AVIC411.com

AVIC-D1 MOVIE PLAYBACK BREAKTHROUGH

This is a mod to enable simple video playback on the avic-d1 through the use of an external hard drive player. It also can do mp3's and pictures. AVI, Divx, Mp4 are supported

*Items needed

-Hdd Player (type it in ebay) *pic of disassembled one on pg 2

-video harness for the avic-d1 if not included

-xm/sirius cigarette adapter or oem psp adapter or hdd player adapter (ebay)

-hard drive to put into to test the adapter (recommended)

-bypass ebrake and bypass on extra slot in connector (recommended)

*Steps

1.After doing to ebrake bypass and the connector bypass you have to take the power adapter that you have and cut it (for the tip)

2.Solder the tip into the cigarette adapter that you brought

3.Make sure a fuse is somewhere in your setup

4.You can possibly take the cigarette adapter apart to make to nicer looking but mine is hidden so i dont care

5.Run wire from you adapter to the avic-d1 harness and make sure to ground it

6.Run av wire be careful because the wire is cheap!

7.Test and enjoy.

*if the screen looks green and copied on two sides then all you do is press the vga button which switches it to rca mode

*hard drive is the fastest for videos,mp3's, pictures, etc because the sd card is slow

RESULTS*

th.d7e43d778a.jpg

th.4d8ff220db.jpg

th.ee1827bac3.jpg

th.717bf52abc.jpg

th.e751103b92.jpg

th.bc871730ab.jpg

th.3d68656b19.jpg

*edited to make more instructional

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i actually was going to put a computer in my passat too

cause i have an olpc dev board and it is really small

but the problem was that it only had vga out and in order to get it to go to rca

i had to buy a special converter box

so that idea got trashed

hopefully this hdd player will work cause i really want that 2girls1cup in my car...hahahah jp

ew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol nasty m-fer lol.. k well im a bit of a computer geek and u dont need a special converter box, u need an RCA adapter that goes from vga to svid and the drivers for it. u can find them for like 10 bucks on ebay. ur main concern when putting a pc in the car is first of all the hard drive has to be easilly removable, if it freezes and u start it its gona crack the hard drive and ur gona ruin it. secondly it needs to be VERY well secured, id suggest a peice of styrofoam surrounding it for bumps and all. also u need to be careful for humidity.

what im doing is taking a regular desktop motherboard and putting it in an amp box so thats made for the humidity to stay out. all this in the trunk with extensions to the front for everything including booting from an external hard drive which will be in the glove compartment so i can take out. if you need any help just pm me, ill be glad to give u some tips

killen em that sounds cool as all hell kingkong. make a thread of ur own with progress n problems n such. i wanna make a pc setup for an avalanche. plenty of room in bed but plenty of humidity too. what about a laptop harddrive? arent they better at handleing impact/ vibration?

sry to jack the thread but im quite interested in pc's in cars.

hey king kong thanks for the advice

but i gave up on putting a computer in because i had a little form linux computer and i couldnt find any drivers for it

and i did buy that cable on ebay and it didnt work

o well

this hdd player will work and thanks to your advice i will make it easily removable because it is pretty cold here in ny especially in the morning like 20 F right now

plus a full form factor computer would take up too much space in my passat and im too lazy to run cables from the trunk so thats why i want something simple in the glovebox

btw got some custom backgrounds on my avic-d1 thanks to this forum!

killen em that sounds cool as all hell kingkong. make a thread of ur own with progress n problems n such. i wanna make a pc setup for an avalanche. plenty of room in bed but plenty of humidity too. what about a laptop harddrive? arent they better at handleing impact/ vibration?

sry to jack the thread but im quite interested in pc's in cars.

haha ya im sory for the thread jacking too. ill start my own when i start the progress (after xmas i have too much work for a project like that right now)

i forgot to mention the harddrive im gona use is gona be a laptop portable one.

they have computers made for cars taht are liek shock proof and humidity proof but ur lookin at about 3000 AT LEAST for a crappy one. im goin for the biggest bang for my buck i figure the most expensive part is the d3 lol .. ur best bet is getting a whole laptop mother board and have the harddrive extended, but im not doing that cuz their a lil more pricey than a desktop motherboard. like i said as long as u secure everything reallly well u should be good with the desktop motherboard

• 4 weeks later...

anybody ordered that hdd drive yet??

i want to know the picture quality? also, does it comes with a remote, how do you choose which movie you want to watch?

Right now, i'm using an external dvd player, small one, and the image sux, alot of static due to the cigarette light plug, it is taking all the static noise from my car alternator.