AVIC411.com

How important is the VSS wire

Chrysler product?

A lot of cars but the VSS on the CAN bus...you need to be able to tap into that to access it. However, I would be surprised if you couldn't find it someplace. How about right at the sensor? Is that possible? I have to admit though...the adapter would be the way to go. Nice and clean.

Yes...I think it's important to have the VSS. If Pioneer was willing to spend the extra time and money to program it's use into the system, I would take advantage of that. Many here aren't using it, but I would.
I ran my truck for 6 weeks with no VSS wire and I can't say that since I found it I have found the accuracy better or anything. I would say it's not that important. Once I found it I did rip out the Z1 (again) and hook it up. I have run another 6 weeks with it (or so). I'm glad I found it, but in general use, I would bet that if you never looked at the 3d calibration screen to see "simple hybrid" or "3d hybrid" you wouldn't know it was hooked up or not.
[quote name="Anonymous"]without it i don't think that 3d hybrid mode will ever be avail. and calibrated.. I could be wrong, but i think so[/quote]Yes it does, everything works perfectly without the VSS wire. The VSS wire is just for accuracy when you lose satellites, i.e. tunnels, overhanging trees, big cities, etc. I say if you live in an area where you frequently lose satellites then it would help, but otherwise it’s not necessary. I’ve had the d1for almost a year with no VSS and now going on 2 months with no VSS on the Z1... no problems at all.
[quote name="tjdehya"] [quote name="Anonymous"]without it i don't think that 3d hybrid mode will ever be avail. and calibrated.. I could be wrong, but i think so[/quote]Yes it does, everything works perfectly without the VSS wire. [/quote]

Well technically "anonymous" is right, without the VSS you will not get the Z1 into 3d hybrid mode. Best the 3d calibration will get to is "simple hybrid" or something like that. It will never "calibrate" fully without the vss wire.

But, tjdehya, you are also right, in real life, I would bet most people would never know if the VSS wire was hooked up or not with general use.

Someone said that Pioneer told them you won't have as many POI's on your map with out the VSS wire. I don't think that the person from pioneer was taking their meds that day. I don't believe that's the case. I think the unit works so well without the VSS wire, most people wouldn't know if it wasn't hooked up.
I cant speak for the Z1 because I just started installing mine today. however I had an AVIC 9 i think (the first generation pioneer navi systems) that was in my last truck and when the least was up transfered into my new car.

When it was in my lease (2000 Dodge durango) the VSS wire was easy to tap into so I did, in the Infiniti I've yet to find the wire so it was never connected. Only differences I found were that WITH the vss connected it would give me about another second or so warning that an exit was coming up when on the highway doing 70 or so and the vehicle position indicator would track its way through the holland and lincoln tunnels as oposed to stopping dead in its tracks when you enter without it and taking a few seconds to get a location fix when you come out the other side.

that being said, I am trying to find out how to get to the wire and tap into the VSS for my Z1 install.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="tjdehya"] [quote name="Anonymous"]without it i don't think that 3d hybrid mode will ever be avail. and calibrated.. I could be wrong, but i think so[/quote]Yes it does, everything works perfectly without the VSS wire. [/quote]

Well technically "anonymous" is right, without the VSS you will not get the Z1 into 3d hybrid mode. Best the 3d calibration will get to is "simple hybrid" or something like that. It will never "calibrate" fully without the vss wire. [/quote]Oh so the one i am seeing now is just the simple one, does the other one look much cooler.... i guess i will go looking for the VSS wire then.... you know i have to have the cool stuff :D