AVIC411.com

Acceleration Noise (rehashed)

Okay, so I posted this thread a while ago:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... celeration

and I thought I had the problem solved. However, when I added a subwoofer to my trunk, the extra power draw from the amp made the alternator noise more audible through the front left speakers (or I started getting picky with the noise). Today, when I installed the I-200 Ipod connector (which works) I grounded both the AVIC ground and what I think is the amp ground to the negative battery terminal directly. The sound is worse now. This is installed in a 2001 Lexus IS300, and it was self installed, following a detailed walkthrough made by a forum friend.

I used the Metra Toyota Interface (TYTO01) and followed these instructions:

The actual AVIC install: http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230

This thread shows how to make the TYTO01 work correctly with a 2001 (they changed wiring in 2002+ models I hear) : http://my.is/forums/f103/2001-metra-tyto-01-harness-how-338386/

I don't really know what I was doing through this install.. I only know a little bit about this kind of stuff. I do know that the two wires I grounded to the negative battery terminal were in this part of the instructions (the first link given, to see pictures):

"A. The power connector bundle.

-Connect the RED wire from the 12 pin harness of the Metra to the RED wire labeled ACC on the unit.

-Connect the YELLOW wire from the Metra to the YELLOW wire labeled +BATTERY on the unit.

-Connect the BLACK wire from the Metra to the BLACK wire labeled GROUND on the unit. "

I realize this is a really long thread post, sorry for that, I'm just trying to be thorough. I hope the solution is easy! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-Andrew

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6657&highlight=ipod+noise

That might help as far as the noise that started when you hooked up the ipod.

For whatever noise is left, I'd suggest grounding the RCA cables, and instead of grounding the D3 and amp at the battery, find a point halfway between the amp and D3 and ground them both there. Because the shorter your ground wires are the better.

Hey hifi, thanks for the response.

I don't have any trouble with the ipod itself, that all works fine. Thanks for the link though, I'll keep that in mind in case something gets funky.

The two wires I grounded to the battery are these:

IMG_0645copy.jpg

The two with the arrow pointing that says "Wire tap" although mine aren't set up like that. They both go to a larger gauged wire that goes to the negative battery terminal. Howcome the problem got worse when I did that, opposed to when they were just grounded to the frame?

How would I go about grounding the RCAs?

Okay, so I posted this thread a while ago:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... celeration

and I thought I had the problem solved. However, when I added a subwoofer to my trunk, the extra power draw from the amp made the alternator noise more audible through the front left speakers (or I started getting picky with the noise). Today, when I installed the I-200 Ipod connector (which works) I grounded both the AVIC ground and what I think is the amp ground to the negative battery terminal directly. The sound is worse now. This is installed in a 2001 Lexus IS300, and it was self installed, following a detailed walkthrough made by a forum friend.

I used the Metra Toyota Interface (TYTO01) and followed these instructions:

The actual AVIC install: http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230

This thread shows how to make the TYTO01 work correctly with a 2001 (they changed wiring in 2002+ models I hear) : http://my.is/forums/f103/2001-metra-tyto-01-harness-how-338386/

I don't really know what I was doing through this install.. I only know a little bit about this kind of stuff. I do know that the two wires I grounded to the negative battery terminal were in this part of the instructions (the first link given, to see pictures):

"A. The power connector bundle.

-Connect the RED wire from the 12 pin harness of the Metra to the RED wire labeled ACC on the unit.

-Connect the YELLOW wire from the Metra to the YELLOW wire labeled +BATTERY on the unit.

-Connect the BLACK wire from the Metra to the BLACK wire labeled GROUND on the unit. "

I realize this is a really long thread post, sorry for that, I'm just trying to be thorough. I hope the solution is easy! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-Andrew

if i am correct in saying, there is a factory amp in the vehicle, if so you are better of doing a rewire of the car and totally bypassing the amp. go to the output of the amp, find each speaker and run new wires to they're respective speaker. the factory amp is making that noise.

• 1 month later...

I would have to disagree. I too have a 2001 lexus is300 and have never ever had a problem with static til I owned a pioneer nav. I say I disagree cuz I took my amp out and radio and sold them. So now I have to deal with this d3 deciding when it wants to make noise. I have checked double checked and triple checked all the wires and still have noise. Ive even moved the grounds all my grounds including the amp ground are maybe a foot long. What I did was ground the rca to the bracket on the radio. It got rid of most of the noise but occasionally when the harness from the radio (i think) moves ull get the same noise. When I feel like ripping my car apart, Im gonna just run all my speakers without an amp cuz Im tired of the supercharger I get from having Pioneer Crap in my car. Hope this helps

Ive even moved the grounds all my grounds including the amp ground are maybe a foot long. What I did was ground the rca to the bracket on the radio. It got rid of most of the noise but occasionally when the harness from the radio (i think) moves

if it's that bad, I would run a ground from the car's battery, (clean the terminals) and from the star ground where the cars' ground lead goes to the chassis (usually several ground wires there)

(maybe hit them with a wire brush or dremel to clean them up)

and run a ground wire from the battery ground, to the harness ground, and up to the D3 Chassis.

and onward to the amplifiers.

this should put all the components at the same ground level.

it doesn't need to be a HUGE amperage carrying wire, just enough to drain any static.

a shorter Power/Ground lead is always best, but in some uni-body cars, all the body parts may not be equally grounded, so you need to tie all your ground points together to drain any minute voltage/static.

if that doesn't work, ground the outer sheild (wrap the connector to test) of the RCA's.

if that doesn't work, break the ground loop (via the outer RCA shield) between the head unit & the amp by finding a way to have just the center conductors touching (make some RCA butt connectors yourself from RadioShack, and don't attach outer shield wires)

if it still Hums, live with it, or junk it.

What he said

if that doesn't work, ground the outer sheild (wrap the connector to test) of the RCA's.

if that doesn't work, break the ground loop (via the outer RCA shield) between the head unit & the amp by finding a way to have just the center conductors touching (make some RCA butt connectors yourself from RadioShack, and don't attach outer shield wires)

if it still Hums, live with it, or junk it.