AVIC411.com

D3 Navi Ticks me off

So from my understanding, i spent 700 on my d3, and then to get updated map disc, i have to pay another, like what 200 bucks or something? So thats how it is correct?

And like i know like for phone gps, it updates every month i think, why isnt the d3 like that?

forgive my if this is a double post, but it just makes me mad because i had to drive an extra 20 miles just because i didnt know there was a radioshack 10 miles away because the maps weren't up to date.

EVERY disc based navigation unit is like that, not just the D3, and not just Pioneer's units. If you don't like it, next time do some research before buying something that costs a substantial amount of money.

I'm pretty sure all GPS manufacturers charge customers for map updates. As far as turn by turn directions on cell phones, those map and directions are being sent to your cell phone from a database that can be updated way easier and more often than GPS devices of millions of units via the data plan on the phone. So, if your not already paying seperately for the GPS on your phone, your paying monthly for the data package you need to get to access it.

isn't it amazing that Garmin can sell a navigation disc of the entire U.S. for $100 but stereo companies sell them for over $200? Think it's a profit thing? Of course it is! The American way.

How is it "The American Way" when most or all of these companies are Japanese?

It's called business. Supply and demand. They have something we need, and they can charge whatever they want because they are the only (legal) source for it.

go to Japan, the parts are cheaper. The American Way is to charge what you can get for it. It doesn't make a difference who makes it, it matters who sells it. Why do you think American companies go overseas to make a product cheaper and ship it back to sell it here? The American way! If you think Pioneer pays even close to $200 for the disc I feel sorry for you.

Um... I never said Pioneer (or eclipse, or kenwood, etc.) payed jack to make the disks. I'm saying they can charge whatever they want for them because we have no other (legal) recourse but to buy it from them.

We dont need a legal recourse. These aren't needs, they are wants. We choose to purchase them and if we dont, we loose nothing. However, you basically reinforced my statement, It's the American Way, go to Japan or China and these are cheaper. Enjoy your weekend, I just finished converting all three Indiana Jones' movies to Divx and I'm on the road tomorrow!