AVIC411.com

D3 XM sound quality

Is anyone else not impressed with sound quality of XM? Is this just an XM thing or related to my D3? I guess the best way to describe it is muted? We have a local radio station that broadcast some of the same shows as XM, and the radio broadcasts are alot clearer. I mentioned this to my wife and she thinks it sounds fine in her TL, I guess I need to see how the sound in her car.

XM isn't going to be perfect sound quality, neither is sirius. They are a compressed audio signal. The XM rep said they changed the type of compression they use in the beginning of sept which did increase the sound quality. I guess satellite radio is there for content not quality. I wish it was better also.

I got XM radio right when it came out and had it for two or three years, and I have to say the sound quality was excellent compared to FM radio, about halfway between the sound quality of FM radio and a CD. I don't see how or why the sound quality would go down instead of up as the technology advanced.

Mine sounds like crap too. I thought maybe I just had a bad tuner, but after replacing it with a brand new unit, the sound is the same. It sounds to me like at some point in the compression process, the gain level is too high, which leads to clipping/breaking, but then by the time it's broadcast (or maybe just the data line from the tuner to head) the gain is dropped far below normal level.

You can equalize the volume output with the SLA setting, but it definitely doesn't increase the quality. Some stations are better than others. Unfortunately my favorite (74 I think it is) happens to be one of the worst.