AVIC411.com

On the fence F90BT or DNX 8120

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after this big thread did anybody buy the 8120 over the F90?

Yes, but its on back order. So I might cancel it and still get the "F" it a fix comes soon.

My local shop has 8120's in stock by the dozen. I hope to get one installed this week.

So after this big thread did anybody buy the 8120 over the F90?

I'm sticking with the F90. This was a tough decision, but after playing around with some of the features, and watching numerous video comparisons, I chose 2 keep my f90bt. I guess you could say "historically" I've always favored Pioneer over Kenwood. I've had both decks in my car before and always leaned towards Pioneer units.

I give the f90bt an 8 out of 10. As soon as they get the slowness lag issue and the VR catalog fixed (voice command sucks), it will be the perfect unit.

mikeinnj,

Using the GXM30, does XMNavTraffic get you all of that (Traffic, Stock, Weather) or do you need the full XM plus XMNavTraffic to get those things?

Thanks,

pat----

I wanna know this as well. How much does your service cost?

I have been messing around with my DNX8120 and my iphone. Like some of you I was frustrated with the lack of video support for my iPhone. I finally got it working with the Apple Component AV Cable and a few adaptors. I am posting here because I think this solution will probably work for the AVIC users. The total cost is around $57. This can replace the standard Kenwood/Pioneer ipod cable ($30). I pay $27 more but now I get video output.

Instruction:

I had the original kenwood interface iPod cable that I purchased with the DNX8120. One thing I know in the new iPod Touch and iPhone is that they require an authentication chip in the cable to output video. Basically instead of using the Kenwood Ipod cable, I replace it with the Apple component video cable ($49). The Kenwood cable output both audio and video with 1/8" AV jacks. The Apple Component Cable output in phono jacks (red, white and yellow). I purchased from radio shack two adaptors for about $8. One takes audio (Red and White cables) phono jacks and convert them into a stereo 1/8" jack. For the video I got an adaptor that convert it into mono 1/8" jack. Now connect everything back with the new cable. Well everything is working. See the pictures attachments.

Important NOTE:

I notice sometime the video won't come on. I spent the last two days to make sure I understand why. I finally figure it out. When you want video to output from the iPhone or iPod Touch, you need to make sure the "IPOD Accessory Attached" screen is on your iPhone. Please check out the attached video. If you are really stuck try to reset the iPod application by holding down the HOME button in IPOD application for 5 secs and try it again.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.

post-414-12872754626817_thumb.jpg

post-414-12872754631046_thumb.jpg

post-414-1287275463444_thumb.jpg

post-414-12872754637901_thumb.jpg

I'm getting the kenwood ddx812/gna510 combo tomorrow. It's basically the same as the 8120 but with outboard nav module. The one most frustrating thing for me was getting audio dropouts while playing a cd and navigating at the same time. The dropouts were definitely happening while the nav was updating. This to me was unacceptable.

I'll join the pile-on. I just finished a quick install (haven't hidden any wires yet) of the 8120 to replace my F900BT. The Pioneer's bugs were killer, but if it were only the bugs, I might have stuck it out and waited for a fix. Here are the reasons I switched (which I don't think will be addressed by Pioneer until a new model comes out, based on their past behavior):

I should note that the F900BT was my third Pioneer Nav unit in a row and my sixth Pioneer head unit in a row.

1. Talking on a bluetooth call locks out the rest of the system. If someone is giving me an address over the phone, I have to find somewhere to write it down and enter it after the call.

2. You can't manually edit the bluetooth phonebook. My phone (Nextel i580) seems to be incapable of transferring contacts, so I'm forced to manually dial everything. There seems to be absolutely no other way of getting contacts into the unit.

3. Like all other Pioneer Nav units I've had in the past, the unit bitches about an incorrectly wired parking break control when it is definitely wired correctly and works exactly as it should.

4. Screen was difficult to impossible to use if it catches any direct sunlight from an angle. And since you have no tilt control, you just have to wait until the road curves.

5. Can't just search the POI database by entering a name (unless you set it up as a pre-defined search).

6. Interruptions to the audio mute rather than paused my iPod. I didn't actually investigate this too deeply, there may be a configuration to make it pause the iPod instead.

7. No RDS on the FM tuner. I don't understand why Pioneer used to have this on all their higher end head units in the U.S., and now none of them have it. They dropped it right about the time most U.S. stations finally started broadcasting it. Doh!

8. No ability to name AM/FM stations/presets.

9. No ability to take a detour off the route without being constantly bitched at. This has been a problem on all my past Pioneer Nav units.

10. 2D map is always north-up. This is very unintuitive while following a route.

11. Doesn't tell you which side of the street for your destination.

12. After I look up gas prices, I can't figure out how to get the gas stations icons off of the map.

13. Long startup to reach full iPod control.

14. Idiotic pop-up messages that stay on the screen and block the underlying user interface.

15. It wouldn't recognize my CB-RD10 (P-bus aux in) to allow me to add another audio input.

16. Touch-screen response is very inconsistent. This has almost caused accident for me.

Having said all that, there are a few things I will miss from the F900BT:

1. The high-res display was much nicer than the Kenwood (as long as the sun didn't hit it).

2. The built-in and cheap MSN Direct.

3. The volume control knob (although the F900BT's is way too stiff).

4. Voice control of the iPod.

My 8120 is in the hands of FedEx and the install scheduled for late next week! Like many of us, my frustration and disappointment with Pioneer finally exceeded the maximum threshold of tolerance and acceptability.

Combined with my Memphis 4-channel amp, Alpine 5X7 R's, Boyo back-up and GXM-30, I think I'll be ret-to-go!

Ive had my DNX8120 about a week now........ I can honestly say I will never buy a Pioneer nav unit again. This thing absolutely blows away every Pioneer unit I have owned. The speed, UI, Ipod control, usb, and everything else kust kills my former Pioneer units. Guys dont wait on these F series units. Get the Kenwood. Im not talkin sh1t about Pioneer but dam I really love this thing! Oh yea the Parrot bluetooth rocks also. My wife says I sound alot better than my BTB200.