure and use the teleatlas link to make sure they have it correct though, or you have no hope.

I just posted in another thread that mine does the same thing going to my mother's. It has me turn off of her road, drive a mile, make a u turn, and come back to the same exact intersection. We need to all start emailing Pioneer about this POS so they can get a firmware update together for the 2008 discs. As it is now it's pretty much useless.

What for? A company that buys the maps from someone else isn't going to care about your moms house

It has nothing to do with my mom's house, obviously, since other people are experiencing the same issue in completely different parts of the country. I don't expect them to care about my one little problem, but if enough people report the same problem, they might.