AVIC411.com

speed sensor and back up wire

noob question here....I just hooked up the Speed-sensor wire and the back-up light wire. I dont notice any difference from when I was driving around without those wires hooked up. what do these wires really do to the unit as far as information? does it really make that big of a difference? I went about 2 weeks without hooking them up and everything seemed to work fine for me.

any input?

Neither are a necessary connection. They just help the nav unit stay accurate, especially when it's in an area with limited or no satellite signal.

wouldnt the speed sensor wire not help that much tho?

say your in a tunnel and you lose gps but the speed sensor wire still knows how fast your movin....what if the tunnel curves left, the speed wire alone wont know what direction your going..

No... The unit tends to keep you on the road as far as mapping goes. If you are running around a long curve and lose satellite signal, the VSS will tell the nav that the car is still in motion, and the unit will keep plotting you along, ON THE PATH OF THE ROAD YOU ARE ON, not in a straight line. Once it re-establishes satellite signal, it will attempt to re-calibrate it's location if there is any kind of discrepancy.

On the D3, there were also internal gyros that helped the nav unit negotiate turns and changes in altitude, which helped tremendously when the signal was lost. I'm not sure, but there has been discussion that the F90 also has these internal gyros, but no concrete answer has been discovered.

No... The unit tends to keep you on the road as far as mapping goes. If you are running around a long curve and lose satellite signal, the VSS will tell the nav that the car is still in motion, and the unit will keep plotting you along, ON THE PATH OF THE ROAD YOU ARE ON, not in a straight line. Once it re-establishes satellite signal, it will attempt to re-calibrate it's location if there is any kind of discrepancy.

On the D3, there were also internal gyros that helped the nav unit negotiate turns and changes in altitude, which helped tremendously when the signal was lost. I'm not sure, but there has been discussion that the F90 also has these internal gyros, but no concrete answer has been discovered.

hmm...i learn somethin new from u everyday. thanks for all the replies :D

do you do car electronics for a living, or its just a passion you have? cuz u deff know what ur talking about in just about every topic.

I'm an architectural designer, so it's not my job or anything. I used to install car stereos on the side when I was younger, but that was quite a few years ago. I don't really do it much anymore, aside from my own vehicle(s). I just kinda... know things about stuff.

I'm an architectural designer, so it's not my job or anything. I used to install car stereos on the side when I was younger, but that was quite a few years ago. I don't really do it much anymore, aside from my own vehicle(s). I just kinda... know things about stuff.

o thats cool, thats what i was goin to school for, but turns out it wasnt really for me :? i really wanna get certified for car electronics and open up a shop, but just like architecture its a cut throat competition, especially here where you have circuit city and best buy 5 miles apart plus about 4 well known audio places...

but bak to the vss, about the gyro... IF the 900s and 90s have an internal gyro, which does know direction and speed (the Z has a compass and speedometer in the dynamics) then would installing the speed wire still be necessary since itd know where and how fast youre going?

• 2 weeks later...

This is for HiFiSi about the gyro myth::

i have the f700bt, and a few days ago i jus put the speeding warning on. i was on the highway today and it told me i was speeding, but i dont have the vss wire hooked up..is it safe to say that they have a built in gyro? cuz how else would it know if i was goin too fast or not? Thanks!

This is for HiFiSi about the gyro myth::

i have the f700bt, and a few days ago i jus put the speeding warning on. i was on the highway today and it told me i was speeding, but i dont have the vss wire hooked up..is it safe to say that they have a built in gyro? cuz how else would it know if i was goin too fast or not? Thanks!

It can get speed info from your GPS signal. A gyro can not sense what speed you are going, or what direction you are pointing. It can only sense CHANGES in speed, direction, incline, and elevation.

I don't have my VSS hooked up and if i compare the speed (you can put this to display in the navi settings), it's exactly what my speedo reads. I'm convinced that the device only uses this for voltage, not for an actual signal. I'm not saying i'm correct, this is just my personal belief.

^ Like it has been said before, if you have a good GPS signal you don't need it as the unit gets it's speed reading from the GPS signal. BUT, if you lose signal, the speed sensor wire will help keep the nav accurate.