AVIC411.com

New System Installed...BIG Problems!

Equipment Installed Today: Pioneer 4000dvd HU, Pioneer 600W amp, two Infiniti 6.5" reference series speakers in the doors, 2 Sony Xplods in the rear, two 10" bazooka subs with a tiny bazooka amp and the zenclosures box, along with the Pioneer XM Tuner, Scosche NN1456B / NN1456, all new speaker wire ran throughout car, 5 Farad Capacitor, and Pac Steering Wheel controls.

Car: 2006 350z with Bose and Navigation.

I just picked the car up and overall the install looks very clean.

First Disappointment: The fit of the Scoshe DD Faceplate. In the lower drivers side corner it is sticking up and doesn't sit flush at all. Will be swapping out for the Metra kit when I find a local place that carries it.

Hop in the car excited to turn it on and I'm immediately disappointed again. There is a static going through all the speakers. The volume is only at a 6. The more I turn it up the louder the static gets and it's almost unbareable. Check out the settings and the fade is all the way up at 15 for the front speakers and yet the rears are still drowning them out.

Next source I go to is the radio. I can't get reception on any of the FM channels. Not even the most local one. Flip over to AM and I get a couple more, but still a lot of static.

XM Tuner sounds alright, but still static on that source and I can't tell if I'm getting a poor antenna signal or the speakers are still throwing everything off with the static.

They were able to mount both amps, the tuner, and the capacitor where the old Bose sub was. To be honest the stock system sounded a lot better than the current setup right now and I'm a little on the concerned side.

Any ideas on what might cause the static and the poor reception? It's almost like a hissing. I searched and saw that problem only occured while trying to integrate the bose amp. I am almost positive that is not the case since all new wires were ran.

I didn't go with component speakers for the doors...should I have? Is this why I'm hardly hearing them? I'm not sure how they mounted the speakers in the door, but should something special have been done in terms of mounting hardware?

I'm also hearing a clunking sound coming from around the dash as I drive and I can't seem to pinpoint the location because I'm afraid of going death from the static if I turn it up.

Please help! Pics will be posted tomorrow morning of the poor dash kit fit.

Maybe you should be discussing these issues with the people you payed to install the equipment? I mean, if I payed somebody to do something for me, I would expect them to do it right. And if they didn't, go back and demand that they do. Why spend your time fixing things when you've already payed them to do it?

Amen to what HiFiSi said, the equipment you had installed i'm sure cost a pretty penny plus the install.They should have not let you take possesion of the car knowing it wasn't right.They really don't sound too professional to me and I seriously doubt if they can fix it since thet let you take it knowing it wasn't right.But on the other hand you did pay your money so make them fix it or reimbuse you for some of the work and your time. Good Luck !!

Well I just went back to the install shop and here is what they told me...

They will have to file an insurance claim for the nicked up dash.

They suggested I order the Metra kit. He seemed suprised when I called him out on the finish and the lack of a screw holding the faceplate in. His excuse was he had to shim it.

When the Pioneer unit is turned all the way to zero volume there is still a whine throughout the speakers. He blamed the brand new Pioneer amp I bought from them. I get that things don't always work right out of the box, but this seems like a stretch.

Apparently the Pioneer unit (bear with me as I'm somewhat of a novice to this) does not have 4 RCA outputs. It only has the two and two for a sub. I'm running a 4 channel amp. When the fade is all the way to the front and I'm still getting wayyyy more sound of the rear speakers clearly something is wrong. I have decided to just go with a two channel amp for the front speakers and will just run the rears off the head unit. This will atleast allow me to get some fade with the speakers. I guess I could run all four off the head unit, but I'm really looking for some power for good sound.

When I have the XM tuner on I still am getting a hissing sound so I'm starting to think something isn't properly grounded. I barely get any reception from the standard radio and was told by the installer that he 'amped the antenna like he was supposed to.'

Anyone have any suggestions other than to find a new place to go to? Is this accurate with regards to the head unit not being compatible with a 4 channel amp and subs? And lastly, I am running two 10" subs but I don't really listen to rap or hip hop...more of a classic rock/alternative fan - is it possible to adjust the subs so I don't get as much thump as I'm going for more of a crisp and clear hit. Thanks for all of your help!

If I were him I would blame the new amp as well, but that is because they probably ran the amps power wire, and the RCA's on the same side of the car.

The the electromagnetic field the power line gives off is enough to distort the sound and make the speaks buzz.

Now I don't know exactly how your setup is, but you mentioned a second amp, which I am assuming is for the speakers, and your first is for your subwoofers. If this is correct, then I'd almost guarantee its the power wire by RCA's problem.

The car is going back in Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have the Metra dash kit by then.

I've decided to ditch the four channel Pioneer amp for a 2 channel amp and just boost the front two speakers and run the two rears off the head unit. This way I can at least get the subs running off the HU as well. Hopefully I'll have more control of the speakers because there is way too much sound coming from the rears and the fronts are almost invisible.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Ok, it sounds like a combination of problems to me...

First off, you can stick with the 4 channel amp and simply add a line out converter for the rear channels so you can then run RCA's for the rear as you will need to use the existing rear/sub pre outs for the subs. You will not want to run those off the HU.

Second, you have a grounding issue. I cannot tell you if it is a poorly grounded amp, or HU, but that is where the whine is coming from. They need to do a number of things for you to make it right. First off, like mentioned before, make sure the RCA is not run next to the power wire for the amp. Second, make sure you have a good ground for everything. They need to add the line out converter and hook up your rear speakers to the rear channel of the 4 channel amp. Then, they need to TEST it for you and make sure they got it fixed.

If none of that works, ask for all your install money back and take it to another shop.