AVIC411.com

Hello, has anyone seen the lastest news from the Apple website about the upcoming update expected to be out this June (2.0 version). According to the site, it will have numerous updates including what I think, the possibility to transfer all contact info. Does anyone else see this as, what us IPhone users, the ability to bring all contact info over to the Head units automatically?

Well this IS the internet, and we all know everyone LOVES to speculate even tho the shit wont be out for months. So go ahead and ask questions about something not one person here has inside knowledge of. And if they do, they are full of shit.

BTW wrong part of the forum.

Knowing Apple, it's going to be some bullshit proprietary protocol (I don't have anything against Apple, but the iPhone lockdown is crap) rather than a respected contact transfer protocol like one that would be built in to the Z1/2 already. They'll probably make something up and then make manufacturers conform to their new protocol because hey, it's the iPhone and everyone has to make consumers happy.

I just can't beleive how rude people are sometimes. I mean, it was just a question about our oppinions. Wish people would keep their rude comments to themselves.

As for the iPhone, it would be cool if it would allow us to send the contacts to the Z2. Its a pain in the butt to manually put each one in. So, lets just hope so.

• 1 month later...

The problem here isn't Apple, it's Pioneer. That they did not make use of the Object push profile to automatically load contacts from the phone and recent calls lists is pathetic.

It shouldn't be on the handset manufacturers to provide the functionality to send contacts via Bluetooth, it should be on the product integration manufacturers to build devices that take advantage of a protocol that was built into Bluetooth to automatically perform that function.

I think you have been given wrong information. Its Apples fault, not Pioneers. Why? Because Apple was too cheap to put OPP on the iphone. Look it up, it doesn't have it. Thats why its one of the few phones that Pioneer cannot pull the phonebook from

To give you an idea of how shitty a bluetooth stack the iphone really has, here is a list of have/have nots. Apple fucked everyone, just face it

SUPPORT:

Hands-Free Profile (HFP)

Headset Profile (HSP)

NO SUPPORT:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

Basic Imaging Profile (BIP)

Basic Printing Profile (BPP)

Cordless Telephony Profile (CTP)

Device ID Profile (DID)

Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN)

Fax Profile (FAX)

File Transfer Profile (FTP)

General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP)

Generic Access Profile (GAP)

Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)

Human Interface Device Profile (HID)

Intercom Profile (ICP)

Object Push Profile (OPP)

Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)

Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)

Serial Port Profile (SPP)

Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP)

SIM Access Profile (SAP,SIM)

Synchronisation Profile (synch)

Video Distribution Profile (vdp)

Wireless Application Protocol Bearer (WAPB)

The problem here isn't Apple, it's Pioneer. That they did not make use of the Object push profile to automatically load contacts from the phone and recent calls lists is pathetic.

It shouldn't be on the handset manufacturers to provide the functionality to send contacts via Bluetooth, it should be on the product integration manufacturers to build devices that take advantage of a protocol that was built into Bluetooth to automatically perform that function.

How is it possible that every other manufacturer can pull the full contact list from the iPhone then? Audi, BMW, Alpine, Kenwood, etc., they all work flawlessly?

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, I'm genuinely asking the question.

The new F-series will do it too. I think the problem is that Apple was their usual top-secret self and didn't give the car stereo companies the heads up a couple years ago when the N4/D3 were still in the development phase.

Since last years alpine and kenwoods would not do it, i can only assume all these manufacturers probably got the info from apple to make it work after the iphone actually came out, making it too late to get it into last years 07 products. But they have fixed it for the 08 ones at least

The new firmware for the iphone will have more to do with the ability to offer Microsoft exchange sync and finally be able to install third party apps via the appstore. I have not seen any talk on other settings features like OPP or much else like that so dont expect that and you wont be disappointed. Apple would not have even made this decision if it wasn't for the jailbreak hacker community. There are countless awesome apps available right now if you have your phone jailbrocken and this forced Apple to rethink their strategy. Come early june for those of you with just the basic Apple iphone firmware their will be a lot of exciting stuff with this update. Basically most of the stuff available now via jailbreak will be available through the appstore. Maybe OPP will be one of them but the focus will be on third party app compatibility.

The new F-series will do it too. I think the problem is that Apple was their usual top-secret self and didn't give the car stereo companies the heads up a couple years ago when the N4/D3 were still in the development phase.

Since last years alpine and kenwoods would not do it, i can only assume all these manufacturers probably got the info from apple to make it work after the iphone actually came out, making it too late to get it into last years 07 products. But they have fixed it for the 08 ones at least

Yeah, but hardware used in OEM solutions long before the iPhone was released are still able to pull it in.

I guess the reason I put the blame on Pioneer has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone at all. I'm just disappointed that an aftermarket company was beat out by OEM's on new technology in their top of the line product. There's no excuse for that. The whole sending of contacts should only have been a last resort if the BT1 wasn't able to automatically grab everything off the phone (regardless of the phone model).

• 3 weeks later...

For whomever thinks this compatibility thing is an Apple problem, let me be the first to point out that there's a TON of compatibility issues between the D3 and my BB8830, too. It seems pretty obvious to me that PIONEER is the company who's taking shortcuts. It's no surprise either, when you consider all of the shortcomings in the interface of the D3:

- no sorting of POI's by distance from current position

- no ZIP code entry

- maps that are YEARS out of date

- a wretched voice for the nav

- inconsistent route planning (i.e., different paths to/from two map points)

- poor route planning algorithms (i.e., zig-zag across city when there's a freeway ON THE MAP that's a straight shot)

- XM memo function that only allows removal of one song with removal of ALL

- no way to view back-up cam while driving ahead (like to see my trailer hitch/alignment)

- no split display capability

- no song/title info from xm while in map view

- no ipod search/filter by alpha entry

- SLOW scrolling of ipod lists (song, artist, etc.)

SHALL I CONTINUE? Pioneer could learn a thing or 60 from Apple when it comes to interface design and ease of operation. So before you blame Apple because the iphone (which is still officially in a 'version 1' iteration, I would remind you), consider for a moment that Pioneer has had a much longer time to figure their stuff out and has yet to do it (so says the guy who went through FOUR AVIC-9D units before Pioneer gave up trying to fix it and had the dealer buy it back).

- XM memo function that only allows removal of one song with removal of ALL

- no way to view back-up cam while driving ahead (like to see my trailer hitch/alignment)

You can select individual items for removal in the MEMO function without removing all and you can view the rear with the cam while in forward motion, if you are not able to then your camera is wired wrong.