AVIC411.com

XM Artist and Song Title being cut off.

I've had my D3 installed less than a week and I LOVE it. The iPod connector and Bluetooth rule. I just have one severe annoyance with the XM module.

As the subject mentions, if the Artist and/or Song Title are "too long", they are being cut off, even though there appears to be plenty of room to display the remaining characters.

I have a $150 PIONEER Inno that handles this better than my $1,000 D3. It appears that initially, the Inno gets the "cut off" Artist and Song Title information. Then, a couple of seconds later it receives the full information. It even scrolls it a couple of times so that it can be seen before it fits to the size of the screen.

THE DEVICES ARE MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY!!! Why does this have to happen? Is there any way to correct this?

I am assuming I'll just have to live with it since I have seen no mention of firmware updates, etc. for this unit.

Signed,

Disappointed XM Listener

Id there any option in the XM settings that turns title scrolling on and off?

No setting that I can find.

The trouble really isn't with scrolling. The trouble is that the whole artist or song title isn't being retrieved. There have been a few song titles that I noticed were missing one character at the end even though there is plenty of room to display that one character. My Inno seems to make another attempt to retrieve the longer artist/song title after the short one is retrieved. Not sure how the Inno does it, just my observation.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Although there is no scrolling for the XM. The Sirius interface (although it is horrible) does allow you to scroll.

Come on... They (Pioneer) makes the XM unit, could they at least allow the scrolling?

:x

My point exactly. I went from having a $150 Inno in my car to having the $1,000 D3 and I have LOST features. Doesn't anyone else find that unacceptable?

:-(

Although there is no scrolling for the XM. The Sirius interface (although it is horrible) does allow you to scroll.

Come on... They (Pioneer) makes the XM unit, could they at least allow the scrolling?

:x

My point exactly. I went from having a $150 Inno in my car to having the $1,000 D3 and I have LOST features. Doesn't anyone else find that unacceptable?

:-(

No, you haven't lost features. You've just traded the scrolling feature on your INNO for AM/FM radio, GPS Navigation, a CD/DVD player, ipod controller, bluetooth compatibility, rear-view camera features, as well as a fully functional head unit/amp. A unit that is DEDICATED to playing XM radio is always going to be better than a unit like the D3, because things had to be foregone to keep the cost of the unit at almost half the price of the competition.

The inno isn't even made by Pioneer, it just has the name on it. Ever walk through Best Buy and notice that Pioneer has the Inno, Samsung has the EXACT same think in a silver coat, and there was a third model EXACTLY like the other two? XM has them made and has a real brand name put on them so people don't think its made by a satellite radio company. XM probably just uses a better chipset in the Inno than Pioneer does in their XM tuners that allows the scrolling

• 4 weeks later...

The chipset in the Inno is a different series than the one in the IP bus tuners, and therefore it supports the XM Extended Titles.

Remember, when XM launched, everything was sixteen characters. Extended titles didn't come until devices supported them, such as the MyFi, Tao, and Airware.

Short answer: The system is functioning properly.

My D3 will be here tomorrow. I ordered the XM module for it, even though I already have the Sirius unit from my previous HU. I got XM because I heard that the Sirius unit can only display one attribute at a time (artist, or title, or station name, etc).

So now I'm to understand that the XM unit will display multiple lines of information on the D3, but is still limited to the archaic XM 16-character display of 5 years ago?

Yep, multiple lines of text, but it will not scroll

My D3 will be here tomorrow. I ordered the XM module for it, even though I already have the Sirius unit from my previous HU. I got XM because I heard that the Sirius unit can only display one attribute at a time (artist, or title, or station name, etc).

So now I'm to understand that the XM unit will display multiple lines of information on the D3, but is still limited to the archaic XM 16-character display of 5 years ago?