AVIC411.com

Optical Output on the Z1

Well, I can tell you that there certainly isn't a toslink out on the back of the unit, and no such adapter box is included, so it would seem that the connection from the headunit (if there is one, I'm starting to question that) would have to be Coax.
Who happens to have a pic of a Z1 that can post a pic of the back ;-)

I'm pretty sure there is a digital out.
Just not sure if it's a mini-toslink or per the diagram PDF, it's a digital coax and the *box* that comes with the DEW-8000 processor is a coax-optica convertor box.

Better yet, who has a DEQ-P8000 and the whole set to post a pic of !l
There is indeed an optical connection on the back of the Z1. It's the closest to the fan (from the center) and is used by the 5.1 processor. I can't tell you what type of connection it is by the picture...but it sure looks like a TOS link on the picture of the 5.1 processor....
I forgot the pic I saw but I cold have sworn it looked like a mini-toslink on it.

But then again, based on the PDF's, with the DEQ processor, the layout looks more like a digital coax going into a coax spdif / toslink convertor box and from there, the usual *japanese* 4 pin digital cable.

I may be very wrong....just gotta get my hands/eyes on a Z1 to see and play.
It's basically a mini plug like you would use on a set of ear phones. The manual then shows it going into a converter box that looks like it converts it to a Tos-link connection.

Funny I looked for this today. I was wondering if you could take this digital out and pipe it to an external D/A converter for better SQ or to Pioneers DEQ-9200 for EQ and Time alingment features. I found this site [url]http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20Audio/Car%20Audio%20Main.htm[/url] the other night explaining how to add a Tos-link connector to basically any head unit. I think using this optical out on our HU making the converter box would be a piece of cake with just using a DMM and a couple parts from Mouser or DigiKey.

Jay
[quote name="crease-guard"]It's basically a mini plug like you would use on a set of ear phones. The manual then shows it going into a converter box that looks like it converts it to a Tos-link connection.
Jay[/quote]

me wonders if the mini plug is just actually a coaxial SPDIF signal that then just gets converted into an optical SPDIF signal with the converter box from pioneer....
The digital output on the back of the Z1 looks to be about the size of a mini-stereo. Now there is a mini-TOS connector that is about that size but I didn't look into the hole on the back of the Z1 to see if it was optical.

What I would REALLY like is a TOS input so I could input something other than stereo. I'm sure there's some kind of adapter for $350, but I want the adapter built in to the unit.
The other thing I'd like to know is does this digital out carry all the audio signals coming out of the Z1 (i.e. AM/FM/mp3/cd/dvd etc..) or does it only carry those that go to the 5.1 decoder...i.e. those from DVD's?

Does anyone out there have the 5.1 decoder that can look at the plug in adapter that comes with it so we can get some more information?

Jay