AVIC411.com

GEXP10HD HD Radio module - my impressions

I installed the GEXP10HD into the Z2 last night. Here's my initial impressions.

The audio quality, once it finds the HD sub channel on an analog channel, is excellent. While I do not have XM on the Z2, I have it in another car through the factory (Acura) navigation/stereo headunit, and I would say the HD radio audio quality is better than XM (again, since I do not have XM on the Z2 it is not exactly apples-to-apples).

The display sucks, absolutely sucks. I don't know what the XM module displays on the Z2, but on my other car it tells all. With the HD module, the best you get is 8 tiny charactors, scrolling in a small window. To describe this as disappointing is an understatement. To make matters worse, you need to choose what is displayed in the scrolling window, call sign, artist or title.

The presets do not have any label like in the FM/AM source. There are numbers you can touch, but no label. Why I cannot explain.

I don't know what the XM module displays on the Z2, but I'd hoped the HD module would display station, artist, title in readable letters, like it does on my other car. Using only 2% of the screen is just plain rediculous.

If you are looking for better audio quality, the HD module will provide this. But don't expect title and artist info, that feature is basically worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

I hooked up a GEXP10HD to my Z2 last night, and I can confirm that the original AM/FM still works fine, but you have to split the antenna lead so it connects to both the AVIC and the GEXP10HD. Try finding an automotive antenna splitter though. :) I didn't look online, but I had no luck finding one locally so I built my own with an antenna lead extender I bought at Auto Zone and the extender that came with the GEXP10HD.

Why would I want to have both the original AM/FM interface and the one that comes with the GEXP10HD? Because gkurt is right...the new one SUCKS! As bad or worse than the Sirius inteface. (I have both XM and Sirius connected.) I got HD basically so I could check it out and see what it's like. It would be a huge bonus if the GEXP10HD overrode the built in AM/FM interface...but instead it will appear as either EXT1 or EXT2, depending on what else you have connected.

I found it difficult to hear any huge quality difference on the FM side...analog FM sounds pretty damn good on the Z2 as it is. Mainly I think I'll probably use it to listen to the HD sub channels. HD AM sounds pretty good from what I've heard so far...about the same as XM or Sirius; I can definitely hear the compression artifacts. It does drop back to analog once in awhile when something starts interfering with the signal, like going under bridges or driving near powerlines, and the analog signal on the GEXP10HD sounds quite a bit worse than the Z2's built in AM receiver.

Is it worth getting? In it's current form I'd say most people wouldn't think it's worth the hassle...hopefully by the time the AVIC-Z5 or the AVIC-Z6 comes to be it will be built in. :)

ok, this module sucks for it interface. How do you know when you are getting HD channels? How do you get it to go to the second part ie. 106.3-2?

When it pops into HD mode, it add "-HD" to the displayed station text. You can also hear when it transitions. To go the HD-2 station, wait for the main channel to pop into HD mode and push the right arrow ">" button on the screen. You can also save the HD-2 channels as presets.

You should not have to 'split' the antenna the hd box is what controls all of your am/fm/hd the hd only kicks in when available

Nope, you don't have to....but if you don't the internal AM/FM interface of the Z is rendered useless...in favor of the HD box's interface which is available from one of the 'EXT' keys, and which sucks and blows at the same time. :)

I prefer to have both working so I can only go to the HD when I feel like it. What would be nice is if the box were to somehow replace the internal interface with something as useful or better...but it doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...
I hooked up a GEXP10HD to my Z2 last night, and I can confirm that the original AM/FM still works fine, but you have to split the antenna lead so it connects to both the AVIC and the GEXP10HD. Try finding an automotive antenna splitter though. :) I didn't look online, but I had no luck finding one locally so I built my own with an antenna lead extender I bought at Auto Zone and the extender that came with the GEXP10HD.

Why would I want to have both the original AM/FM interface and the one that comes with the GEXP10HD? Because gkurt is right...the new one SUCKS! As bad or worse than the Sirius inteface. (I have both XM and Sirius connected.) I got HD basically so I could check it out and see what it's like. It would be a huge bonus if the GEXP10HD overrode the built in AM/FM interface...but instead it will appear as either EXT1 or EXT2, depending on what else you have connected.

I found it difficult to hear any huge quality difference on the FM side...analog FM sounds pretty damn good on the Z2 as it is. Mainly I think I'll probably use it to listen to the HD sub channels. HD AM sounds pretty good from what I've heard so far...about the same as XM or Sirius; I can definitely hear the compression artifacts. It does drop back to analog once in awhile when something starts interfering with the signal, like going under bridges or driving near powerlines, and the analog signal on the GEXP10HD sounds quite a bit worse than the Z2's built in AM receiver.

Is it worth getting? In it's current form I'd say most people wouldn't think it's worth the hassle...hopefully by the time the AVIC-Z5 or the AVIC-Z6 comes to be it will be built in. :)

When you split them up did you lose quality in reception? I am installing my hd tuner mainly cause my regular fm/am reception is crappy. I really don't know why its like that but hopefully by going hd it will fix my static problem.

Probably an installation error. Pioneer has had the best am/fm tuner for decades

When you split them up did you lose quality in reception? I am installing my hd tuner mainly cause my regular fm/am reception is crappy. I really don't know why its like that but hopefully by going hd it will fix my static problem.

I just installed one of these too.

There is also a list of 6 buttons called "function x", where x is 1 through 6.

If you hit the "function 1" button, it will toggle between three text displays. It will show the station, then press the "function 1", and it will display the artist. Press it again and it will display the song.

What is completely stupid is that only half of the screen is used for these buttons, and the other half of the screen is blank. There is plenty of room on the screen to display all three lines simultaneously. Instead, you have to hit a button, and you see a line scrolled with about 10 letters showing.

I can see the accident happening now. Someone gets into a car accident cuz they were trying to see the artist and song info and had to keep watching the screen because of the scrolling until they have seen the whole line before they hit the button again to see the song info.

Maybe a lawsuit will motivate Pioneer to change this when someone gets into an accident!

DON'T HIT THAT "FUNCTION 2" BUTTON! If you do, it will erase all of your presets and redo them with best station memory.

The sound produced is very good when it works. HD Radio only transmits with 1/100th the power of the FM station. I can only receive HD radio stations in the "city grade" antenna pattern. This is only for very close stations.

There are 6 fm stations I listen to via FM, and I only get two of them in HD.

The reception isn't very good.

I just installed one of these too.

There is also a list of 6 buttons called "function x", where x is 1 through 6.

If you hit the "function 1" button, it will toggle between three text displays. It will show the station, then press the "function 1", and it will display the artist. Press it again and it will display the song.

What is completely stupid is that only half of the screen is used for these buttons, and the other half of the screen is blank. There is plenty of room on the screen to display all three lines simultaneously. Instead, you have to hit a button, and you see a line scrolled with about 10 letters showing.

I can see the accident happening now. Someone gets into a car accident cuz they were trying to see the artist and song info and had to keep watching the screen because of the scrolling until they have seen the whole line before they hit the button again to see the song info.

Maybe a lawsuit will motivate Pioneer to change this when someone gets into an accident!

DON'T HIT THAT "FUNCTION 2" BUTTON! If you do, it will erase all of your presets and redo them with best station memory.

That's why we need keep hounding pioneer to change how the hd looks on the z series.

I tend to agree. Not because I think an $1800 deck should work better, but because Pioneer basically told you it wouldn't work!!!! EXTdevice=shitty. We all learned that with previous models. Unfortunately, you have to work with whats available until they fix it (which appears to be the F-series, but who knows until it shows up.)

You can hardly complain for a piece of hardawre that was not designed to work for your decks.