AVIC411.com

Hooking up illum. wire could burn factory wiring?!

Hello everyone. I've had my AVIC-D3 installed in my 2006 Chevy Impala for quite some time now. I've always noticed how the screen is so darn bright at night time because the shop that installed the system didn't hook up the illumination wire. So I brought the vehicle back there to get it hooked up and they're telling me that hooking up the illumination wire could burn the factory wiring and I would need to sign a waiver for them to hook it up so they aren't at fault. Is this true?

I do have the GMOS-LAN-01 and isn't the illumination wire supplied right at that harness? Can't they just connect the AVIC-D3 illumination wire to that? I am totally confused. Please help. Thanks!

Matt

In theory - yes. If the car wiring is sized only for the load at factory then a sizeable additional load could potentially melt the wire. Pretty unlikely though and I'm sure many here do the same with a similar vehicle without any problems. Ask them why the illumination wire would be different from any other connection to the factory harness.

the shop is full of shit, and they dont know what they're doing

I was thinking the exact same thing! What the hell are these guys smoking?! They told me I either need to sign a waiver or have Pioneer give the OK that they would cover it if it burned out my factory wiring. :roll:

Matt

I was thinking the exact same thing! What the hell are these guys smoking?! They told me I either need to sign a waiver or have Pioneer give the OK that they would cover it if it burned out my factory wiring. :roll:

Matt

Just go into the initial setup menu and set the illumination to auto. The unit has a light sensor on it that detects light so the unit is only fully bright during the day and get's dimmer as it get's darker out. It's better, because if you drive with your lights on during the day (like when it's raining), your screen won't be dim like it would be with the ill wire connected.

Matt

Just go into the initial setup menu and set the illumination to auto. The unit has a light sensor on it that detects light so the unit is only fully bright during the day and get's dimmer as it get's darker out.

How do I get to the initial setup menu on the AVIC-D3?

Matt

Matt

Just go into the initial setup menu and set the illumination to auto. The unit has a light sensor on it that detects light so the unit is only fully bright during the day and get's dimmer as it get's darker out.

How do I get to the initial setup menu on the AVIC-D3?

Matt

I know on the D2, you turn the Source to off, and push the joystick in. So whatever button you use to adjust the EQ on the D3, that is what you will push, but after you turn the source off.

Oh OK. I am going to go see if I can find that. Are you sure the D3 has the same built in sensor?

Matt

Not sure, but if there is an auto option, then it has to. I would hope they woulnd't have removed this feature.

Yeah, I just went thru all the menus on the AVIC-D3 and could not find an auto option. Bummer... :(

Matt

Oh OK. I am going to go see if I can find that. Are you sure the D3 has the same built in sensor?

Matt

Not sure, but if there is an auto option, then it has to. I would hope they woulnd't have removed this feature.

Yeah, I just went thru all the menus on the AVIC-D3 and could not find an auto option. Bummer... :(

Matt

Sucks! I just went through the owners manual, and it seems it has no auto! You can manually adjust the dimmer settings in the picture adjust menu though.

I hooked up the orange wire and mine still doesnt dim at night or change the nav background black when its dark and my lights are on... And when I go into the nav menu and select nighttime or daytime it doesnt change anything. Any ideas? -not trying to threadjack or anything I just was hoping it was something simple