AVIC411.com

day / night mode toggle switch

Because I drive with my headlights on during the day, my screen is always in night mode. Putting in a toggle switch and wiring it to the illumination wire of the AVIC would allow me to toggle between day/night mode on the D3 while leaving my headlights on all the time, correct?

Does anyone know of any pitfalls to doing this?

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...
uhh why wouldnt you just go into the settings and change it to day time when its at night?
I think you have that backwards. "Night mode" makes the screen darker. So turning the unit to day mode at night would yield a damn bright display at night.

I haven't had a ton of play time with the D3, but I've installed probably 60 of them. If it DOES have a day/night switching feature in the software, that would be easier IMO. If it doesn't......then use a switch. The unit looks for +12V on the illumination wire to switch into night mode. Your daytime running lights keep +12V on this wire at all times. A simple toggle switch will break the connection preventing +12V from reaching the D3. Thereby thinking you turned off your headlights. Done and done.

Actually, the DRL's don't have any affect on the interior illumination signal that the unit is seeking. DRL's are headlights only on almost all vehicles. The signal for interior lighting comes from the headlight switch or the auto lamp control on most modern vehicles. The stock illumination wire taps into either of those.

The idea is right, though.

And yes, there is an option in the D3 to switch to daytime/nighttime all the time...but a toggle switch would be easier to throw by feel if you needed to do so while driving.

Actually, the DRL's don't have any affect on the interior illumination signal that the unit is seeking. DRL's are headlights only on almost all vehicles. The signal for interior lighting comes from the headlight switch or the auto lamp control on most modern vehicles. The stock illumination wire taps into either of those.
This is not the case with every car. Several installs I have done, we have to back the car out of the bay so the headlights will turn off and the D3 will switch into day mode.

Yeah, that's b/c they've got auto lamp control and it's sensing nighttime in the bay, so it turns the headlights ON as well as dimming the interior lighting. Get it out in the sunlight and the headlights turn off and the screen will return to standard brightness.

Anyway, neither here nor there, the switch would be a quick-fix for someone that needs their headlights on during the day.

I believe that if you change the nav setting to daytime, it leaves it in daytime mode all the time. In nighttime mode, it switches (?)

If the dimming is a problem, just cut the illum. (orange/white) wire and isolate the ends. It will never dim unless you switch the setting manually.

Yeah, the toggle switch id the best way, I'd say. And since it'd be used so infrequently, I'd mount the switch up under the dash or something so it's out of sight.

Would the switch be to a ground or open condition?

Open. One side of the switch = illumination lead from D3..... the other side = +12V ignition. You flip the switch and it puts +12V on the illumination wire. It's not rocket science here people....