AVIC411.com

Does it play over the D3 correctly? Does the ipod itself freeze when you hook it up to the D3? Because it's supposed to do that. And if the D3 freezes, try turning off the D3's charge feature and see if it stops. Does the ipod charge when hooked up to your computer?

Are you 100% sure the ipod isn't charging? How are you sure?

In short: Needs more info.

Sorry, have the new 4 gig video ipod nano and I have tried to hook the ipod up with the charge off. I realize the ipod is supposed to frezze once hooked to the D3 but it doesnt display the Pioneer logo and I am positive it is not charging because it will go dead while listening. It does charge when hooked to my computer. Also I still can control the ipod from the D3.

If you can control it properly from the D3, and the ipod will charge when hooked up to a computer, and the charge setting on the D3 is set to on, but the ipod doesn't charge, I can only really see the ipod cable as being the problem...

My Nano did the same thing a few days ago. I let it charge completely from the computer, and have not had a problem since.

Anothor tip I have heard of- Don't just let the Ipod stay plugged in all the time when you are not using it. I have heard it will overheat the battery and diminish it's lifespan.

My Nano did the same thing a few days ago. I let it charge completely from the computer, and have not had a problem since.

Anothor tip I have heard of- Don't just let the Ipod stay plugged in all the time when you are not using it. I have heard it will overheat the battery and diminish it's lifespan.

No... That's not even possible, really. The ipod only charges when the D3 is powered on.When the ipod is plugged in and the car is off, the ipod is off and not charging. So in essence it IS unplugged. There's nothing to worry about there. Mine's been in my glove box plugged in for over two months straight with no problems at all.

I guess it is a problem with the ipod, plugged in a friends older ipod and it charges fine. I dont think it would be the cable because it was working fine a couple weeks ago. Thinking about trashing the ipod and going with the zune with the a/v kit. I realize I will have to manually control the zune but it seems like a lot less hassle. I want something that is reliable.

No... That's not even possible, really. The ipod only charges when the D3 is powered on.When the ipod is plugged in and the car is off, the ipod is off and not charging. So in essence it IS unplugged. There's nothing to worry about there...

No... "Installermarc" is correct. It's a pretty well established fact that rechargeable batteries *of all types* wear out faster the more frequently they're charged. Even though "HiFiSi" is correct in saying that our pioneer iPod adaptors only charge when the car is on [and the iPod stops charging when its battery is full] there's more to it than that.

What you don't realize is that iPods aren't meant to be used "on the charger" all the time; they're meant to be portable, running down the battery over time, then charged back up. If the iPod is left plugged in to your head-unit all the time and/or not used outside of the car, you're essentially charging it continuously as it's used to play back music. In the short term this isn't necessarily bad, but if left like this for a couple months, it can SEVERLY decrease the lifespan of the battery.

Mine's been in my glove box plugged in for over two months straight with no problems at all.

That's exactly what I did, for even longer. And then when I took it out to use it portable-like, the battery which used to last at least 6 hours ran for about 1. I spoke to apple about this and they more or less confirmed my findings by recommending I completely discharge the battery once or twice a month. They, at the time, pointed me to a page on their site where I could download a reminder to sync to the iPod, reminding me to run it all the way down from time to time, however I can't seem to find it on their site anymore.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who believe what they believe and want to protect those beliefs and how they feel comfortable using their iPod -- feel free to tear this apart. But for everyone with an open mind, trust me, take the iPod off once in a while and just let it play over night to run down the battery. It doesn't cost you anything, and it will save your ipod.

• 1 year later...

hi,

okay, my wifes ipod nano video (4th gen i think) doesnt charge with the D3, ? i just read here that you can go into the d3 ipod menu and turn on the charging feature? where is that?

what menu steps do you do to get to that? i have never seen that before?? Im guessing thats why are 2nd newly purchased D3 doesnt charge her ipod like current D3 does??

I was stumped after installing it, as to why it wasnt charging her ipod??? now im guessing the "charging" feature isnt on?? where is it at?

Thanks,

-J

• 2 months later...