AVIC411.com

Is June 2006 safe bet or not?

I was thinking on picking up another unit and the ones they have are June 2006.

Has anybody had a problem with a June model and the bypass?

I wont be installing it for a few months (actually having it installed) until my lease is up.

I don’t want to waste 2k on a unit that cant be bypassed.

Thanks!
There was one report of the bypass not working on a June 06 unit. This could have been an installer error, or something. Also there was one report of a July 06 where it did work. I don't know if there is a clear line or a "safe" month until you go back to May. May is safe. June is a good chance, July is a bad chance, and Aug is no chance.... at least so far.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]There was one report of the bypass not working on a June 06 unit. This could have been an installer error, or something. Also there was one report of a July 06 where it did work. I don't know if there is a clear line or a "safe" month until you go back to May. May is safe. June is a good chance, July is a bad chance, and Aug is no chance.... at least so far.[/quote]

Is there any way to "bench test" a unit. Or is the motion/speed sensor what must be tested while the vehicle is moving?
[quote name="drober30"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]There was one report of the bypass not working on a June 06 unit. This could have been an installer error, or something. Also there was one report of a July 06 where it did work. I don't know if there is a clear line or a "safe" month until you go back to May. May is safe. June is a good chance, July is a bad chance, and Aug is no chance.... at least so far.[/quote]

Is there any way to "bench test" a unit. Or is the motion/speed sensor what must be tested while the vehicle is moving?[/quote]

I believe the main trigger is the parking brake wire connection. So, doing a bench test should work. From my understanding, the internal motion sensors kick in if they detect motion with the parking brake disengaged. The DB bybass/flash bypass disable the sensors from locking the Z1 while in motion. With the bench test, just ground the parking brake wire and that should tell you if the DB circuit works. I'm sure Steve can elaborate on this if I am incorrect.
[quote name="drober30"]Is there any way to "bench test" a unit. Or is the motion/speed sensor what must be tested while the vehicle is moving?[/quote]

You do not have to be moving or have the Z1 installed in a vehicle to see if it's one of the "good" (old) ones.

To bench test that the flasher will work (either manually or with my circuit).

Do NOT connect the parking brake sense wire to anything. Connect black to ground, red and yellow to 12 volts and when the unit boots up touch the orange/white wire to the 12v and remove it. Do it a few times, when you boot up, this will simulate the flashing of the headlights. Make sure you do this "flashing" at the right times, there is a sweet spot about 5 seconds after the unit receives 12V and before 8 seconds.

If the parking brake wire is NOT grounded, and you do this, then hit MENU (if you see the disclaimer hit OK and hit MENU again) look for the ADDRESS SEARCH and POI SEARCH buttons. If they are available then that unit will work with the flasher. If they are NOT available (they are grayed out) then that unit will NOT work (no bypass yet for this).
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="drober30"]Is there any way to "bench test" a unit. Or is the motion/speed sensor what must be tested while the vehicle is moving?[/quote]

You do not have to be moving or have the Z1 installed in a vehicle to see if it's one of the "good" (old) ones.

To bench test that the flasher will work (either manually or with my circuit).

Do NOT connect the parking brake sense wire to anything. Connect black to ground, red and yellow to 12 volts and when the unit boots up touch the orange/white wire to the 12v and remove it. Do it a few times, when you boot up, this will simulate the flashing of the headlights. Make sure you do this "flashing" at the right times, there is a sweet spot about 5 seconds after the unit receives 12V and before 8 seconds.

If the parking brake wire is NOT grounded, and you do this, then hit MENU (if you see the disclaimer hit OK and hit MENU again) look for the ADDRESS SEARCH and POI SEARCH buttons. If they are available then that unit will work with the flasher. If they are NOT available (they are grayed out) then that unit will NOT work (no bypass yet for this).[/quote]

Thanks for the info!!!

I don't have any experience in installing a car radio but I have confidence that I can follow your straight forward instructions.

Question: Can I twist the yellow/red together and run straight to my positive post on the car battery? The ground straight to the negative post on my car battery? Then tap the orange/white wire to my positive post on the car battery? Is going straight to the car battery 12V?

If so that’s pretty easy.
I just had a June 2006 AVIC-Z1 installed this past Saturday and Ducatiboy's flasher worked as advertised. I couldn't be happier. My only problem is with my XM satellite radio with NavTraffic, and I don't think the flasher device had anything to do with that. It keeps telling me to check the antenna. The antenna has been checked and is connected.Everything else about the AVIC-Z1 works beautifully. I just wish I could get my satellite radio to work so I could see how that looks and sounds, as well as use the traffic features on my AVIC-Z1 too.
[quote name="drober30"]
Thanks for the info!!!

I don't have any experience in installing a car radio but I have confidence that I can follow your straight forward instructions.

Question: Can I twist the yellow/red together and run straight to my positive post on the car battery? The ground straight to the negative post on my car battery? Then tap the orange/white wire to my positive post on the car battery? Is going straight to the car battery 12V?

If so that’s pretty easy.[/quote]

Basically yes, but the Z1 is going to draw 2 amps when it's running, that will create quite a "spark" when it's powered up.

It's a little difficult to test on the bench, but yes you can.

I would connect the black to - terminal (ground). Then connect the yellow to +12V. When you connect the red to 12V it will draw the 2 amps through the yellow wire (which is already connected), which is why I would have it connected first. But yes, you can then touch the orange/white wire to the positive terminal to simulate the lights turning on and off. Very little current goes through the red or orange/white wires.

Doing something like this can be dangerous and can possibly lead to a fried Z1, if you don't know what you are doing or don't feel comfortable then please let a professional try this. (disclaimer off)
[quote name="rapayn1"]I just had a June 2006 AVIC-Z1 installed this past Saturday and Ducatiboy's flasher worked as advertised. I couldn't be happier. My only problem is with my XM satellite radio with NavTraffic, and I don't think the flasher device had anything to do with that. It keeps telling me to check the antenna. The antenna has been checked and is connected.Everything else about the AVIC-Z1 works beautifully. I just wish I could get my satellite radio to work so I could see how that looks and sounds, as well as use the traffic features on my AVIC-Z1 too.[/quote]

Did you install it yourself? If not have the installer check the antenna (he could just connect another antenna to the Z1 and run the wire out the window temporarily to see if you get a signal). It sounds like either a bad antenna or the antenna wire got kinked somewhere. The micro coax is pretty fragile; a kink or bend in the antenna wire could cause it to short internally.
I had an installer do the work. He thinks the unit may be defective. The problem is I bought the unit from Crutchfield. So, in order to send it back and get an RMA, I have to have them take the unit out and then wait X number of days to have Crutchfield receive my unit and send me another one. I would probably just opt to have the installer sell me the unit and that way if there is a defect, it can be replaced instantly. The thing that is weird is that the AVIC-Z1 recognizes that there is an XM radio connected. It just keeps saying check antenna and the antenna is connected and plugged in.
[quote name="rapayn1"]I had an installer do the work. He thinks the unit may be defective. The problem is I bought the unit from Crutchfield. So, in order to send it back and get an RMA, I have to have them take the unit out and then wait X number of days to have Crutchfield receive my unit and send me another one. I would probably just opt to have the installer sell me the unit and that way if there is a defect, it can be replaced instantly. The thing that is weird is that the AVIC-Z1 recognizes that there is an XM radio connected. It just keeps saying check antenna and the antenna is connected and plugged in.[/quote]

If the installer can sell you the unit then he must have an antenna he can plug in to test. If the Z1 recognizes the XM but reports a bad antenna I would bet money the antenna wire is damaged. No need to send it back to Crutchfield and wait for a replacement. Have them try another antenna.