AVIC411.com

Making backgrounds for D3

the 100mb is not necessary on the D3

It says it right in the manual that there is a minimum disk size you have to have for it to work. I can't remember what that magic number is, but I'm willing to guess the manual isn't lying.

IMO there's no point in making the images any resolution higher than the screen itself, as it's just going to compress them to fit. In fact, I've experimented with it, and creating the images at the native resolution of the screen (500X240) gave me the best image quality, because when the D3 shrank the backgrounds I made at double the resolution, it seemed to cause a bit of pixelation in the process.

I guess the level of degradation from compressing would also have a lot to do with what exactly is in the picture, as well. But there's also the difference between storing a 60kb image and storing a 250kb image in the internal memory, leaving more room for storing routes, destinations, POI's and the like... it's not really that much of a difference, though.