AVIC411.com

so after my navigation treating me well for about a month... all of a sudden today, it went crazy. i was walking to my car after i got off work. i started the car up and the navigation decided to put my location in a river. i was like wtf... and i tried resetting it both ways like 10 times. well, resetting it worked, only thing is it showed that i was in los angeles when i'm not. i'm in portland, OR. well, after awhile, it showed me in portland, but my location was off about a block. so after more resetting, it finally showed me in the exact location i was in. what went wrong? and how would i go about fixing it instead of resetting it like 10 times.

thanks.

Sometimes, I have noticed with my D3, it will get confused. The gps will be off a little bit or sometimes a lot. But there is a GPS setting where you can modify current location, then adjust your location to where you know you are. after the re establishment of your location, you should be fine. I have done this about 2 or 3 times since I have had mine.

i thought about doing that, but i'm not about to zoom all the way out of california and try to find where i am. i think the thing that worked is if you turn the car off, reset it, and just let it sit there while it's off for awhile, then turn it back on.

Check your antenna connection. Both the physical connection to the unit and it's connection to the satellites/signal.

i will. this weekend when i have time, i'm gonna tear it apart, make sure all the wires are crimp well, and i think i'm gonna move the gps antenna to the a-pillar. i don't think leaving it on top of the d3 unit itself is working. it might be too hot or something. i do get full reception though...

I had a similar problem with my D3. It was working fine for a few days with the GPS antenna behind the dash. Suddenly it thought I'd moved from St Louis to Los Angeles. Here's how I fixed it.

I looked at my GPS signal strength (IIRC, it's off the Settings) and saw only 2 "bars" signal strength. I pulled over and moved the GPS antenna out from behind the dash. 3 bars, still in LA. Then I rolled down the window and clicked it onto the roof. 6 bars, doink, back in St Louis.

The GPS antenna just isn't good enough to work well enough unless it's on the roof. I tried a similar experiment with a Gilsson amplified antenna on my TomTom with similar results; it gets a fix almost instantly.

I've been debating whether to replace the Pioneer antenna with a Gilsson, but for the last 2 months the Pioneer seems to work fine. 8)

I had a similar problem the other day. I started my car up and it thought I was about a mile from where I actually was. I calculated a route to a location about 10 miles from me and it kept thinking I was 2-3 miles from the highway I was driving on.

I turned the car on/off no go. I was panicking until about 10 minutes later, it somehow locked onto the highway I was on.

The antenna didn't move. I didn't think to check the signal strength when this happened.

I'm hoping it's a one-time glitch.

Default start location for the D3 on reset is LA... no idea why but whatever!

bad signal and the GPS is forced to use Dead Recogning to figure your location. That means it uses it's built in gyroscope to figure out where you're turning and how fast and try and judge based on the loose signal from the GPS what street your own. Often.. Poorly.

Putting my receiver on my dashboard right under the windsheild yeilds full signal almost every time. Very rarely does it get the wrong street or think i missed an off ramp

I shouldn't have posted in this thread. Since then my GPS went crazy twice so far. Both times a soft reset fixed it, but it was annoying.

The antenna seems like it's in a good position, though. My AVIC N-1 never had this problem and the antenna was in the relative same spot. I'm wondering if it has to do with the unit itself, vs the antenna.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem with my brother's D3 it will work fine for most of the day and then with a turn it doesn't like it's stuck on LA and doesn't move only a hard reset will get it out of LA going to try and relocate the GPS antenna this weekendand hopefully it fixes the problem.

Both my D3 and my GF's D3 get lost, and suddenly think they are in New York, hundreds of miles away from our actual location. Both units have full strength signals when this happens. Using modify location can get you sort of in the ball park, but it's not quite right of course. The net effect is the unit telling you to turn when you are no where near the correct turn...

Resetting does NOT help. My diagnosis? It's a POS... This is the last Pioneer unit I will buy. My solution? Keep a Garmin in the glovebox...

this weekend remounted brothers antenna and put the metal plate under antenna since it wasn't mounted to metal had 6 bars worked fine for 2 days back to LA again today and when it does this it doesn't move or do anything anymore until a hard reset then it will start and leave LA..i'm guess it's a bad unit going to see how much warranty it still has left!

If your D3 constantly positions you in LA or NY your unit is defective and will need repair or replacement. This happened to two of my D3's. I believe this problem is starting to surface more and more as these units show their age. There are several reports of this on this site and I think we will see more of it.

• 2 weeks later...

thats what i'm afraid of as my D3 will work fine after a reset for 500-800 miles before it gets stuck in LA and needing a reset and the fact that it's just out of the 1 year warranty it's $200 to fix or attempt to fix as the last unit we sent N3 went in for a flex cable upgrade came back with DOA and after a second trip back to pioneer it now has engine noise but only that unit :(

• 1 month later...

I sent the D3 into pioneer for repair they sent it back and said checked all functions ok ...I was WTF? it all the functions do work but goes to LA after 500-800 miles of driving! almost like clock work those idiots just bench checked the unit and kick it back out... I replaced the antenna and relocated it with 5 -6 on signal..