AVIC411.com

Two D3 questions - Battery Death, and no speaker amp.

I've have an Avic-D3 in my car for about 8 months in my brand new Vue - and since Ive had it in, my battery will die ifI dont start the car for more than a day or two. Ive tested the install and all is good - the radio turns off, I dont see a huge draw on the battery (amp check) but it kills my battery. I have the D3 on an amp since I bought it knowing the speaker hookups didnt work (seems the internal amp is dead) but the preamps work great. I also have the PAC add on to retain steering wheel control.

So, two questions - any idea on the battery? Could it be the PAC? or a bad radio?

Ayone have an idea to fix the D3 amp issue? I could then get rid of the amp and take that out of the loop. (The amp is turning off as well, tested with voltmeter).

Thanks!

I should have mentioned more of the history :

(I had the car at the dealer last week with the D3 in and they saw nothing on all diag tests - alternator/battery/charging all test good)

I thought it was bad battery, so I replaced it and had the car off all Xmas week and it started right up (5 days without a start). Now, about 1 1/2 months later Im back to the 1 or 2 day no starting....

When I went on vacation in December I pulled the fuses for the radio/acc and made sure nothing powered - came back after 6 days and car wouldnt start (I must admit this was odd).

Last week I pulled my D3 and mu car sat Thurs from 5pm to Sunday night at 7pm and started right up (even in 4 degree weather with a -15 wind chill).

I may put the D3 back in to see if the same thing happens again.... Just as, yet another test.

No a d3 will not kill a battery in 4 days. You have an issue somewhere in the vehicle it may or may not have anything to do with the avic. You don't happen to have an aftermarket overhead installed in the vehicle do you?

Just as an fyi most dealer mechanics I've dealt with don't know the right way to do a current draw check. Might want to consider talking to someone at an audio shop about having one done.

I thought that a D3 killing a battery like that was odd.... Ok, so I have to have an amp since my D3's speaker output is messed - So anyone have that URL for the place that will repair it?

I know you can go Speaker -> RCA, is there a device that goes RCA -> Speaker wires? My Vue has the advanced audio, so I have the AMP in the card that came stock that should power without an issue.

Ill also pull the PAC audio - that has a wire that goes to Accessory, which concerned me - Could that be drawing power causing the dead battery?

Thanks for the input!

Are you sure the parasitic drain is not coming from the stock amp? I saw that

once in a 98 maxima when the factory radio was re installed after the installers chopped up the wire harness to put in an after market radio.

see if you can get a volt meter on that stock amp power terminal with the car

and the D3 turned off see if there is current draw after that unplug the d3 and

check it again. You should be able to get the tip of the voltmeter probe into the holes on the stock amp's wiring harness then ground the negative probe.

11 years as a car audio pro and if there is a battery issue do a current draw test.I always change factory batteris out its a wise thing to..hottwhyrd a brand name does tell how good a battery is goin to be.Reserch those names u could learn something..

NOT TRUE AT ALL. I've seen, on more that one occasion, Optima batteries (which people swear on their momma's soul are some kind of super battery which is gonna last a lifetime and always have a charge) go bad within months of installation. Then I've seen no-name batteries go for 5 years plus without incident. Shelling out more money for a high-end battery is not worth it. Especially since a battery that costs half as much could possibly last much, much longer. And even if it doesn't, it's no big deal to replace it, because you didn't pay a lot for it.