AVIC411.com

playing around in "test mode"

Exploring (viewing) is fine, I probably will do that some this evening. Just don't delete!

Again, you seem to be missing the point, you can't delete. Once you take a copy of the file system on your card you can do whatever you want to it, but you can't (at least for now) get it back onto the system. *sigh*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually Flash ROMs and can be written to.

Yes, obviously with the update last night I know they can be written to. I even specifically without using their Flash ROM writer all you can do is pull stuff off the flash, not write to it. Please reread my comment above

Have you tried?

Not that I would recommend modifying the system, but I have a hard time believe that it is not writeable. It is no more Read Only than the SD card you insert for the update. They are all Flash ROMs.

It shows up in My Computer as a standard drive from what I recall.

How about this. How about YOU try.

You're missing the point and getting hung up that I keep calling it an unwriteable Flash ROM. It's unwriteable until we can figure out a way to use the white/blue screen updater. Once it boots up it's locked. You've obviously never done this before concerning WinCE devices/GPSs. Start reading up on gpspassion.com please.

I disagree, I will test this evening. In fact, didnt someone install a bluetooth wireless connection to Windows CE on this board? If they did that, they wrote to the Flash Drive, and have proven the point.

I am fairly certain we don't need a magic white/blue screen updater to write to a Flash Drive. I am always the first to admit I could be wrong, of course. But as I posted above, if I can copy a file to the desktop, then mission accomplished.

tacomaboy, is it possible to copy the files onto your sd card and then play with it on your desktop? so you can explore but not mess up the unit?

...I already wrote this in teh FIRST post of the thread:

"I used this to copy and back up my f90bt's file system onto my sd card."

Edited:

Have you put anything TO the desktop?

I partially misread his post. But if you can copy a file to the desktop of the Windows CE, then the file system is writable.

if any of this sounds retarded im sry im very inexperenced with computers but:

isnt there some way to locate the sd card in the windows ce? like when hooking up an ipod to ur computer you can see what drive its installed in if you go into my computer. if you can then shouldnt you be able to click and drag things onto the desktop?

again i probably have no idea what im talkin about, jsu throwin it out there..

if any of this sounds retarded im sry im very inexperenced with computers but:

isnt there some way to locate the sd card in the windows ce? like when hooking up an ipod to ur computer you can see what drive its installed in if you go into my computer. if you can then shouldnt you be able to click and drag things onto the desktop?

again i probably have no idea what im talkin about, jsu throwin it out there..

Yes, open up My Computer. As I recall, its in there.

By the way, if you are not too experienced... I wouldnt mess with it.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108990#108990

Looks like ballmatic has our answer.

Please stop. He didn't do any of that, he was just musing what's possible with test mode. You still have to get over the complication of actually writing to the system. Which he didn't. You want to shut me up? Take a picture of you running winamp for WinCE or any other CE5.0 application. Until then, please just stop. Also, CatchMeIfYouCan631 I've already pointed this out once before, I did just that. I put in my SD card, copied the files from the AVIC to the SD, but the reverse is not possible yet.

Please stop. He didn't do any of that, he was just musing what's possible with test mode. You still have to get over the complication of actually writing to the system. Which he didn't. You want to shut me up? Take a picture of you running winamp for WinCE or any other CE5.0 application. Until then, please just stop. Also, CatchMeIfYouCan631 I've already pointed this out once before, I did just that. I put in my SD card, copied the files from the AVIC to the SD, but the reverse is not possible yet.

you dont have to bold your words i read what you wrote the first time. and secondly not once did i address anything to you so cool your jets

and also i meant locating anything you put on the sd card inside the unit and then dragging things from that sd card onto the avic desktop since you were all talking about not being able to get things onto the CE desktop

you dont have to bold your words i read what you wrote the first time. and secondly not once did i address anything to you so cool your jets

and also i meant locating anything you put on the sd card inside the unit and then dragging things from that sd card onto the avic desktop since you were all talking about not being able to get things onto the CE desktop

You obviously missed the entire point of this thread, or the exchange that tacomaboy and I have been having. The CE desktop is the AVIC desktop.

headwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gif

You obviously missed the entire point of this thread, or the exchange that tacomaboy and I have been having. The CE desktop is the AVIC desktop.

headwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gifheadwall.gif

Well, have you actually tried? If you have then I freely admit I am wrong... if not, how can you be so sure I am not?

So this implies you may be correct, unrequited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE

I am not familiar with CE but I have programmed on a Real Time Linux build for years... and this is a pretty poor RT system.

However, trying to understand how the "closed system" works is giving me a bit of grief. I suppose the entire CE File System can prevent writing. But to me that seems to be a software limitation and not a hardware limitation.

I guess I will mess with it this evening, and see what I can find.

Wow, everybody seems to be losing their cool on this thread. C'mon, chill out. I will say this though...

You don't have to write something from the SD card/USB drive to the CE desktop in order to execute an application. So in theory, you could put whatever CE program you wanted onto the SD card and run it with read/write access. As long as you have access to a GUI (Windows CE) in this case, things should work.

What is stunning is the AVIC-F application obviously runs on top of Windows CE. And Windows CE isn't that slow at booting up, its everything else (including the AVIC-F application). So technically there might be ways to speed up the boot times. But not by much since it always goes back to hardware limitations. I knew I should have bought that Windows XP navigation system from Crutchfield instead! D'oh!

unrequited - You were able to backup your f900 you said to your SD. How does this backup compare with the update package? Or is the update one a single compiled file? If you can compare your backed up original f900 to the updated maybe we can determine what some of the files on it do.