AVIC411.com

Bluetooth stinks! Anyone else use it yet?

Ok, I got my bluetooth installed Wed night (two nights ago) and have some major problems with it.

My first is that the phone book was not accessable while the vehicle is in motion. Well, if you turn the lights on and off while it's booting, we fix that. so it's not that big of a deal.

My real problem is there seems to be no audio processing at all. When someone talks and you hear them though the speakers, the Z1 picks up thier voice and re-transmits it back to them. Everyone I have called (and it's about 3) says they hear themselves louder than me and with a really bad echo.

Anyone else confim this? Could it be me? My setup?
I've only used it 3 times. All 3 times I heard the person clearly. The person on the phone DID hear an echo, but it wasn't that bad according to them. They could hear me clearly. The thing about the phone book does suck. I noticed you can access the 5 favorites you add, but that doesn't cut it with me. Still can't download the phone book either. To be honest, I haven't used it enough yet, but my first impression wasn't that bad. FYI....the mic is on the visor, and the front speakers are in the door and I had it set for both left and right to work.
Guest spudwh0re
Make sure your mic is not pointing at a speaker, if that dosent help turn the volume down, if that dosent work then add a layer of grill cloth over the mic. If that dosent work, get drunk and forget about it.
[quote name="spudwh0re"]Make sure your mic is not pointing at a speaker, if that dosent help turn the volume down, if that dosent work then add a layer of grill cloth over the mic. If that dosent work, get drunk and forget about it.[/quote]

I have it up on the top of the A pillar, right where my Parrot CK3100 was placed. And that was PERFECT audio. And it uses the front car speakers just like the pioneer bluetooth does. Now the Parrot used a physicaly different microphone. But they were sitting in the same spot, and the front speakers are at the bottom of the doors.

So the Parrot was using a mic in the same location as the pioneer is. It was also using the same speakers as the pioneer is. It had NO echo. Peope tell me the pioneer one is really bad. It doesn't sound too bad to me, but they say it sucks. So I know it's not the speaker or microphone (unless the pioneer microphone is really that bad, at least it's not placement). Since the main differences between the Pioneer Z1/BT1 and my parrot CK3100 was the brain/sound processing.... I would say it's pioneer not doing appropriate sound processing.

That's just my guess. Unless anyone has actually used the bluetooth thing and doesn't have any echo for the other person.

And if you are going to use the bluetooth setup on the Z1 you are going to HAVE to do the bypass light on and off trick. The stuff they "grey out" with the parking brake off really limits the phone functionality. It has voice commands, but the voice commands won't even register if you have the parking brake off. You have to do the bypass trick to even make the functionality come close to the Parrot CK3100.
[quote name="dj2ndnature"]I have the Parrot and the D1 installed right now, should get my Z1 next week. I did order the BlueTooth as well, but maybe I should leave the Parrot in there for now and test out the Pioneer Bluetooth.[/quote]

The integration of your Parrot into your dash looks really really good. It took me a few minutes to even see where it was mounted. Very nice. And I can't wait for your opinion. I did a lot of research on bluetooth integration in the car and that CK3100 was the best I could find. How do you like yours? Sound quality? Integration with your phone and address book, etc...

And upgrading to the Z1 from the D1? Wow, I might not have made that upgrade but I can't wait to hear what you think of the bluetooth integration with the Z1. Please try it like pioneer intended (no bypass) first and then with the bypass if you wish and let us know.
Really? The Z1 is that bad? I really liked the idea of the 7inch, the new ipod and Sirus interfaces, the voice control, the new "bypass", and of coarse the phone stuff. Figured those were worth the upgrade.

I basically use the Parrot to check voice mail and listen to stuff, cause everyone has always been "huh? what? I can't hear you". I got sick of it and I really don't use it. Yes, it uploaded my whole phone book from my treo, but honestly, it's faster to find the number in my phone and hit talk than it is to fumble with the wheel on the Parrot and search. Don't get me wrong, it's great in the fact that it has my phone book, but I'd rather hold a phone closer to my face to dial.

Anyways, I will def give ya a review of both when I get it in!

Thanks!

[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="dj2ndnature"]
The integration of your Parrot into your dash looks really really good. It took me a few minutes to even see where it was mounted. Very nice. And I can't wait for your opinion. I did a lot of research on bluetooth integration in the car and that CK3100 was the best I could find. How do you like yours? Sound quality? Integration with your phone and address book, etc...

And upgrading to the Z1 from the D1? Wow, I might not have made that upgrade but I can't wait to hear what you think of the bluetooth integration with the Z1. Please try it like pioneer intended (no bypass) first and then with the bypass if you wish and let us know.[/quote][/quote]
[quote name="WetWork999"]I read somewhere that if you have Verizon that uploading of your phonebok with the BT is a real PITA. How does one go abotu hackin the Verizon firmware?

~WW[/quote]

It is usually impossible. With the Parrot, it will download your address book automatically over the DUN protocol. All Verizon gives you is handsfree and DUN. The handsfree is impossible to transfer anything over (except for voice). DUN if the unit supports it, no one really does except for Bitpim, Motorola Phone tools and Parrot car units. What you really need is OBEX and that's a huge protocol. I have a V710 and that is not even in my phone. They forgot and left it embedded in the second version of the V3c razor but the new version has it fully deleted. To hack a phone you need a USB to phone interface, usually a program or tool specifically designed for the make and model of the phone and someone who knows way more about phones than I to tell you what to switch or load. If it's not an inside job, who ever is hacking phones much blow up at least a few when playing.

Basically take the make and model of the phone and search the internet... phonescoop.com, howardforums.com, etc and someone somewhere will know what you can and can't do with your phone.
[quote name="dj2ndnature"]Really? The Z1 is that bad? I really liked the idea of the 7inch, the new ipod and Sirus interfaces, the voice control, the new "bypass", and of coarse the phone stuff. Figured those were worth the upgrade.[/quote]

Oh, don't get me started on the Sirius interface. I had it in my 300C and on the huge screen you get all 4 lines of info: The station name, Artist name, song name, and extra (what ever that is). On this huge 7 inch screen for the sirius interface, all you can see is one of those at a time, you have to cycle through them if you want to see them all. With all the screen real estate on the Z1, they couldn't have found room to put all the data sirius sends to the radio?

[quote name="dj2ndnature"]
I basically use the Parrot to check voice mail and listen to stuff, cause everyone has always been "huh? what? I can't hear you". I got sick of it and I really don't use it. Yes, it uploaded my whole phone book from my treo, but honestly, it's faster to find the number in my phone and hit talk than it is to fumble with the wheel on the Parrot and search. Don't get me wrong, it's great in the fact that it has my phone book, but I'd rather hold a phone closer to my face to dial.[/quote]

Something else people are now doing that is different than my 300C and the Parrot is. If you initiate a phone call with the 300C (chrysler uconnect) or the parrot, the car will automatically pic up the call and use the speakerphone in the car. So you can initiate a call with your phone and use the car. The AvicZ1 and my wife's new Acura will not do this. If you initiate the call with the car's speakerphone (or the Z1's bluetooth) the call will come though that. If you initiate the call through the phone, it will stay with the phone, unless you go through the phone's menu and manually transfer the call to the bluetooth after the call has connected. What a pain. So you will want to use the built in address book in the Z1 to make calls (which is blocked out while moving unless you do the bypass).

[quote name="dj2ndnature"]
Anyways, I will def give ya a review of both when I get it in![/quote]

Great, I can't wait to hear what other people with it think.
Those with Verizon Razr V3c, go here for info on hacking your firmware to Alltel to fully enable Bluetooth OBEX and OPP. Hopefully after flashing will help with the phonebook transfers to the AVIC-Z1. I have flashed my Razr, works get-I'll never go back to Verizon's stupid UI. Now just waiting for Pioneer to ship the damn Bluetooth adapter!

[color=red]Warning: Follow the instructions explicitly, otherwise you can do major damage to your phone.[/color]

[url=http://wiki.howardforums.com/motorola/index.php/Motorola_V3c_Tutorial:_Flashing_to_Alltel_User_Interface]http://wiki.howardforums.com/motorola/i ... _Interface[/url]